Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor compost soil pests!!!!

Posted by AV5590 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 11, 11 at 17:02

So i've recently picked up gardening as a hobbie after scoring a job at a composting farm. Right now its gettin colder out and im in the process of getting indoor plants started. I started noticing something was weird when i noticed these small white/clear bugs overwhelming new growth of my biggest pepper plant. Now im getting the impression the problem is in the soil? because every plant that sprouts out looks like it has been gettin chomped on by millions of these tiny bugs!! Should i have waited for the soil to completely dry out before i used it on indoor plants? Since there are no natural predators to eat them? Would love to hear feedback!! Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor compost soil pests!!!!

Sounds like aphids....
I deal with them every year on my indoor pepper plants.
You can use an insecticidal soap to deal with the aphids. I like to rinse my plants
after I treat them (before the sun hits them again). Repeat applications will be required.

Better than soaps or sprays, however, are Ladybugs...and Ladybug larva in particular.

Josh

o

Considering you are planting in compost, my guess is you have a problem with fungus gnats. The larvae in the soil will eat your new roots. They can be controlled with drenches of a BT solution which can be made by dissolving Mosquito Dunks in water. Al

o

Al, these pests are covering and distorting new growth, so I wouldn't think fungus gnats,
which are more of a nuisance (and would present a threat to seedling roots if anything).

AV, click the link to the Hot Pepper Forum - many others are dealing with this issue.
The first pic in the Thread ought to confirm whether you have aphids or not.

Aphids?

Josh

o

Of course Josh is right, gnats do not eat foliage. The flying gnat is a nuisance, the larvae do the damage to the plant. Al

o

Josh: I loved that Aphids link! Gives me fond (?!?) memories of my summer battles with the little bastards. My only question is that the original poster said his bugs were "chomping" on new growth. Aphids suck, and don't chew. A photo would help.

o

I think "chomped" is being used figuratively ;-)
But we do need to wait for the original poster to clarify.

Aphids are a yearly joy for me....

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here