Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantcrazed101

Can I fertilize again? with gritty mix after seeing fert. salts?

plantcrazed101
10 years ago

So I re-potted several African Violets from some peat-based soil that didn't drain well into an adapted version (I hope) of Al's gritty mix:

32% - 1/4" - 1/32" Natural Cascade Mountain Volcanic Lava rock. Pleasing mix of red, grey, black and white.

32% - 1/4" - 1/32" Natural Cascade Mountain Volcanic Pumice. Pumice has many tiny gaps or air pockets that allow roots access to oxygen, nutrients and water. Pumice improves both water retention and drainage.

32% - Turface MVP. Turface MVP contain 26% solid material, 39% water-holding capacity and 35% air-holding capacity. This allows Turface MVP to hold water and oxygen ��" as well as nutrients ��" in nearly perfect balance, helping to produce fine root systems.

I used a screen to get rid of dust and the smaller particles so that everything was larger than 1/8 of an inch.

Can I go ahead and use Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro now that they have been repotted? Or should I leave them alone with no nutrients until they get adjusted? Not sure what to do. I'm not sure if you should fertilize because the salts show signs of lack of nutrition or if you should avoid because they have too much.

Also another question, does all that nitrogen prevent or limit the amount of blooming?

Thanks

Comments (3)