Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade container plants for nothern California?

Posted by anchita DFW, TX USDA 7b/8a (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 14:52

We have recently moved to Bay area (north San Jose) and are in a rental apartment with only a patio available for gardening. It gets only morning sun, between 9 and 12 and then bright shade. I was wondering about suggestions for some container plants in such a location? Flowering ones would be great, but I do like plants for their interesting foliage and form too. I want to get one dwarf conifer that we intend to use as a small, living Christmas tree. I've never grown a conifer before, much less in a container, so any pointers or guidance in that directions would be very welcome. I've asked in the California forum (and conifer forum about the conifer) too, but figured I'd ask here as well, for information specific to container gardening. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade container plants for nothern California?

I live in SF and have a mostly shade garden. My favorites for containers are fuscias, abutilons (flowering maples) and Japanese maples. Some of the varieties in each handle shade better than others.

Other good ones are impatients, begonias, ferns, hostas and hellebore. Good luck and have fun! Lots of good stuff can grow in a shade garden :)

o
RE: Shade container plants for nothern California?

I have a patio in SF that gets roasting hot sun about 4-5 hours a day in summer, and shade the rest of the time. The best container plants for me that grow especially well in part shade are:

Aloes
Aeoniums
Brugmansias
Abutilons
Echeverias
Sempervivums
Plectranthus argentus
Helichrysum petiolare
Agave attenuata
Bacopa "Gold 'n Pearls"
Colocasia fontanesii
Cyperus involucratus
Cyperus papyrus

I have the water-loving ones on a drip of course - they'd fry in a day otherwise!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here