Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Potatoes in buckets?

Posted by sweetquietplace 6 WNC mt. (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 16:34

This is my first visit to the Container Forum and I'm hoping someone can tell if I can grow sweet potatoes in a five-gallon bucket and let the vines trail down over a stone wall. Or, do the vines have to make contact with the soil? I've never grown sweet potatoes and don't really know what to do with them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Potatoes in buckets?

A five gallon bucket wouldn't allow much space for the tubers to develop. I'd go with a rectangular tote that gives bigger surface area and more soil.

o
RE: Sweet Potatoes in buckets?

The vines don't need to make contact with the ground. But they often re-root and you get some extra potatoes that way. Not sure how that would work with containers, but it happens when they're grown in-ground.

I've read that containers work fine. You'll want deep ones. Think about the size of an average sweet potato, and then imagine you'll get about 6 of those from each plant. I guess that will tell you how much space you need.

Since you've never grown them before, be sure to read up on curing and storing them. You need to cure them in a warm place after you dig them, then store them in a cool location for 6-8 weeks so the sugars develop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here