Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themastergardener1

Pine Nuggets

TheMasterGardener1
12 years ago

Hello everyone. I have been sifting pine fines and keeping the 1/2-2 inch nuggets. Can those nuggets mixed with a little peat be sutable for large containers like 20 gal and above. I did a sample mix in the 20 gal and it is very light and wont compact, draining very fast but still holds water. I want to use these as I do pay 4 bucks a 2Cu ft bag of pine mulch then after sifted I end up with 1 cu ft of fines so total cost is 4 bucks a cu ft for pine fines making it the most expensive, time consuming medium I use (although most effective). That is why if I could use those nuggets it would make it 2buks for a Cu Ft which is in the area I would like. I am still looking for pre-sifted pines.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I know larger trees are grown in such medium but will it work for tomatoes? Will this medium need ph balancing? Will this medium need hydrponic nutrients with no urea N? Even if there is a good amount of peat (5-10%). Another note: I thought this mix would not work because the peat would fall through the holes to the bottom leaving me with bark on top and peat at the bottom. After watering this pot with the medium I found this is NOT happening (yet?) as the peat is staying around the bark still.

Comments (13)

• mrlike2u
    12 years ago

Have fun

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol is that a yes?

;)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

No ;-)

MG, small particles lodge between larger particles and impede drainage,
    making for a mix that has the overall drainage characteristics of the *small* particles.
    That's not what you want.

You are correct that the fine particulate (peat) will migrate downward, clogging the mix
    along the way and ultimately raising the perched water layer (and further reducing the viable
    area in which plant roots will survive).

Also, the large particles take up room into which roots could have grown,
    which greatly reduces the available root-room in a container.

In short, use the big bark for garden and flowerbed mulch.

Josh

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks.

It seemed like it could work :(

I was thinking of using long fiber peat moss but it might not work either. I will just use it as a mulch around my peppers :)

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

Well if you think it will work ,then go for it .
    after all you re a mastergardener and an innovator

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol, its just a name I choose ; )

I dont think I will try it.

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

You need to go back and read or re read al's article on water rention ,because as of now you still dont get it,
    it goes against many things you may have first ben taught but explains why and how .I had to read a couple of times to get it entirely

Here is a link that might be useful: water retention

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"because as of now you still dont get it"

I said this:

"Lol, its just a name I choose ; )

"I dont think I will try it. "

Then dickiefickle said:

"because as of now you still dont get it"

If you read back you can see I "got it" when greenman28 nicely resonded with the answer.

If I said I will not try it how dont I "get it"?

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

I get it!

I know you got it:-=)

MasterGardener1, your screen name alone can defintley throw one of kilter, since it denotes one that is suppose to know everything and not ask questions..lol.
    Now something like'wannabea1gardener, 'want2bamastergardener or masterlearner1, would fit the bill. :-)

Josh, as always, great work. You certainly make it easier for us to not have to explain the benefits of what you suggest, since I am always on the same page as you. Superb!

Mike

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awww,thats too bad.

;)

Just to let you know I can ask what ever I want on here. I am sure a lot read these and learn from my questions. I am not the only one learning from these answers.

Thanks.

So you are saying I cant have this name, you are saying I cant ask questions? Hey, what else?

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Lol...

You know I am kidding with you...I don't think anything of it, but then of course there is always the minute that might..Make no negative about that, since I am a fun type of person here whom thinks you are pretty nice to have around.

Thanks for having fun. I sure needed that.

Live well and prosper!

Mike:-)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hey, thanks, Mike!

MG, Mike was just saying that folks are thrown off kilter by the name, that's all.
    He was making an observation and a constructive suggestion. You don't have to change your name.
    And of course you can ask questions!

Josh

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes I know, guys ;)

"Thanks for having fun. I sure needed that."

I know, well said!!
    I make it too easy.. :)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews