Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

A Gritty Mix Re pot ~ Sharing Results and Pics..

jojosplants
13 years ago

I really needed to move my Amaryllis to a bigger pot last night, and since things are kinda slow here, I thought i'd share some pictures.

I got the bulb last April, no roots.. Potted it up in the Gritty Mix.

{{gwi:55722}}

It had a very small bulb also..

{{gwi:30305}}

After just a few months in the gritty mix, this was growing great! And kept growing! LOL!

First I must say, she did NOT want to come out of the 6" pot she was in..So needless to say, it was time for a new one. ;-)

{{gwi:55723}}

I was absolutely amazed at the roots it has! I've seen many a picture here, but to see the results of using the gritty mix for yourself is something!

Beautiful white roots, and not a single one had any bad spots!

Even my 13 yr old son was amazed! He's been gardening with me for 10 yrs. now.. and has seen some pretty scary roots. lol..

He ran and got a few of his plants and wanted them switched to the gritty right then and there last night! ROFL!

{{gwi:4362}}

{{gwi:55724}}

{{gwi:55726}}

Her offset grew cosiderably!! And has a nice healthy set of roots to! So I seperated them last night.

{{gwi:55727}}

The beautiful blooms last spring~

Cant' wait to see more. :-)

{{gwi:30304}}

{{gwi:55728}}

{{gwi:55729}}

And their new pot.

That's her daughter bulb off to the left, the same tiny one in the pics up top. She's catching up to mamma real fast!

{{gwi:55731}}

There are a handful here I cant thank enough, for taking the time to teach me about this wonderful mix! :-)

Josh~Mike~Al~Jodi~Nancy...

You guys are the best!

I have healthy, beautiful plants now! And friends and family anxious for spring, to try the mixes now too!

I'm gonna be busy! LOL!

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, and if anyone else has plants growing in the gritty mix they'd like to share, please do!

JoJo

Comments (16)

• monet_g
    13 years ago

JoJo-
    Very nice roots. I agree - "Beautiful white roots, and not a single one had any bad spots!" That's why I love Al's mix, too. I began collecting clivia seriously about 18 mouths ago, but not without a lot of trials and tribulations, including root rot. Early this year I moved all of the plants into the "Gritty Mix".

I haven't had to re-pot, but this one was tipped and the nice roots were exposed.
    {{gwi:6383}}

I'm sure the roots have filled up the pot well.

We talk about the roots looking so great in the "gritty mix", but look at your Amaryllis' top growth. We owe that growth to the mix, too.
    Well done,
    Gail

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Great job, guys!!! I'd just like to say that (the collective) you are the ones making all the effort and putting things together in a way that ensures they will work, so the credit goes to you. The soil just makes your job easier ..... but I AM glad it's working out for you! I really love seeing/hearing evidence of your successes. Way to go! ;o)

Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

JoJo,
    thanks for posting these pics!
    The Board has been dreadfully slow....so it was nice to come home to this!
    As Above So Below - healthy roots, healthy top growth!

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Gail~ Thanks for your kind words and joining in!
    Yes, the top has grown wild! LOL! It's a beautiful plant, almost 3 ft tall!
    We do owe that growth to the mix. ;-).
    I love the picture you posted!
    And it sounds like your fairly new to using these mixes too, and enjoying the results as much as I am. :)
    The roots look awsome, and like a bunch of fingers reaching into a bowl of "crunchy" stuff, as a friend of mine has said. ;-)

I can't get over how clean they are! LOL! I did'nt rinse them before taking the picture.

Like I said, we've seen some pretty scary roots come out of peat mixes, so when I saw these for myself, it was like WOW! :-)

Looks like they have a good hold in that pot too. Guess that explains why it stayed put when it tiped.

I grabed mine by the bulb and the pot lifted with it. LOL!

Al~
    Thanks. :-) True we are the ones putting forth the effort, but your sharing, teaching and patience, is what gave us the incentive. ;-) So still a huge thanks goes to you.

Josh~ Hello friend!
    Good to see you!
    Slow here,? Didn't even notice. LOL!
    Glad you like the pictures.. you know, the more I look at them the more they remind me of someone we know. ;-)
    I know you must have some pictures you could share. Peppers started in the gritty mix perhaps? ;-).

I hope others will join and post pictures.

Doesn't have to be roots ;-).. Would love to see other types of plants that are being grown in the gritty mix. :-)

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Jojo..

Look at those beautiful white roots and so many too! Fantastic..
    I am so happy you learned of this new mix and even discovered this forum..

Great job!

Hello everyone and I hope you are all doing great..It is a very busy time of the year..After the Holiday's, we will all be looking for more great info such as..

Mike

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HI Mike!
    A little birdie told me about the mixes and the forum. I think you know him. ;-)

Here's the pineapple I rooted in the gritty mix, this past summer. It's growing well!

{{gwi:55496}}

{{gwi:55498}}

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Jojo,

That plant is absolutley beautiful in form and color..I never knew a pineapple plant could look so nice in a container..Amazing..It almost looks like some type of agave..

How is your fig tree now? Mine is still being stored in a shed with temps in the lower 40's..They seem quite happy and healthy..

Thank you for sharing..Good job

Mike

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mike!
    Thanks.. :)
    Good to see you! :-)

I do love the plant! It started out, grins and giggles just to see if I could root one.

I love the silver look to it. I belive they are part of the bromiliad family.

All the leaves are the new ones! The original died off as it was getting roots. I was a little late getting it put in the gritty. ;-)

But, it's growing like crazy. In the spring I will move it to a better pot and set it outside for the summer.

The fig is still mis-behaving! LOL! And talked one of the others to start growing too. Ugh! LOL!

We've been unusually warm this season.
    Cool and rainy today.. but even at that our lows are in the 40's and tomorrow we start to climb back up into the mid to high 70's.

Take care everyone.

JoJo

13 years ago

Hey, JoJo!
    Are you guys getting any of these rainstorms that we're enjoying on the other side of the Sierras?
    More storms are forecast....

We're hitting 30F pretty regularly over-night.

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Hey, all - How about joining me in a HAPPY BIRTHDAY wish for the kid?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JJ!!!!!!.

{{gwi:12455}}

Al

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cute Al! lol!
    And a huge thank you.. ;-)

But, I should warn you, i'm a get even kind of kid. ;-)

Thanks again,
    For the nice surprise and nice end to a long day.

JJ

Josh!
    I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner.. puter problems again. :(

We had a little rain a few days ago.. and it's been cloudy with 20% chance.. but none so far.
    I hope your doing O.K.
    I see on the news it's getting bad there.
    JoJo

13 years ago

Happy birthday, JoJo!
    Maybe a computer for your birthday? ;)

Yeah, we got hammered, but no flooding!
    Sure, I had to bail water off my cold-frame...but that's the joy of wild weather...

Josh

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday, JoJo!

I can't believe I missed this thread... though it's not unusual for me to be a day late and a dollar short! I always seem to arrive late to the good parties! ;-)

Way to grow, JoJo! You've got some extremely healthy roots going on, there... and I know why! Because they were allowed the aeration and drainage necessary to function as they should!

I'm guessing that's an "H. Lemon Sorbet" you have, there... a lovely green flower with slight hints of yellow. She's a real beauty! She and her daughters will give you years of enjoyment if cared for well... and it appears you have the care part well in hand!

A very nice re-potting tutorial... thanks for sharing!

Other photos are nice, too... the pineapple growing so well, the fleshy roots of a healthy Clivia... the slight variations in gritty mixes and how well they work...

Well... better late than never, it is said... I'm just sorry I'm late to wish a Happy Birthday to a good friend. I hope your day was everything you hoped for, JoJo!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Josh,
    Thankyou for the Birthday wishes! No new puter for my birthday.. But it's a nice thought. ;-)
    I hope your drying out! So good to hear your not where it's flooding!
    I know your tree is thankful you bailed the water. ;-)
    You want to see some of the joys of wild weather, come see me during monsoons. :-)

Jodi~
    Thank you too! Late wishes are just as special as on time, espicially when it's from a friend as dear as you!

I'll tell you, I was so excited to see those roots! It's the first i've repotted.

I believe it's lemon lime, but would need to find the info. I got her as a bulb from ebay. she is a beauty! Thank you.
    I owe alot of her good care to your help. :-)

I hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday!
    JoJo

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Ah... "Lemon Lime". Another of the green colored beauties! If you like green blooms, "Evergreen" is a spectacular variety to have! The flowers are more of a true green, and the bulb is a very prolific bloomer!

Well... the proof is in the roots. I don't think you can argue against how well the bulb is doing in its present medium! Of course, it's your care and understanding of how the medium works... but those roots are a good advertisement for a fast draining, inorganic way of growing!

It's always my pleasure to help if I possibly can. But it's your hard work and watchful eye that's responsible, JoJo. Great growing! :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

The proof is in the roots for SURE!!

Good morning everybody!! Happy holidays and a big HUG to Jojo for making it through another year unscathed, in good health and happy plants!
    That green IS beautiful..
    Where do you get these unique nor your everyday dime a dozen bulbs anyway? I would love to try one.

Everyone agrees the roots look great in the gritty mix. Well, wait until I show you the roots to my Clivia..

Happy growing and wishing you all the best!

Mike