Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting seeds in a gritty mix (Josh)

Posted by earthworm73 WA z8b (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 11:00

I am suppose to be getting some palms seeds that rumor has it are notoriously finicky about the germinating media. People have said they will rot if the media is keep to moist and/or too humid. I read on here that Josh from NorCal used a version of the Gritty to germ pepper seeds. I believe he used equal parts bark, course perlite, and turface. I was wondering if Josh or anyone else wants to comment on this mix for germinating seeds? Any tips for this mix.

Find more about Weather in Blaine, WA
Click for weather forecast

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting seeds in a gritty mix (Josh)

Hello! I am that Josh.

I've started pepper seeds in Gritty Mix since 2009, with never a failure (among seeds that sprouted).

I have started many different seeds in Gritty Mix, or in a mix porous enough to be called gritty :-)
These seeds include Peppers, Citrus, Calocedrus, Pine, Osage, Castor Bean, and recently Lily seeds.
The Gritty Mix is supreme for seed-starting, as long as you choose the appropriate volume (container size)
for the seeds you are germinating. For example, I believe it is better to use smaller volumes of mix so
that the mix will dry out in timely fashion. The trade-off is that you must keep the mix properly moist...
which may seem inconvenient to those with a "set it and forget it" seed-starting mentality.

I substitute ingredients regularly, but I want to emphasize to those just starting out that
the actual Gritty Mix is equal parts Pine/Fir bark, Turface, and Granite (or other non-porous stone).

I don't use equal parts bark, coarse perlite, and turface because these ingredients all hold moisture
and require slight modification to hit the moisture retention that is found in the Gritty Mix proper.
Occasionally, I will also add in Quartzite grit to reduce water holding capacity and increase structure.

There's more to discuss, but I'll await your thoughts and we can continue.

Josh

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 19:59

i have found that starting seeds in a "gritty" type mix leads to tough coarse roots which seems to help resist root damage when pricking out or transplanting. I have had a lot of success with tough to germinate seeds in sifted pumice.

o

Josh I am sorry to misquote you. I was referring to your post in the chile forum titled "Greenman's Pepper Pics 2011" dated 02/21/11. In it you said you used bark, perlite and turface. I must have assumed you used equal parts. How did you tell when the mix in those little cells needed water without disturbing the seeds?

o

No worries, Earthworm, I just wanted to be sure to explain that the ingredients I use are not
a direct substitution. Whenever I depart from the original recipe, some modification is required.

I keep the mix moist with a spray bottle, and I put plastic saran wrap over the top of the cells.
Every few days I just pull the plastic aside and give the surface a thorough spraying. As soon as I see
the first hint of a green sprout, I remove the plastic.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh. Today when I was out buying a car for the wife for Christmas I saw some palms across the street from the dealership and I took some seeds. I think I'll put that mix into action.

Find more about Weather in Blaine, WA
Click for weather forecast

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here