Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In need of inspiration

Posted by redecoratingmom none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 17, 11 at 16:03

After much debate I've decided it would best for me to have a container garden in my front yard as opposed to trying to plant something in-ground under a pine tree in the front. So now I'm trying to envision what that would look like. I'm thinking of putting potted azaleas under the pine tree as well as containers of daffodils but I dunno. I really need to see some pics of the beautiful creations that you guys have come up with for your front yard or even areas where you've planted around trees or really anything you are willing to share. Please take pity on me and my lack of creativity in this area...pretty please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In need of inspiration

I like to offer suggestions where I can, but when I have no idea what the climate is like, where the poster gardens, I hesitate. Can you add your zone to your name to avoid this problem. Al

o

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

If your climate is like mine, then you can plant Spanish lavender, rosemary, toyon, sages, et cetera,
beneath your pine. I also use large rocks that are covered in lichen to help set the stage.

Josh

o

So sorry guys I usually add that to my posts but forgot this time. But,yeah, I live in beautiful Augusta,GA zone 8 (some say 8a) home of the Masters, legendary azaleas, scorching summers and mild winters. As a matter of fact yesterday was 75 degrees so I guess that means we are going to have a sunny green Christmas :) Sorry for the lack of info. Now I'm off to make that adjustment in my profile so I don't have to remember to add it each time. I'll do better guys.

o

Josh, we seem to have similar climates. I like the idea of the lichen covered rocks, never considered that.

o

Hello!

Yes, I collect rock specimens throughout the year, always looking for shapely (large) rocks
that have good colonies of moss or lichen. For sunny and dry areas, I use lichen - for shady
and moist area, I use moss.

Anyhow, I like to build up the planting area so that the rocks have a slightly higher profile.
In my back yard, I have a Stone Pine with a lot of stuff planted beneath it - Daffodils, Rosemary,
Yarrow, a couple types of Sage, and generous mounds of Spanish Lavendar. I'm sure that an Agave
would also look striking if it were planted at the proper distance (not too close, not too far).

You can't really see the rocks in this pic...but there are a few ;-)

Photobucket

Josh

o

Thanks for the pics! I think I'm falling for the sage and lavender. Anyone else have some plantings, container or otherwise?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here