Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my gritty mix okay?

Posted by samuelforest 5bMontreal (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 11 at 21:30

Hello guys, I just maked my first gritty mix in Montreal Quebec Canada. It was made with repti bark, turface MVP and poultry grit. I would like you guys to say your opinion about it espiecially AL's one.

Here's how it looks like

poultry grit

poultry grit

Turface MVP

Final product

Final product

Thanks in advance
Samuel Forest

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my gritty mix okay?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 7:31

Looks good! Only questions are: Did you screen the ingredients and is the poultry grit something other than limestone or crushed shell fish? I know it says 'poultry gravel', but just checking. I'm surprised that you found Turface in Canada. Good job! I know you'll be pleased. Keep your eyes open for a less expensive source of pine/fir bark; and keep your thread active by asking questions as they arise - if they do. ..... and remember that it holds more water than you think it is holding.

Al

o

Hello Al! Yes, I screened the ingredients and the poultry grit is not limestone and shellfish. It looks like quartz, I really don't know,I checked on the site of the compagny ,but I was unable to find what it was...

Yes I know repti bark is expensive, and here in Canada they sell only 8 quarts bag...

The Turface was not that hard to find, I went on Turface MVP website and I was able to find a distributor near Montreal. It's a big greenhouse that make fertilizer and sells to other greenhouses and even farmers. The turface was bit more expensive than yours because I'm in Canada and it cost 17$, but when I saw the bag, I said OMG it's big. If someone is interested their name is Plant Prod and their website is: http://www.plantprod.com/

Thanks Al
Samuel Forest

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 10:01

You're in good shape ....... and so very welcome. Between a sincere wish for a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays - pick the one that leaves you feeling best!

Al

o

Thanks Al.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here