Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A special Orchid question for Al/Tapla

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

Al, I have never wanted to grow Orchids like I want to do so now, especially the fragrant ones.

I have been looking at web sites for Orchids and E-bay and everyone one of them sells SPECIAL Orchid food for blooms which usually has a much higher middle number. I saw one that had read 10.50.10!

Now I know that growing orchids is much different in the sense that many are grown on bark which drains more than freely with salts not something to build up as in soil mixtures.. I consider them a whole different species than tropical plants. Some are aroid needing just spraying on the ariel roots.

Does the same hold true for them to be satisfied with just a regular dose of Foliage Pro, or do they really need a much higher does of Phosphate to do the trick to encourage blooms?

My gut feeling tells me to feed them as I would all my other plants, and yet I do not want to assume anything since all these websites are either lying, money hungry, or just plain ole stupid.

Even the hydrponics store I just got back from tried to sell me a special food for helping orchids during their just vegitative stage, the one for their budding stage come the spring and both Urea free.

Here are a couple of sites I would love you to see what I am talking about. Thanks so much!

http://hirts-gardens.hostedbywebstore.com/Better-Gro-Orchid-Water-Soluble-16oz/dp/B004Z6JOXY?traffic_src=bing_shopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=bing_shopping

Here is a link that might be useful: Food for Orchids

Comments (15)

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Orchids require less fertilizer than most plants. Fact is, Orchids can live without much nutrients at all. They grow very slow so fertilizer must be very small.

"I saw one that had read 10.50.10"

Pro growers would understand a basic 20-20-20 will do ok. But 12-6-13 is the best numbers for Orchids just to let you know.

20-10-10 are used where breaking down of bark is a problem.

Hope this answer to your question helped.

;)

• susan2010
    12 years ago

Not that I'm suggesting you buy it, but if you're interested, Repotme.com does sell the Mish. State formula. They also have the complete report available for free download.

You'll enjoy orchids, I think. I love that when they bloom, the flowers stay around for so long. I have several budding right now. (And it is nice that so many bloom in the winter when we really need flowers.)

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

meyermike_1micha, you might be interested in the series of articles; follow the link.
    Argo

• penfold2
    12 years ago

Here's something I wrote about fertilizers in the orchid forum.

The uselessness of high phosphorus levels

The orchid tissue analysis that I posted found a relatively low percentage of P as expected, but also found a much higher percentage of K than expected. I use FP 9-3-6 on all my orchids, but thought about adding some Pro-tekt 0-0-3 after finding that article. I haven't bought a bottle of Pro-tekt yet, but maybe I will next spring. Most of my orchids are growing very slowly right now, if at all.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much everyone!

I really appreciate the reminders and confirmation about how orchids can perform their best. I have never had success with them and was always afraid to try, that is before I met Al and joined this forum.

So here I go again thanks to you all.

Al, I have plenty to read come the Holiday when I have 7 days off. Thank you and Penfold to!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hello!

I'm glad you posed this question, Mike, and I'm glad for the excellent responses.
    As you know, I, too, have an Orchid that I am growing. It is my first, so I have nothing
    against which to compare. I have mine in a mix of screened fir bark, red pumice,
    and perlite (I might have some Turface in there, as well). I've been fertilizing every
    few weeks with Foliage Pro.

For a while now, I've been meaning to purchase Pro-TeKt 0-0-3, and this gives me good cause.

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

Hello;
    i am new to this forum. Have & had plants in containers "forever" & after reading a lot on this forum (especially Al's extremely interesting articles about soil etc.),I realized that I have tortured all of them...Since topic is orchids, few of my questions-comments: I have 4 Phalaenopsis and a Ludisia (jewel orchid). They should be re-potted soon - seems like I should replant all of Phals into a 511(?).Two of them are flowering right now, 3rd has a new flower spike. How about Ludisia(some info I found:Jewel orchids are terrestrial and thus prefer equal parts of soil and peat moss with perlite as a drainage additive). I have to say I am surprised any of my plants are still alive...don't ask me how many orchids I had & don't have anymore...Hope I am not in "wrong" place to ask these questions, if so, pls. point me in right direction. Thank you all. Rina

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I don't know much about orchids, other than all the hardy terrestrials I've grown have done very well in the gritty mix. I can say I get emails all the time saying this or that orchid has taken very well to the gritty mix, but since I know so very little about the nature of the plants they're describing, I'll let those more expert than I guide you.

I will say too, that I would be concerned about putting any plant in equal parts of soil (topsoil?) and peat moss + perlite because of compaction and water retention issues.

Al

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

Al,
    thank you for your answer, I'll keep reading & learning; have to admit I did't even check if there is an orchid forum...anyway, have lots of other plants that need saving & will post on appropriate (hope so!) thread...Rina

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Welcome, Rina!

I'm no orchid expert, growing only a few, myself... I would like to become a lot more accomplished at growing some of the many types, though... they're so beautiful! Actually, I grow mostly Amaryllids, a couple of Hoyas, and an assortment of other plants. But I do so love orchids!

I do know that Ludisia orchids are terrestrial and require different medium and culture than your Phals do. I would not recommend the 511 for your Phals, although a lot will depend upon the environment you have to grow in.

I'm stuck with a very dry indoor environment, myself, and I grow most of my plants in an east facing window. Everything I read these days says that Phals are one of the easiest orchids to grow in the average home environment, but I have NOT found this to be true in my case! I've killed several, and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've read and researched, tried different mediums and methods, and they simply do not like what I have to offer them, apparently.

However, I find that Dendrobiums do much better for me, and seem to be doing very well in a slightly altered rendition of Al's Gritty Mix. In fact, I recently had a young plant develop nice buds... though they ended up shriveling up and dying before they had a chance to open.

I am determined to learn enough, and perhaps sacrifice enough orchids, to become successful at growing and blooming them. It is often said that a person can't be called a true orchidist until he or she has killed at least a hundred plants in the learning process... or something to that effect... and though I hope this is not true, I've lost many different types within the past several years. I'm still determined, and I'm not ready to give up just yet!

So far, two Dendrobiums, one Encyclia, and a Cymbidium backbulb are all surviving, and even thriving! They're all in a Gritty Mix with more bark than other ingredients, all minus the turface... and the Cymbidium has a tad bit of chopped up sphagnum moss pieces added, just to help retain a little more moisture around the newly grown roots.

My question to you, Rina, is what type of environment do you grow in, and what are the average conditions like? As in light, humidity, average temperature, the mediums your plants are in currently, your watering and feeding habits, and anything else you can think of... perhaps we can help!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello dear friends!

Well, I thought I would just share an orchid with you that took me by surprise!
    I found this one behind my Citrus tree when I was cleaning one day and the only thing that it was fertilized by was Foliage Pro.

I will say it is in a very barky, pumice and perlite mix which it seems to love too.

I can't wait to see yours flower for good Jodik! Oh the anticipation!

Thanks again Al, Josh, Jodi,Susan, Ron, Pen, and Rina:-)

Oh, the fragrance!

{{gwi:55738}}

{{gwi:55740}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

Hello and thank you Jodik for welcoming me. I have had few different orchids over the years & unfortunately not anymore; some given to me, some I bought. (Ashamed to say I "had" following:Dendrobium, Oncidium, Masdevallia & few Phals). I bought Ludisia abt.3yrs ago in garden centre & surprise-it is doing well. Was just 1 "stem" in 4"pot (paid Cd $9.99!) It grows well, have a hanging basket full which was hanging from the maple tree last season. Flowered last 2yrs a lot. (Have smaller hanging pot of another 9 that I rooted.)They are in potting soil...am sure they could do even better.I am surprised they take more sun than I expected from reading. I have Phals for almost 4yrs, and 3 are blooming for me 3rd time. Repotted year ago in same type of medium they were before(bought bark at the show). Conditions are not the best, probably quite dry.Have them now not too close to south-facing window, but there are many other plants "filtering" the strong sun, seems to work(same spot for abt.8mo).I know now I was definitely overwatering ones I lost, together with too dry-too humid(when I tried misting...)probably overfertilized too. Tried to fertilize according to books, but just read lots about fertilizing(thank you Al)& obviously there are better ways. I water on average every 5days (or as necessary), mostly with destilled water with maybe 1/3rd recomm.dose of fertilizer. Take pots to sink, water well&let drain. Why do you think that Al's mixes may not be better? I am willing to water more often...The flower spikes this time are not that big, one has 5buds, other 8buds & 3rd just comming out.I read that sometimes is good the let orchid rest between flovering-maybe they would have more buds/blooms if "rested"? I also love orchids-but than again, I have not "met" plant that I did not like!!!(have abt.58 in house right now...)-not trying to expand orchid collection(but tempted) until am sucessfull with keeping them alive. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rina, how did your orchids fare after a year and a half? Boy does time fly by!

Mike

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Mike

My orchids are still alive...all phals were blooming, one had really beautiful white, large flowers. I clipped off spent flower stems, so the plants 'rest' more... Ludisia is doing very well too, it has been outside whole summer.
    Soon have to start bringing plants inside, it's getting colder overnight. We had already few nights well below 50...
    Rina