Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ykerzner

CNS 17 for fertilizer

ykerzner
13 years ago

Keeping in mind the 3-1-2 ratio, would this product work as a substitute for Foliage Pro? It has a ratio of 3-1-2, so would I need to apply it at three times the rate of FP to get the same results?

Comments (9)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

I remember commenting about the cns17 back in Oct on a thread posted by 'epicseedman'. Here's what I said. Keep in mind the question he asked might have been subtly different from yours, but the answer is probably in what I said:

"FWIW - I went to look at the CNS product line.

All coir and CHC products are VERY high in K, so it would seem that if the CNS17 product was really developing a product specifically for use with those products, they would have lightened up on or eliminated the K content. As I reviewed the label, I honestly didn't see anything at all that would set this product apart as being any better than other 3:1:2 ratio products when using coir or CHCs. It does lack many of the minors, and you need to use 3X as much of the 3-1-2 as 9-3-6 - 8X as much 3-1-2 as 24-8-16 to get the same bang. I actually think MG 24-8-16 or 12-4-8 would be better choices."

Of course, I think that FP 9-3-6 would be a still better choice.

Al

• ykerzner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I plan to use CNS17 only during the winter when temperatures are below 70 F, and also because it seems no stores in the area carry FP 9-3-6. Micronutrients are supplied by a different fertilizer. Is it worth paying up to 50 dollars for one gallon of FP by buying it online?

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

For me, it would be worth the price to pay for peace of mind and very healthy plants..

I paid 56 dollars for mine and drove 35 miles to get it.:-)

Mike

• ykerzner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For one gallon, I presume? How long did it last?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I have an 8-ounce bottle of Foliage Pro that I received last Christmas, and I haven't finished it.
    I'm going for the 32-ounce bottle next, which costs $20 at a local specialty nursery.

Josh

• ykerzner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh: Do you use Al's recommendation of one tspn/gallon when watering?

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Yes 56 dollars before tax a gallon...If I did not share it, it would last me for months and months if not over a year or longer..

I use 1/2 tsp/gallon all summer and 1/4 tsp/gallon all winter..

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, Mike! ;)

Ykerzner, I do use a tspn per gallon on the "hungry" plants....citrus, maples, osages, conifers....
    Al has helped me quite a bit. One of my main foibles has been under-feeding plants in these bark and
    grit-based mixes. I'm learning, though ;)

Some plants I fertilize more often, like Mike, and so I use about a half tspn.

I'm using a quarter tspn on my indoor peppers this time of year for maintenance.

I give my outdoor trees a splash from time to time, but the rain keeps them flushed.

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

While plants are growing well, I use a tablespoon (9-3-6)overflowed by about a teaspoon, so about 4 teaspoons in 2-1/2 gallons of water, weekly. Of course, you'd have to reduce the amount for plants in heavy soils. In winter, under lights, I fertilize at every watering with a fertigation solution of 12 drops of FP/gallon of water, which is a little on the light side, but should be about right for plants in fast soils but not under lights.

Al