Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering wick for houseplants

Posted by bett_julibrissin 5b/6a (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 15, 10 at 18:43

I'm going to be away from home for about a month, and I have a few plants that I'm worried won't be watered properly if I leave them for my family to watch. I was thinking about using a container of water and a wick to keep the plants watered, but I have never tried this before. I was wondering whether there is a chance of over watering when using a wick, or if the soil's dampness regulates how much water is wicked up. Some of the plants are in light bark mixtures, while some others have sandy soil mixes. If it helps, most of the plants I would have used this for are young tree seedlings, and possibly my bell pepper bonsai and rose cuttings as well. The rest of my plants are mostly cacti and slightly hardier things like my 2 avocados, so they should survive my mother!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering wick for houseplants

I'm sorry no one has answered your question. I don't have the answer, but I would think for a month it should work. It might keep the bark constantly damp, which wouldn't be good long term, but a month should be okay.

Sorry, I don't use wicks but am guessing it should be fine for a month.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here