Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fugee13_gw

Indoor container garden

fugee13
13 years ago

I live in an apartment in atlanta, ga with no outdoor space whatsoever. What I DO have is a sunroom with skylights and a full wall of windows. I am interested in trying to grow some vegetables in containers in my sunroom. The things i am most interested in trying to grow are carrots, potatoes, herbs, spinach, maybe even try and grow some corn. Any advice? Ideas? Warnings? Suggestions? Anything? I have never attempted to grow anything before. Well, i did accidentally grow a pumpkin vine once when I left a pumpkin to rot on a bale of hay after Halloween, but that is really not the same situation. I would appreciate any information you guys can give me.

Comments (6)

• retiredprof
    13 years ago

fugee: To be really honest, you need to take a year out and research and study basic gardening. Trust me and others here--you're not going to grow corn in a sunroom.

• msfuzz
    13 years ago

On the other hand, with the right situation & the right equipment, it is possible to grow many herbs and vegetables indoors. But I do agree that the best place to start is to do lots and lots of reading. Container gardening is it's own science, and then to add the indoor component, you've got a lot to learn! Things like potatoes and corn take fairly large, deep containers. Different types of vegetables need different amounts of light, and water, and ambient temperatures. That being said, if you're not afraid of failing & making errors, just start trying! See what works for others, try new things, try combinations of things, and see what happens! The awesome thing about gardening is that there are neverending opportunities to get it right, and to try again if it didn't go well the first time (or the second, or the third...)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Go with the herbs! Some of those will work!

Josh

• jolj
    13 years ago

fugee13, I would do both, read-surf the net & start the herbs.
    You will learn a lot with basil & mint.As for corn, how high is the sun room, they make short corn,but even if you can grow it.The time & space will yield little reward. Corn puts more in the compost pile then in your soup. But I will not tell not to do it. If you had told me I could talk to 1000 people from 200 country about gardening, while sitting in my kitchen drinking coffee. I would never believe it. But now the net & 6 garden site later, I do not count much as imposable! http:kitchengardeners.org

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Start growing right away. That's how you'll learn.

I began my indoor garden journey last year after inspired by a movie. I live in an apartment with no outdoor space or balcony so basically my plants are indoor 24/7. I began with corns, herbs, and veggies. I found that herbs were easiest to grow. Now my apartment is full of tropical plants. They are growing in commercial bagged soil, which is less than ideal, but I do manage to keep them alive and some plants thriving, from all the tips/information I gathered on here. So yes, Garden web is a great resource, i suggest you take the time to read the container, houseplant and pests forums.

• jamesporter
    13 years ago

Agreed, it is a lot of work. And corn is pretty impractical indoors, mostly because of pollination issues. But you can grow a surprising quantity of food inside. I'll post a link to a very basic introduction to growing vegetables indoors. It is just a starting point. Definitely do some more research, but don't get overwhelmed with everything you have to learn. Try some experiments and see what works. That's how many of us got started, and then learned the "correct" methods later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor Vegetable Gardening