Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea root pruning

Posted by houzi 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 11:51

Hello all,can I root prune deciduous azaleas?,and when is the best time bearing in mind mine seem to set their buds very late in the year(perhaps too late sometimes)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea root pruning

houzi, in general, perennials store nutrients in the roots in preparation for winter; so you want the root system to be well formed and ready for this purpose in the fall (I should say 'autumn' out of deference to you).
The new flush of top growth occurs as the weather warms up in the spring. I would think that the time for root pruning is sometime between these two events; exactly where I am unable to say. Maybe this site will help.
http://www.rhodoniagara.org/feed.htm

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 14:36

Houzi - Rhodies are best repotted just before or just after bloom. If you repot before the bloom period, remove all flower buds to avoid putting too much strain on the plant.

Al

o

Oh thanks for the quick replies guys.I'll wait and see how many buds make it.If only a few I'll repot before bloom time,if looks like a good show I'll do it after.

o
RE:re Azalea root pruning

Oh and interesting link...highlighting alternating top&bottom growth...I've learnt yet another thing cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here