Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with mulch!

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 17:40

The soil mix recipe I use for container gardening (NOTE: This is not for raised beds, this is preemptive) uses a soil less mix.

The bulk of the mix calls for pine bark mulch (2-3 cubic feet per 30 gallon batch). The rest of the soil mix is pine bark mulch, coarse vermiculite, spaghnum peat moss, some lime (dolomite, NOT fast-acting) and Oscomote fertilizer.

THe mix was drying out too fast, cause the size of mulch I was using was too large; I used it right out of thebag without making the pieces smaller. I didn't realize it was supposed to be made smaller.

I found double-shredded pine bark mulch. Would this work for my soil less mix?

If not, what are my alternatives. Locally there is no shredded pine bark mulch or mulch in small size pieces, and it HAS to be pine mulch as it's what the recipe calls for.

The only thing that is available would be pine chips or pine bark nuggets. If the double shredded pine won't work for the soil less mix, will either the nuggets or pine chips work or are they still too large in size?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with mulch!

Do you have photo of double-shredded pine bark mulch?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here