Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
San Antonio pine bark fines source

Posted by fun-gi San Antonio, TX (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 7, 11 at 17:38

Hello all,

I've looked through the gritty mix source thread, and unless I missed it there were no San Antonio sources for pine bark fines. I have found turface MVP (about $10.00 a bag - ewing irrigation) and granite (about $8.00 a bag - St. Hedwig Feed and Supply).

I have called landscape suppliers, orchid suppliers, compost and mulch suppliers, local nurseries, and went to the big box stores with no luck. I will go with repti bark if necessary, but after finding good sources for the other components, it would be a shame not to find a source for the pine bark also.

So if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Billy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: San Antonio pine bark fines source

Suggest just keep looking. Last year I thought I was going to strike out big time here in Syracuse, NY. I just kept looking and ended up with a few sources. IMO you've done the hard part already. You will eventually find the pine bark.

o

When you talk to orchid suppliers, ask about seedling bark. In my experience, it is usually a good size for gritty mix. Though you should certainly check it out yourself before purchasing.

o

I buy 20 or more bags of pine bark fines in Texas every year in Dallas or Midland/Odessa. San Antonio should have similar products available. The big box stores almost always have it, but it will be labeled "soil conditioner" or "landscape mix". Your problem may be that it is mid-winter and the stores haven't restocked for the next growing season.

o

I get mine from Lowe's labeled as landscape mix that you would have to use 1/4 (or is that 1/8th"?) screen to screen out fine stuff from landscape mix. Pretty cheap for 3 cubic feet bag which I think costs 3.50 dollars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here