Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
issol

Tropicals...

issol
17 years ago

I am about to close on my new house...Yay!!...and I have a huge sun room that will double as my studio retreat. It's not very economical to try to cool off a room with a large kiln so I wanted to have a tropical theme to all of my plants. Everything will be in containers and I only want one plant per pot. I like clean and simple, so invasive plants may or may not work, depending on how controlable they are. Also, I have lots of pets and a kid so anything poisonus will only be okay if it is a hanging plant. I want a mixture of all kinds (fruits, floral, green, VINES!) so that when one walks in, they feel like they just entered the rain forest. Anybody have any recomendations or advice for this kind of theme??? Please, all responses are greatly appreciated........Oh, and I'm not sure how the humidity level is. I do know the room leaks in heavy rain fall.

Comments (7)

• watergal
    17 years ago

How much heat does a kiln produce? What is the upper end of the temperatures you will have in the room? How will it be heated in the winter and at night when the kiln isn't going, and is it open to the house so that it can draw some heat from there? If it leaks during a heavy rain, it's going to leak out heat when it's cold. You can add a room humidifier if you really need one.

Once you know your climate extremes, I'll be happy to suggest some appropriate plants. Sounds like a great room to have - I'm jealous!

• issol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, during the winter I'll be able to keep it at around 75-80 but during the summer I'll hardly turn on the air conditioning, just fans, so it will get up to 95 on our hottest days without a kiln. At night is when I'll be running the kiln most of the time anyways. There is a door to the inside of the house, but the inside of the house will be much colder than the sun room. Honestly, I can keep it as cool or hot as I need to or as my plants would prefer.

Thank you...I cant wait to move in on FRIDAY. I'll post pictures when I get it all set up.

• watergal
    17 years ago

Sounds like good temperatures for many plants. You might actually have to worry more about extended periods over 95 degrees, as plants can find that somewhat stressful.

Which direction does it face? If you're facing south, west, or even east and not shaded by trees, you could do almost any tropical. Stay away from brugmansias, daturas, and castor beans - very poisonous. Bird of paradise is a great foliage plant with large leaves and easy to grow if you don't overwater. Tropical hibiscus for flowers. Mandevilla or dipladenia for vines and flowers. Bromeliads for long-lasting flowers. Orchids if you want to take the time to learn a bit about them (try phals or cattaleyas for your temps). Palms (rhapis is easiest but pricey, kentia likewise) and bananas (stick with a dwarf variety) add instant tropics. How about a barrel pond or small fountain to add some water to your tropics?

• issol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

WOW! Thanks for all the advice. I want to put a small pond or waterfall, but I dont even know where to start for that. Should I buy it, make it? If i make it, how? What type of water plants do I need to keep the tropical theme? If you have any advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks for the post!

• watergal
    17 years ago

Check out my web site for some small container ponds to get your creative ideas flowing. Your library or bookstore probably has some great books about "water features for small gardens".

You might have trouble with waterlilies indoors unless you have VERY bright light - try a miniature like Helvola if you do. Dwarf plants are what you want - try a dwarf umbrella palm or dwarf papyrus.

Here is a link that might be useful: my container ponds page

• thistle5
    17 years ago

I'm sure you'll love your new sunroom. Gardengal has given you some great ideas for plants. I have an unheated sunporch, which houses lots of orchids, a BOP, hibiscus, var. Belize ficus,bromeliads, hoyas,jade plant, & a bunch of asstd. begonias. I put up IKEA curtain rods over the windows & have a number of orchids in teak baskets, as well as a wandering jew & 3 begonias (I think the var is richmondensis) that I bought as hanging plants in bloom in May, that have been blooming nonstop since then-these have to be one of my favorite plants-purplish foliage & tiny white flowers!

I think adding a small water feature would help your plants as well, for additional humidity. I do alot of misting, but I'm going to add a humidifier, too. Most of my plants move outside in the summer & that room is pretty hot, even w/ a ceiling fan & some shading from deciduous trees-I hope you enjoy your new space!

Gardengal, your water gardens are an inspiration! I have a tiny popup pond (plastic liner & pump)that I've used for the past 2 years, planted w/ various water plants-this past summer, I put most of my phragmipediums in baskets & left them until Oct., I think. At the end of theseason, I picked up a Vietnamese glazed bowl, 25" diameter, 11.5" high, that I plan to use as a water gardennext summer-maybe I'll sink the popup pond...

• thistle5
    17 years ago

Please excuse me, I meant to say Watergal, I can't quite figure out how to edit my posts...