Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_355114

Anything You Wanna Talk About V - Prolly Mostly Off-Topic

I know I'm jumping the gun by starting a new thread when there are still a few posts remaining before the last one is filled, and feel free to keep the conversation going there, but I wanted to repost the message these threads started with back in '09 before Christmas came & went; that, because the stories are so Christmas related, and everyone seemed to enjoy them. Apologies for the redundancy to those who have already read the stories.

Feel free to comment on what I'm copy/pasting from the old thread, or take the conversation in any direction you want to go. It's winter, forums slow, and there's not a whole lot going on outdoors here, so I've been musing.
I am, like a fair number of people who take the time to ponder life, more than a little disenchanted with the commercialization of Christmas. I know - THAT was a 'duh' moment, huh? It's just that Christmas has become all about commitments to the gods of acquisition, instead of commitment to nurturing relationships with the most important in your life. It's become more about 'things', and making sure the right people get enough to keep them from thinking you're cheap. Sigh.

I'm sorry. I'm really here to tell you a story about two familial glimpses of the real Christmas spirit that made indelible impressions on my heart. They both occurred at our extended family gatherings, one about 8 years ago, the other about 3 years ago.

Gathered at our home were my three children and their families, my brother and 3 sisters and their families, and my mom. Prolly about 25 people. The grand-kids open their gifts first, and they open them one at a time so everyone can see what they are receiving and enjoy their excitement. After a couple of rounds of gift-opening, it was my oldest grandson's turn. Seven years old at the time, he was 3/4 of the way across the family room and sort of in the middle of the gathering. He had a long, fairly large package; I don't even remember what was in it, but he was standing and turned sideways to me, tearing the paper off as he held the package clenched between his knees. Suddenly he just stopped opening the gift. Still holding the wrapping paper in his hands, he squeezed it in his little hands and brought his fists to his chest in a display of excitement. Clutching the paper to his chest and slightly bent forward from the waist, you could easily see the little shudder that went through him as he turned his head toward me and said, "Grampa, my feelings are all filled up!"

I thought, "From the mouths of babes ....." and my eyes suddenly filled with tears as I realized a grandfather had been blessed with a glimpse directly into his grandson's heart. I'll never forget that moment (waxing nostalgic now, in fact) and as soon as I regained enough of my composure, I charged my daughter with the responsibility of never forgetting it either.

On the next occasion, the family gathering was at my brother's home. I had a sister who was sort of the black sheep of the family for a variety of reasons, and she normally didn't attend family gatherings. She and her husband had a special needs daughter, her stepdaughter, who has learning and emotional disorders that are noticeable, but not debilitating, and I can't help but feel in my heart that they were not patient enough with her. She was abused by a member of her father's family as a small child, and undoubtedly bears the scars of that, along with her other crosses. The family had very little income and they just managed to get by, so she was not used to things that aren't essential to daily living. She is the sweetest child, and you couldn't help but immediately want to wrap her in your arms and squeeze her tight.

Upon arriving at my brother's and realizing that my sister and family were there, we were heartsick that we hadn't come prepared with a gift for the daughter. Since we have a granddaughter slightly younger, my quick-thinking wife changed a name tag on one of many gifts that were intended for our granddaughter. A couple of others employed some similar strategy so she would have gifts to open.

As it worked out, our gift was the first she opened. It was something that most of us would consider a 'filler' gift - just 'something' the child could open ....... but not to little Skyler. The gift was nothing more than a small and inexpensive assortment of bath amenities that had been packaged for children - bubble bath and the like.

When she opened that first gift, emotions too many to count played across her face. It was like you handed her the most precious gift that anyone had ever seen. She clutched it to her chest in the same way my grandson had clutched the wrapping paper. She sniffed the fragrance coming from the package, looked at it again, and then hugged it, repeating that sequence over and over; then she offered it to everyone near for a sniff, so they could also appreciate the fragrance. She even asked her mom if she could take a bath .... now!

I looked at my wife, sitting at my side to see if she saw what I did. I was already teared up, but when I looked at her, she was crying, which moved me even more to know that I wasn't the only one that was affected by what we had just witnessed.

To behold such pure joy and excitement was, to me, another blessing I'll count among those I could never forget. As I sat there thinking about what I'd just seen, the realization that what seemed like an insignificant gift that had been destined to be just another of many given to a child who had been blessed with a mother and father able to provide her with every advantage, had somehow been transformed into something very, very special - something that brought Christmas to a precious child ...... isn't that a Christmas miracle?

Al

Comments (150)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks, Rina :-)
    I hope that snow melts for you soon!

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How did Moses make his tea? - "Hebrewed" it

Who was the greatest financier in the Bible? - Noah. He was floating his stock while everyone else was in liquidation.

Who was the greatest comedian in the Bible? - Samson.

Been busier than usual at night lately - the kids have been coming over to mooch dinner & watch hockey when it's on. Plus ..... we got a new pooch.

Meet Louie IV:

{{gwi:56003}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Saint Peter is sitting at the Pearly Gates when two guys wearing dark hoodies, and sagging pants, arrive. St. Peter looked out through the Gates and said, "Wait here. I’ll be right back."

St. Peter goes over to God's chambers and tells him who is waiting for entrance. God says to Peter: "How many times do I have to tell you? You can't be judgmental here. This is heaven. All are loved. All are
    brothers. Go back and let them in!"

St. Peter goes back to the Gates, looks around, and lets out a heavy sigh. He returns to God's chambers and says,"Well, they're gone."

“The guys wearing hoodies?" asked God.

"No. The Pearly Gates."

Al

11 years ago

Hahahahah!!!! Good one, Al :-)
    Congrats on the new pup, too!

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Al

Great looking pooch, how old is he?
    Congratulation!

Just had really good laugh...Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Al

Great looking pooch, how old is he?
    Congratulation!

Just had really good laugh...Rina

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Josh!

Whelped Dec 28, so he's 8 wks old. 1/2 poodle, 1/4 bichon, 1/4 shih tzu. It's called a Daisy Dog, though I had no idea what that was until this afternoon. ;-)

{{gwi:56004}}
    {{gwi:56003}}

Al

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Awwwwww, So Cute!

Hi Al.. What a cute little guy you have there..

Love the coloring on his ears and neck.. Reminds me of a creamy caramel latte, but even sweeter!

Enjoy "Louie". I'm sure he will have a wonderful home!

Congratulations!

Laura

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey Al! What a cutie.,Congratulations pal from Mom and I..

He looks so soft and cuddly!

Hello Laura, Josh, Rina, Jodik !!

Mike

11 years ago

Happy Saturday, friends! It was 75F yesterday and sunny...today it is 71F and faintly overcast. Feeling a bit muggy, even. Not bad for a barbecue with the family this afternoon, though ;-)

Here's a nice Daphne by the front deck. It smells so incredibly sweet, all the way out to the driveway. Love coming home and walking past this plant.

Josh

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

A man goes to the doctor for a check-up.
    "How ya' been feeling?" asks the doctor.
    "Not so great," complains the man.
    "Well, what seems to be the matter?" the doctor asks.
    "You see," replies the man, "Sometimes I feel like a wigwam, sometimes I feel like a tee-pee. It's driving me crazy!"
    "Ah," nods the doctor knowingly. "I see what your problem is. You're two tents."

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

How sweet and cute Al, The puppy has the eyes of a great garden frog protector and more.

Yes happy Saturday to you too Josh I cant wait to see the things growing in my yard, but did you have to mention BB-Q too ? Just kidding, thanks for reminding us snow hoarders...SPRING is in the air but not in our chilled outside bones.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone. Haven't been around much - I don't remember this puppy thing being so much work, but maybe my being almost 20 years younger when we were training the last one has something to do with how I assess work volumes, hmm? ;-) I'll try to be around more as I can, but I'll be starting into repots soon. Last year, we had nearly a week of temps in the 80s in early March, so I HAD to take a week off work to repot - everything was popping at once. This year, I have a couple of days before Easter weekend off & the day after, so I'll be able to go at it at a more leisurely pace - hopefully. Still have about 10" of snow here, but it will be gone by the weekend's end.

Take care. Thanks Laura. Rina, Mike, Josh, MrLike, and anyone I might have left out (sorry) - for the nice comments about the new addition. He was whelped 12/27, so I guess he'll be 10 weeks old tomo. I'll let him start dragging a leash around this weekend to get used to it, and probably start some short sessions working on basic commands as soon as he learns what "NO" means - he's almost there, but not quite, and needs a little longer attention span before I can do anything meaningful with him. Looking forward to it ....

Take care - good growing!

Al

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Finally found an old pic of an impressive exposed root system, mosses, ferns and more all growing on a single rock.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

mrlike
    that's beautiful - root over rock mega-bonsai...

I need this sign in my kitchen:

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Aww ohhh a signage trap.... It's easy to follow both rules... take the food and leave the mess.

11 years ago

Hi Wes!

Just wanted to say that I loved that pic of the root over rock..
    Truly inspiring like you mentioned! Did you take that pic locally up in your area? That is certainly a rare sight to see. Thank you for sending me over to see this beauty!

Truly gorgeous ...

Thank you !

Hello everyone! Hope you all are having a wonderful day!

Take care,

Laura

11 years ago

Greetings, Laura, Wes, Al, Rina, Mike, Jodi, and all!
    Sunny day here, and the weather climbing into the 60F's!

11 years ago

Hi Josh!

Looks beautiful there!

I'm hoping for warmer temps soon...

Ready for spring here in VB!

Hi Al, Mike, Jodi!

Laura

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Hi Josh
    Green grass! Daffodils!
    Still little snow around, but raining lately & it's dissapearing...Spring is around the corner.

mrLike
    You are so right, I never noticed (shoudn't post anything after midnight).
    Sure my kids would!!!

A woman was trying hard to get the ketchup out of the
    jar. During her struggle the phone rang so she asked her 4-year old daughter to answer the phone. 'Mommy can't come to the phone to talk to you right now. She's hitting the bottle.'

A little boy got lost at the YMCA and found himself in the women's locker room. When he was spotted, the room burst into shrieks, with ladies grabbing towels and running for cover. Little boy watched in amazement and then asked, 'What's the matter, haven't you ever seen a little boy before?'

A little girl was watching her parents dress for a party. When she saw her dad donning his tuxedo, she warned, 'Daddy, you shouldn't wear that suit.' 'And why not, darling?' 'You know that it always gives you a headache the next morning.'

A little girl had just finished her first week of school.
    'I'm just wasting my time,' she said to her mother. 'I can't read, I can't write, and they won't let me talk!'

A little boy opened the big family Bible. He was fascinated as he fingered through the old pages. Suddenly, something fell out of the Bible. He picked up the object and looked at it. What he saw was an old leaf that had been pressed in between the pages.
    'Mama, look what I found,' the boy called out. 'What have you got there, dear?' With astonishment in the young boy's voice, he answered, 'I think it's Adam's underwear!'

• MDutton
    11 years ago

It's unseasonably warm today (70 and sunny!), so I've been out arranging the planters on our balcony... DH is only worried about where the BBQ grill is going. ;)
    {{gwi:56005}}

I was also photobombed by a certain little cutie who is glad to be able to sunbathe outside again!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol - I've been getting the new pup acclimated to a lead and going outside in the cold on his own .... making some progress. He's getting much larger - prolly doubled his weight in the last 3 weeks.

After getting all of the Pope's luggage loaded into the limo, (and he doesn't travel light), the driver notices the Pope is still standing on the curb.

"Excuse me, Your Holiness," says the driver, "Would you please take your seat so we can leave?"

"Well, to tell you the truth," says the Pope, "they never let me drive at the Vatican, and I'd really like to drive today."

"I'm sorry, Your Holiness, but I cannot let you do that. I'd lose my job! What if something should happen?" protests the driver, wishing he'd never gone to work that morning.

"Who's going to tell?" says the Pope with a smile.

Reluctantly, the driver gets in the back as the Pope climbs in behind the wheel. The driver quickly regrets his decision when, after exiting the airport, the Pontiff floors it, accelerating the limo to 205 kms. (Remember, the Pope is German.)

"Please slow down, Your Holiness," pleads the worried driver, but the Pope keeps the pedal to the metal until they hear sirens.

"Oh, dear God, I'm going to lose my license -- and my job!" moans the driver.

The Pope pulls over and rolls down the window as the cop approaches, but the cop takes one look at him, goes back to his motorcycle, and gets on the radio.

"I need to talk to the Chief," he says to the dispatcher.

The Chief gets on the radio and the cop tells him that he's stopped a limo going 205 kph.

"So bust him," says the Chief..

"I don't think we want to do that, he's really important," said the cop.

The Chief exclaimed, "All the more reason!"

"No, I mean really important," said the cop with a bit of persistence.

The Chief then asked, "Who do you have there, the mayor?"

Cop: "Bigger."

Chief: "A senator?"

Chief: "The Prime Minister?"

"Well," said the Chief, "who is it?"

Cop: "I think it's God!"

The Chief is even more puzzled and curious, "What makes you think it's God?"

Cop: "His chauffeur is the Pope!"

Hava good weekend, everyone!

Al

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

No Laura that's my old neighborhood where I grew up as a child and high school days. Always thought it was kind of boring as a teen having things like moose in black bear country and those sort of things to entertain..

With age and a trip or two around the blue marble comes wisdom . The other pic is in my neighborhood to entertain us now, we have fancy cable modems fewer black bears and no moose as of lately.

Thought it would be nice to share a bit of the Boston Flower Show I went to on Friday with a neat display plant(s) for you and Al.

This post was edited by mrlike2u on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 23:29

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

A cowboy from Calgary

> A cowboy from Calgary appeared before St. Peter at the Pearly Gates.
    > 'Have you ever done anything of particular merit?'
    > asked St. Peter.
    > 'Well, I can think of one thing,' the cowboy offered.
    > 'On a trip to Kananskis, I came upon a gang of bikers who were threatening a young woman. I directed them to leave her alone, but they wouldn't listen.
    > So, I approached the largest and most tattooed biker and smacked him in the face, kicked his bike over, ripped out his nose ring, and threw it on the ground. I yelled, 'Now, back off or I'll kick the s*** out of all of you!
    > St. Peter was impressed, 'When did this happen?'
    > 'Couple of minutes ago.'

11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!!

Wes,

Love the pics from the flower show!!! Thanks for posting for us!!!

That pic looks like it is displaying in different stages.. How interesting. Love it!!

Those other pics that you took as a young man are treasures from the past. Funny how we think of things not being interesting until we remember how much fun we had and how hard it is to duplicate those same places. I would give anything to climb in the Oak Trees that were wind blown just like a "windswept" tree. I loved them then and now i wish i would have spent more time in the trees just looking.. I grew up on the beach and now i would give anything to have those dunes and all that we had back then...No bears or Moose,, but we did have huge Loggerhead turtles and many other interesting critters...

I have been around the "marble" a few times too, we always learn and then appreciate what we have in our own backyards...

Thanks for the pics.. i loved the one of "the man cave" I still think it was Mike working his way to gain an early spot in line for Logees.. LOLOL..

Sounds like you all had a good time. No purchases? How about from the show in Boston?

Thanks for the pics...

Rina and AL.. still chuckling!!!!

Take care,

Laura

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Flower show Boston: I like the displays set up by contractors I think most flower garden shows are aimed toward display for inspiration and ideas for home owners for the outside gardens and some displays as shadow box windows where grouped by various hobby grower.

I purchased a parking license one box of fudge and a framed dried flower printing with my wife's name and it's meaning.

They did have a lot of vendors some where not really garden related but still connected in a way. I was hoping to find certain fragrant oriental lilies none at the vendors booth where the particular ones I was seeking Also I was seeking miniature geraniums the search kind of continues as I know where to find them just hadn't made the connect yet .
    Logees and the trip of three I purchased no items but was given a Pittosorum tobira it's a variegated fake citrus bush that doesn't habit growing a twisted trunk. As a challenge I plan to grow it with one. The plant best behave or it's going back to the giver who was last seen by a GW member exiting a man cave.

Purchases: Technically I don't purchase plants, I acquire them by what ever means are necessary
    Currently acquired plants for 2013 include: two orchids, one jasmine, one flowering but still fake maple, one cotyledon. I'm certain there are a couple more that don't come to mind right now.
    I Agree all one has to do is spend a few days walking around in Tunisia to understand the comforts of home only to view next is some highlands and rocky hillside terrains in Greece.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

{{gwi:56006}}
    Am able to upload from both PB and the PC
    Still in need of trimming and some minor touchings

This post was edited by mrlike2u on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 21:52

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Checking in... up north visiting the kids and grandkids for a few days. It's cold here, with snow on the ground yet.

At our house, a few hours south, there's no snow on the ground, but it's on and off cold, then mild... and the Daffodil leaves are beginning to shoot up!

Love the pictures, everyone!

Take care... got the whole family here, so... cutting this short.

Mike, I think I missed a call from you, but I can't retrieve the message... this stupid phone, I hate it! We'll talk soon!

Hugs for everyone! Extras for Mom! :-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well ...... Monday is tax day. There's a box on one of the forms that says "Check here if you are blind". I knew it was a trap, so I put a check 3" away and took the deduction.

Al

Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone else have a Google Tool Bar? Is your spell check acting up? For several days, mine wouldn't work at all - got some kind of error message. Now, it works but won't stay pinned to the tool bar. I NEED it - have to try way too hard to keep from embarrassing myself with my sloppy typing when the spell ck won't work.

Al

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

I dug though five pages of info to find this such a history it has
    What comes as a slight surprise to me is how you are willing to respond to others and offer your help as quickly as you can but if you ask the question I ponder why does it remain answer less all this time. As to say why did it take so long for even one person to say Al cant help you but am hopeful that you find a solution to your problem.

No not the first time I saw this question either but did bring thoughts about the black sheep you mentioned a while ago on this thread.
    Speaking of black sheep they already know how to be not always quickly accepted. Another thing about them is all they want is for someone else to be happy too. As you sure do try real hard to help other people be happy in the way you do.

I dont know if this will help your browser problem but I think you ( and others as well ) get the hint. If not call visit or text a black sheep soon and ask them how they're doing and share a slight problem you may of had or still have.

• bitzppa
    10 years ago

what a great thread :) well worth a read and look, just wanted to add a Cooktown orchard from Australia.

{{gwi:56007}}

10 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!

Well said, Wes...

I am sorry to say that I missed Al's question. I wish I had an answer for you Al... My computer was acting up awhile back and I'm still having issues with it now. Did you figure out what the problem was? Hope it is fixed.. I have to be careful with this spell check on my cell, lol! It will put in words when I'm not watching. Lmao!!!

THANK YOU, AL!!!
    You are the one who helps everyone!! ;-)

Happy belated Birthday.... I hope you had a wonderful day!!!

Great pics Wes ... Great catch on this missed post.. ;-)

I hope everyone is having a great spring!!!

Bitz.. Beautiful pic !! Love the color!!!

Take Care,

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wes - it was no big deal. I only asked on the off chance someone might have had the same issue (and fixed it), or that someone might have had an idea. It appears I fixed it by uninstalling the Google tool bar and reinstalling it (about 5 minutes ago). It seems to be staying pinned to the tool bar now, so I guess it's ok. I NEED that spell check!

Pretty picture, Bitz. Thanks for sharing. Spring is in full swing here. Forsythia & all our fruit trees are in bloom. Trees just putting on their spring flush of leaves. Everything looks soo fresh & clean! Garden coming alive.

Thank you for the B-day wish, Laura. How'd you remember? You must have a good mind or you made a note! I appreciate everyone's kind words. I DO like helping people get more from their growing experience. For me, there are a lot of blessings in that thought. First that I CAN help. Second, that I DO so enjoy helping growers - that whole nurturing people who nurture plants thing. And third, that you guys gather here to share your needs and suggestions with others. It all works out rather nicely.

I haven't been around the forums as much as usual. My email has been really busy with people asking questions directly, many of which I couldn't reply to because their user page settings don't allow a direct reply, and there is no email addy included in the questions. It's also the busiest time of the year for me - yard & gardens just waking, and more than 100 temperate bonsai trees (that's just the temperate - not the tropicals, too) needing repotting and/or pruning.

Today it's chilly (44*) and raining hard, so I'm kind of loafing. The power went off in the middle of the night, and my generator is in the back of the garage with about 100 clay pots stacked on top of it, so I figured it was easier to bail the sump hole for the footing drains & pour it down the laundry tub drain than to try to get the generator fired up. The power came back on around 7:30, so I was still able to get to work on time. I'm a little sleepy, but it's do or die for the Red Wings tonight starting at 8, and I'm sure the kids will be over to watch the game, so I'm sure I won't get to bed much before 11:30. I'm supposed to go to the Michigan All-State Bonsai Show across the state tomo, but I haven't heard anything from the guy I'm supposed to go with ..... so who knows if I'll make it.

Take good care, you guys! Thanks again!

(spell ck still pinned to the tool bar - yay!)

Al

10 years ago

Howdy!
    Well, shoot, I feel remiss for missing Al's birthday! So happy belated, Sir ;-) Laura, thanks for the reminder...and, Wes, thank you for hauling this Thread back to the surface.

We've had some hot weather already - in the 90F's - punctuated, thankfully, by two rainstorms that we really needed (saved me the trouble of watering the outdoor plants, although the rain somewhat overwatered my Jades). I'm mowing the lawn twice a week now, and I expect that to continue for the month.

Here's a pic from beneath my birch trees...

Josh

• bitzppa
    10 years ago

are spring that's the best time of the year for us everything comes alive, hope everyone is having fun out in the yard and working hard , I am jealous but my turn will come only 3 an 1/2 months away :)

thanks Laura, Al, Josh and everyone who lets me travel the world without leaving home , its fun watching whats going on on the other side of the world, it sure is becoming a small world.

happy gardening today :)

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Al's B day too ? Good to see the computer is up and running I was leaning toward RAM but reload can also work

Earth grown blooming evens in this area are Dogwoods,Lilacs, Azaleas the tulips have been in bloom for a while Iris showing buds that hadn't broken yet.

Container grown Everything that survived the winter and most things I didn't want to survive the winter all showing seasonal signs of good growth.

Happy B-lated Al my joke B day card would of read as follows:
    The idea to not wanting to be reminded your getting older is to not tell Laura your B day if asked.. Age is nothing more than a number, to be reminded that your also wiser is

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, guys. Had an unexpected freeze last night. There was a heavy frost on the roofs, but it looks like none of my trees got hit. Tonight's different - a freeze warning & 27* for the low. Just got done moving over 130 trees under cover. It LOOKS like this will be the last freeze, and our 'last frost' date is 5/15, but in MI, you never really know. My brother/father/I were fishing on the 4th of July weekend way back when, and it actually snowed for a few minutes. Nutts.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's. I hope you all have a great day! Kids will be here soon for pizza. They wanted to take us out, but my better half said she'd rather just visit at home, and that suits us just fine.

Al

• jodik_gw
    10 years ago

It seems I, too, missed Al's Birthday... so a Happy Belated, to you, Al!

And Happy Mother's Day to all the people out there who work and love and teach in this capacity... including those Dads who go it alone, those Moms who raise children by themselves, Step parents, LGBT parents, Grandparents, and anyone else who loves a child like a Mom does!

I found out a long time ago that it's true... almost anyone can be a mother... but it takes a special person to be a Mom! I'm a Step Mom, and my children were created IN my heart, not under it. As an adopted child, I heard that a lot from my own Mom.

So, here's to a day of days for Mom's everywhere! :-)

This is a tiny little red/orange Tulip that comes up every year in miniature. It never seems to get much bigger than you see, my hand for comparison... and I have small hands. I wear kid's gardening gloves!

{{gwi:56010}}

Happy Gardening, Everyone!

• bitzppa
    10 years ago

thanks jodik for sharing the message and the photo :)

BZ

• jodik_gw
    10 years ago

My pleasure! :-)

This was late March, looking out my window...

{{gwi:56012}}

And these were taken in April...

{{gwi:56013}}

{{gwi:56015}}

What a difference a few weeks makes! Here in Illinois, they say "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute!"

And it seems to be close to the truth!

A shout out to Laura, Al, Josh, Mike, Rosie, and the usual group... and to all gardeners everywhere!

Happy Gardening!

10 years ago

Hi Jodi!!!

Beautiful pictures, as always!!! Looks like spring is in the air in Illinois.. We have been waiting here in Virginia for sooo long. ;-) These temps can change overnight. Tonight , they are calling for mid 40's here. All of my trees are out for the summer and i am not carrying them back inside.. NO WAY!!! lol...

Thank you for the Mother's Day Greeting!!!

I hope you had a wonderful day as well.. It doesn't matter where the kids are born and from whom.. as long as they know you' re "mom" and love them as such.. that is all that matters.. Love can be such a strong emotion and can come from all types of "Mothers.." even fathers who care for them without the "mother figure.." in their lives.. I know you are a wonderful mom and they are so fortunate to have you!!!

Hi Bz.. Glad to have you here to share!!! :-)

Hi Josh, Mike..

Thank You Al for the Happy Mother's day card on the thread.. I hope you and your DW had a great day!!!!
    I did remember your Birthday.. :-) Wes, is now worried tho.. LOL.. :-) I do have a good memory!!! Hope you had a wonderful day!!!

Wes.. You' re so funny!!! Better watch out.. i can see when your Birthday is too!!!! Maybe next year, i will catch you on that date!!! Hope you are doing well up north!! ;-)

Take care,

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the wishes, Jodi. I've seen this before, but a friend sent it again and again it brought tears to my eyes. All those flash mob things do. For some reason they really move me. If you copy/paste it to your browser & have a look at it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=GBaHPND2QJg&feature=youtu.be

Al

• jodik_gw
    10 years ago

Thank you, Laura... such wonderful sentiments! :-)

Our weather has been crazy, too... but we half expected it. Last year, we were already laying out soaker hoses and starting to water...and this year, we've gotten so much rain that we're completely saturated! We're just now able to get in and cut grass, and talk about tall! It's hard on the mowers, I'm sure, but what can you do?!

If it's grass, it has to be kept mowed at least semi-regularly... and if it's garden beds, they must be kept weeded or the grasses, thistles and other nasties take over! So, we're darned if we do and darned if we don't!

Mother's Day was nice... calls from my kids, and the husband made a nice dinner... while I spent the day relaxing, for the most part. There are certain chores that must be done regardless of what day it is, like cleaning and feeding dogs and other animals, but that's no big deal... I have it down to a science! ;-)

I finally got the old guy to help me get photos off my camera, so I thought I'd share a few this morning...

Here's a mama and her twins...
    {{gwi:56017}}

My very best mouser... I call her Vixen!
    {{gwi:56019}}

The next generation of excellent mousers... one of Vixen's 3 little ones...
    {{gwi:56020}}

Walking from the shade garden area toward the new rose arbor...
    {{gwi:56021}}

A young Peony Tree in the dappled shade garden... notice the rambler rose runners everywhere on the ground!
    {{gwi:56022}}

Closeup of the flower from the Peony Tree...
    {{gwi:56024}}

Another Peony Tree in the front yard... north side...
    {{gwi:56025}}

And this is a Trillium that opened white and is turning a pale pink shade. It's among a patch of purple flowered hybrid Trillium I planted several years ago... you can see the mottled leaves of the hybrid... I didn't plant the white one, though...
    {{gwi:56026}}

And finally, the first of the Irises are starting!
    {{gwi:56027}}

I hope you enjoyed a walk around the yards with me... stick around as all the roses begin blooming and other perennials begin to color the gardens a wonderful rainbow of scented color!

Thanks, Al... I can finally view Youtube, but the monitor I'm using has no sound on board... for a girl with a technological genius as a husband, I'm always the last to get upgraded! Would you believe I'm still using Windows XP?! I desperately need an upgrade to Windows 7, which should be coming shortly... when he has time to upgrade me. :-)

It's kind of like being the plumber with the leaky toilet handle that sticks, or the barber that doesn't have time to cut his own hair... when you're in the business, you're last in line! :-)

It looks to be another gorgeous day... sunny and hot with strong humidity... I may spend some time weeding and edging today, instead of killing myself cutting grass!

Hope everyone has a lovely day! And... Happy Gardening!

10 years ago

Hello! Jodi, I really enjoyed the tour! Some great captures. Your cats are wonderful, too :-D This is my brother's half-Siamese half-Manx cat, Rokku....she just gave birth!

• bitzppa
    10 years ago

thanks Laura and to everyone for sharing the photos and videos :)

blowing a gale and cold here tonight , but not as cold as snow on the ground,

these are my average lows

Average low (°F) °C
    Jan (64.2) 17.9
    Feb (64.8) 18.2
    Mar (62.1) 16.7
    April (57.6) 14.2
    May (53.2) 11.8
    Jun (48.9) 9.4
    Jul (46.9) 8.3
    Aug (47.8) 8.8
    Sep (51.1) 10.6
    Oct (54.7) 12.6
    Nov (57.9) 14.4
    Dec (61.7) 16.5

record low (33.4) 0.8

record high (111.4) 44.1 that was this last summer

just felt like sharing that and to see it myself .

glad everyone has new flowers and veggies coming :)

BZ

This post was edited by bitzppa on Thu, May 16, 13 at 10:00

• jodik_gw
    10 years ago

A very pretty cat, Josh, and quite a family! How many babies are there?

Vixen just has three kittens... the little orange one, a black and white, and a light gray tortie rather like herself. They're so cute, and fun to watch as they grow and learn! Surprisingly, that little orange one has already caught his own mouse! It was a little mouse, but still... I was impressed!

Today, if it doesn't rain, I'll be back to finishing up the grass cutting, then off to weed more beds.

Happy Gardening, Everyone!

10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Just wanted to say hello and that i hope you all are enjoying the weeekend...

Hi Josh!! Love the new litter!! Mom sure looks proud!! ;-)

Jodi... Love all the cute pics of your little ones.. so cute!!

I need a cat around my house.. Just to help keep the mice and moles in check!!!

BZ.. I would love those average lows.. Thanks for posting the numbers.. very interesting!!!

Hope you are taking care of those trees with the winds you are having!!

Have a great day!!

Laura

10 years ago

Good morning, Jodi, Laura, BZ, and everyone else stopping by!

It's been a big weekend. I helped friends move apartments all day yesterday, up stairs and down, downstairs and up. What a workout. So, at 7:00 I then had my sister's 30th birthday to attend, despite my fatigued state. We were up carousing until 2:30 this morning.

Jodi, Rokku has three kittens as well, two females and a male.

Well, this Thread is just about maxed out, so we'll have to start another for our casual gardening, family, and animal updates can continue.

Josh

Original Author
    10 years ago

I found out that you can keep a thread going well past the allotted 150 posts if you keep the thread open on your browser. Lol - keep that in mind if for some reason you ever are wont to have the last word on a particular thread.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: The thread continued