Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briana_2006

Mealy bugs and gritty mix

briana_2006
11 years ago

Hello all -

In addition to the benefits of the gritty mix in terms of drainage and providing air to the rootzone, I understand the gritty mix does not support the environment needed for fungus gnats to survive as do peat based soils.

I was wondering if this applies to other typical pests such as mealybugs.

I haven't yet switched everything over to the gritty mix and so I have a couple of plants with mealy bugs. After I remove them by washing, spraying etc and switch to gritty mix will the problem of mealy bugs be a memory?

Also, after I screen turface MVP (50 lbs) through 1/8 inch insect screen roughly how much of the material should I expect to dispose of because it goes through the screen -- enough to fill a quart container? -- when I screen it seems as though a lot goes through -- it also seems when I think I am about done and nothing more is coming out -- if I shake the material more -- stil more material exits the screen?

Once I screen out the fines in the 50 lbs of turface and screen the fines out of the granite (50 lbs gran-i-grit grower) and the fir bark -- how much total mix should I expect to end up with in terms of quarts or cubic feet?

Thanks,
Brian

Comments (4)