Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyslate

Relative Weight of Gritty Mix?

greyslate
15 years ago

I've been perusing the container forums for weeks and trying to absorb all of the wonderful information out there (thanks everyone!). However, I was wondering about the weight of Al's Gritty Mix (Turface:granite:bark), compared to normal commercial potting mixes? This is now a question near and dear to my heart as I look towards the prospect of transplanting all my balcony plants into tapla's mix (without having to worry about losing the front of the building). I haven't assembled all the parts yet - so I can't measure it directly myself (or I wouldn't need the assistance).

A follow-up question is the prospect of replacing the granite (part or all) with perlite for weight reduction? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

I would guess it to weigh about 1/3 more than most commonly used container soils.

If you've been reading closely, you probably learned that size matters. You could replace the granite component with perlite or anything else that is durable, fairly nonabsorbent, and is the same size as crushed granite, so long as it's not phytotoxic.

I like the granite simply because I find it's pre-screened size perfect. I/you can up the volume of Turface/decrease granite to increase water retention, or up the granite/decrease Turface to reduce water retention. The combination gives the soil a good deal of versatility, but it happens to be the size of the granite and not it's other physical properties that make it useful in adding versatility. With Turface, it is its tremendous porosity and ability to retain water, along with its appropriate size that makes it so useful.

Good luck! Merry Christmas, too!

Al

• jefe12234
    15 years ago

I've tried a number of mixes and found that particle size tends to have a greater effect on porosity than the material used. I don't see why you couldn't shuffle the ingredients as long as the materials are screened to remove fines. One product I really like is calcined diatomaceous earth. It's sold as an oil absorbent at Napa auto parts (part #8822). It's a lot like Turface but even more porous/lightweight and has a gray/white color. I think I payed $7.50 for a 6 gallon bag (IIRC). Perlite is lighter yet, but I don't like how it floats. It's also been said to have a relatively high fluoride content which could be harmful to some plants, although I don't know how true that is.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

Perlite is fairly high in fluoride, that is true. We've talked about calcined DE products like Axis and Play Ball and there is no reason not to use them. In fact, they are superior to Turface in a couple of areas.

While what you said about porosity is true, the beauty in using products like calcined clays and DE, is that they have tremendous internal porosity. That we can still maintain a particulate size and surface shape that promotes excellent macro-porosity and aeration, while taking advantage of the water-holding ability offered in the internal porosity of the calcined products mentioned is a great asset.

Al

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I don't know if this will help anyone... I've been doing a fair amount of reading and searching, looking for an alternative to granite chips or turface I could easily acquire in my area. I came upon this website, and the information on medium is excellent. Link below...

Actually, I enjoyed the entire website... I'm not sure I have the knowledge or patience for bonsai, but the cultural information is indispensable... for me, anyway!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonsai Mediums

• greyslate
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the assistance one and all (and hope your holidays are finding you well)! I think I'm going to go ahead and try tapla's mix per normal in a few pots, and change out the others over time (once I get a final assessment at max. weight for the deck:).

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I do find Al's mix to be heavier weight-wise, but I wouldn't trade it for all the free bagged potting soil on the planet! It's indispensable for growing healthy root systems, and healthy roots make healthy plants and flowers!

I mainly use it for my vast potted bulb collection, and I can't say enough about the fact that since switching, I've experienced no rot or fungus whatsoever! Many of my bulbs are prone to rot and fungus... especially when potted in regular potting soils.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

You're so funny, Al! But I do like the title! Gosh, I feel like I just got a promotion! :-)

I just can't help extolling the virtues of a product that really works... when you find a solution to a gardening problem, you just want to share it with everyone... and so, I do!

It's true... Al's mix helps promote healthy root growth, which in turn makes for healthy stems, leaves and blooms! It's made a huge difference in the health of my container grown bulbs!

• defasio1
    8 years ago

Has anyone used gritty mix in really large containers? I have two huge containers that hold about 7 cubic feet. I'm nervous about the weight

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert