Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time release fertilizer

Posted by TheMasterGardener1 none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 18, 11 at 17:10

Hey folks. I have just found my one stop fertilizer: Miracle Gro Shake n Feed Tomato, Fruits & Vegetables Continuous Release Plant Food Plus Calcium. I am not sure why I passed it by all this time. I see it says to use about 1 tbsp per square foot, any idea on how much to use it in a soiless mix in containers? ?tbsp's per 1 gal. of mix

Should I use a tbsp per 3 gal. ? Using it with the 5-1-1 and other soil less mix's.

Please this would help me so much. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time release fertilizer

Not sure why you want to use a time release in a container.
A water soluble is available immediately to the plants and you can control the mix strength and application intervals

o

Yes I use water soluble too. I hear that it is efffective to use both. I want to use this product because it has calcium and sulfur which are not found in most cheap fertilizers. I used MG tomato feed water soluble and even with the lime that was in the medium the peppers got BER. I want to try this product because it has Calcium and sulfer in it. I could try calcium nitrate or gypsum but this seems to be a good ballance. Any thought?

o

I might add the BER was very few and could have to do with the consistent rain I was getting aswell. That said, I still want to have a good amount of Ca and S. Should I just stick with using gypsum considering it has both. Is it ok to mix lime and gypsum or should I wait untill mix is balanced?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you.

o

MG,
when I make my 5-1-1, I add Dolomitic Garden Lime to provide Calcium/Magnesium in the proper ratio.
Per gallon of mix, you add 1 Tablespoon of Lime. In addition, I incorporate Osmocote slow-release
into the mix. Because the mix will be watered so thoroughly, I can expect the 4-month slow-release
to be used up in 3-months. I prefer a shorter term slow-release so that I'm not guessing how much is
or isn't left half-way through the season.

If your mix has a higher starting pH, then add gypsum to your mix. Thereafter, every time you fertilize,
add 1/4 teaspoon Epsom Salts to a gallon of water. That'll make up for the deficiencies in the fertilizer.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh,

The MG tomato water soluble has magnesium so I dont think I should need Epsom Salts. So the lime is enough Ca for the season? Could a little more Ca help? The reason the MG shake n feed cought my eye is because it has cheaper than Osmocote and has Ca in it.

So it does not mater how much slow release I use? It is ok to use both slow release and water soluble right?

If I dont use gypsum and only just lime I am still missing Sulfur too. Thats why i think I shuld use the slow release.
Thanks again Josh

o

What are the numbers and ratios on the MG product?

Liming your mix once should be sufficient for the season.
I use Foliage Pro in addition to the Osmocote and the Lime. What I notice is that the plants
begin to demand more fertilizer (to stay a vital green) as the Osmocote is depleted around mid-season.
At that point, I increase the Foliage Pro slightly to keep my veggies (hot peppers) producing well.
I use 1 teaspoon Foliage Pro per gallon of water, applied once a week ("Fertilizer Friday") to start.
If my plants show some nitrogen deficiency, I go a little heavier on the Foliage Pro (1.5 teaspoons).

With my Citrus, I fertilize even heavier. During prime growth, I hit 'em with 1 Tablespoon per gallon.
But those are long-term plantings (not annuals), and a different fertilizer strategy is used.

Josh

o

Thank you. I was about to get FP.

"What are the numbers and ratios on the MG product?"

Nitrogen 9.00%
Phosphorous 4.00%
Potassium 12.00%

Sulfur 7.00%
Calcium 1.40%

Magnesium 3.50%
Copper 0.05%
Iron 0.90%
Manganese 0.35%
Zinc 0.10%

o

Hmmmm....

NPK - 9-4-12. If those numbers were moved around - 12-4-9 - then you'd be in business.

I wouldn't use something with such a high Potassium number. Just doesn't make sense.

I have no ideological objections to using chemical fertilizers, but I am opposed
to wastefulness whether organic or synthetic.

Josh

o

Yea its 9-4-12, if I use a periodic feeding of bloom booster 10-15-10 or all purpose shouldnt that be ok?

Whats wrong with 9-4-12?

Should I just use the water soluble MG and gypsum (plaster of Paris)? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here