Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Lantana

Posted by Indiana.Matt 6a Indiana (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 22:37

I am experimenting with overwintering my Lantana, but they are having a problem. Now, I understand they won't be looking there best during the winter, but I don't think the leaves are supposed to turn black and fall off. Does anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks,
Indiana.Matt
Matthew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Lantana

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 7:40

Too cold? soil too wet? level of soluble salts in the soil too high? reaction to something topically applied?

Over-wintering it where? indoors - outdoors - basement - @ what temp - how much light? Give us a little something to work with ....

Al

o

Temps: 65-70 F
State: Indiana (46181)
Light: West facing window (very cloudy this time of year)

I dug them up after frost shot them down, cut them back to a few inches, cleaned off the roots (they looked very healthy), repotted them in fresh potting mix. They have been growing very well.

I only water them when they start to get a little dry, but I did take them out and give them a good soaking with the garden hose.

The west facing window is a patio door. It could be leaking cold air at night.

Indiana.Matt
Matthew

o

A picture of the whole plant would be helpful.

This seems to happen to a lot of plants in the mint family when you try to move them indoors - it's certainly the case with basils. The plant also appears etiolated from a lack of light.

The cause is probably some combination of 1) low humidity indoors, especially when central heating is on 2) root dysfunction/rot from soil conditions being too wet.

Go back to only watering when it feels dry. Try making a clear plastic tent of some kind to increase humidity. A simple compact fluorescent positioned over the plant, as close to it as possible, may help too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here