Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using zilla lizard bedding for Al's gritty mix

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 14, 09 at 17:14

I know that there are a lot of zilla lizard bedding products for people who use Al's gritty mix, but which kind of bedding works the best with the gritty mix??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using zilla lizard bedding for Al's gritty mix

The bark that I use is Zoo Med Premium Repti Bark. It is a little pricey, but it's the only fir bark that I can find around here. I pay about $17 for 24 quarts.

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 15, 09 at 8:36

I also use the Reptibark, which is 100% fir bark. I buy the medium or large sized bags.

o

Walmart $8.00 2 cu.ft expands to 4 cu.ft.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 16, 09 at 8:41

IF fir bark expands at all, it's an insignificant amount and it surely doesn't double in volume under any practical circumstances.

Al

o

Wed, Dec 16, 09 at 12:54

The only thing I've seen at the big box stores that expands is coco coir mulch... and I would not use that in a medium mix.

o

I believe what is meant is the bag is 2 cu ft (compressed together )and when opened you have 4 cu ft. uncompressed

o

Sun, Jan 10, 10 at 22:31

Yes, I know what compressed means... but the product you're talking about is not fir bark... it's coco coir. And I would not recommend using coco coir in place of the fir bark.

o

Sorry It is hamster bedding. Made from pine.

o

Tue, Jan 12, 10 at 10:04

Ok... same thing... not usable as an Al's Mix ingredient. What you're talking about are pine shavings, not pine bark.

Those pet bedding shavings also come in Aspen, which is great for bedding puppies because it's a lot less dusty than pine... and Cedar, which I wouldn't recommend using for pets or plants! Cedar has a chemical that harms the interior organs of animals, and will eventually cause their kidneys to shut down.

Pine or Fir 'Bark' is the item we're looking for.

o

LOL....i wouldn't put my kids on any "Zilla bedding"..LOL

I wonder how they slipped in here!!! LOL..

Maybe if we were back in the stone age...it might be nice to place them on a bed of Reptibark!!

Take care everyone!!!

: )

Laura in VB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here