Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A balcony/light problem over the horizon

Posted by jbest123 Zone 5 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 15:34

I forgot about the wife's tropical plants. She will need Northern exposure and I will need Southern exposure. So far the only solution I can think of is that she gets an apartment across the hall from me. I don't think she will go for that and I know she won't throw them out. Maybe she can through a few out and keep the rest buy the glass door. In the photo below the space the plants occupy is 10' deep and 6' wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: John's Journal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A balcony/light problem over the horizon

Or... perhaps you could share space and simply use some kind of shade curtain?

Another solution, if we're talking space, might be to take cuttings, prune a bit, or divide, and give some of the pieces away to friends.

o

• Posted by edh87 7a - Durham, NC (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 18:30

If you have some tall-ish veggies, could you put them in front of your wife's plants as a form of natural shade? Or put them on the balcony closest to the house, where less light is likely to reach as compared to the outer edge of the balcony.

o
A problem over the horizon

jodik/edh87 Thanks suggestions filed. I think I should find out what size balconys are around here and do they permit container gardening.

Here is a link that might be useful: John's Journal

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 11:20

corner unit?

o

A ground floor unit or "garden apartment" would expand space... you'd have a patio, plus a little area surrounding it.

o

jbest123, you could string lamps (say 4) of varying intensities across the space and time them (say 4 hours) to come on in sequence to simulate sunrise to sunset.
Who knows? You might add a whole new dimension to "grow lighting".
OK! OK! I know that you did not ask for suggestions.
You will not hurt my feelings if you ignored this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here