Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsmith717

mango tree in a pot in stl,mo!?

Brandon Smith
11 years ago

Hey there. I have many plants, regular house plants, cacti, other succulents, etc. Now I want a Mango tree and I want one bad! Not really just my humor coming out.

I have found some on eBay but am thinking that this time of year wouldn't be the best for the plant to be shipped to me. I'm open to sources a d not at all set on eBay, its just where I found some that seamed reasonable.

It seems there is a lot more to these than just putting it in a nice pot, water/feed, put out in spring/summer, take in during fall/winter, and in between enjoy your fruit.

Any info or links to required/good reading would be fantastic!

Thank you very much.

Comments (25)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Brandon

Why don't you try growing one from a seed? I think it's quite easy to get roots from a mango seed (-or is it a pit? just like growing the avocado tree from a pit). And you can enjoy eating the mango first...Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 14:56

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

From what I have read a mango tree that has been grown from a seed (regardless of type) will produce horrible fruit. Have you heard that?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

I didn't hear that, I grew some but for ornamental purpose only since my zone is not 'warm' enough & I don't have a greenhouse...not sure if it could ever bear fruit otherwise. Rina

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone have any info/experience on this one?

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

It is nice to have a Mango tree I had one and I learned my hard lesson that Mango is a tropical plant and our north climate is not suitable to it. You can not grow a Mango tree into a pot Unless you want to have it as a decoration until it dies. The mango tree need lots of space, lots of sun, lots of hot weather It can grow to be as big as your house. I tried Mango and failed. I tried banana and failed. Now I am trying Citrus
    and at the moment I feel I need a prayer.

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have seen many people with potted small (4'-6') plants that produce a pretty good amount of fruit.

When did your plants die and why do you think that was?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

I think our friend, Nancy, grows mangos in pots and does a very good job of it at that. I sent her a link to your thread, so hopefully she'll offer any insight she might be able to share.

Al

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Al!

I do grow a grafted mango tree in a pot...I've had this tree since (appx.) Nov. 2006. Grafted mango trees are best. Growing for seed is fine if you just want a nice houseplant but chances are they won't produce good tasting fruits plus it takes much longer for a mango planted from seed to produce fruit.

I live in FL so I don't have to bring my plant inside in the winter (except on the few days a year we have a freeze), but now my pot is quite large...its on its own,lol...

Send me an email and I can give you a name of a forum that will answer a lot of your questions on growing mangoes in pots. There is also a "tropical fruit forum" right here on GW that is full of information.

There is a mail order place in Miami area...called Pine Island Nursery. You can Google it, I believe they ship but I'm sure its not cheap. Pickering is one of a few dwarf/semi dwarf variety that's recommended for Containers. Good luck!

Here's a picture of mine blooming right now...If I'm lucky enough to not get a freeze this year I should have some fruits by late June or July.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Here's a picture with a few fruits from last year...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Beautiful, Nancy!

Josh

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is fantastic nancy! You really do have mini trees. Ill have to cart mine around twice a year so ill have to fab up some type of caster system. I have a mini skid at work that I think would work very nicely.

How many mangos do you get from your trees and do you have to have a male tree to pollinate?

My email is bsmith717@yahoo

Thank you very, very much!

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Josh and bsmith

I've gotten anywhere from 5-10 mangoes a year...it varies with how many blooms get pollinated and or what type of winter we're having.

It will definitely help you to have something to cart the plant inside and out during cold weather. I used to have mine in a smaller pot and I was able to use a Dolly to bring it inside the garage a few days of freeze/frost weather but now its just too HUGE/Heavy to move around,lol...

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Here's one of my inground mango trees...I have 7 trees planted in the ground ranging from 7 months old to 6 years old. Its a real challenge for me every winter to protect them from freeze. We get appx. 3-6 days a year of freezing temps that have damaged my trees severely. Most of my trees are now too large to protect and will have to leave it to Mother Nature to see if they survive?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Nancy

Your mango trees are so great looking, and the fruit!
    What did you use to protect ones planted outside from freezing?
    And do you need a separate/male polinator (Brandon already asked this question)?

Rina

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would think a pollinator tree would be necessary but obviously I'm not knowledgeable at all when it comes to these plants. Hopefully not but well see what Nancy has to say, thanks for bumping my question Rina! :)

I can almost taste some ice cream mangos!!!

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Nice growing, Nancy! I would so enjoy being able to grow in a warmer and more humid climate! I can only dream... :-)

I think it's also important to address the medium used and other factors that affect root growth... such as fertilizer, watering habits, root pruning... since we're mainly talking about containerized growing... as opposed to growing directly in the ground, which is quite different... and maintaining a healthy and sizable root mass over a long period of time.

In other words, it might be beneficial to learn a bit about maintaining long term tree root health in containers, and the basics of container growing before launching into the specifics of one plant type... given that most plants are basically similar at a very basic level.

To put it succinctly, there's no such thing as a "green thumb"... successful plant husbandry relies on the application of knowledge.

If the plant's needs are all successfully met, there's no reason a person can't grow a Mango tree, in a container, to fruit.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Rina!!

I'm sorry I forgot to answer that question earlier :o)

Nope, you do NOT need a pollinator for mango trees...bees, flies and other insects does the pollinating so if you have trees inside the house of course they won't get pollinated, although I have read some people hand pollinate them with a small brush. Bring them outside during the day if they have blooms on them ( as long as temps are above freezing temps of course) so the insects can do the job for you...

Rina, I've used frost blankets, comforters,sheets, tarps and heat source like light bulbs, old fashioned Christmas lights and halogen bulbs (you name it I've used it,lol...) to try and protect them.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Jodi, I didn't see your post till after I posed above,lol...You are SO right!! Thanks for explaining it so well.

Rina, here's another one of my protection I've used.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

It's hard for me to imagine a need for protecting anything in such a mild climate, but Florida does get the odd frost or dip in temperature now and again. Lights and frost blankets must give a very Christmas-y feel to certain neighborhoods during the winter months!

Yes, I feel as though there's a very basic knowledge of plants and how they grow, and how growing in containers differs so greatly from growing directly in the garden, that we don't often learn as the base to our "gardening knowledge", so to speak... and if we learn these basics first, applying that knowledge to individual types of plants and growing conditions is made that much easier, and gives us that much more success.

I think we have to look at the gardening/plant industry as just that, an industry. It exists to make a profit, and not necessarily to convey the truth in information or sell products that will lead to our success.

But the basics of science and physics doesn't change. What plants require to grow healthy roots remains the same. And once we separate the worlds of container growing and garden growing, and we see how we are in control of what that plant in the confines of the pot needs and gets... as opposed to gardens and the organic nature... it becomes so easy to have that success.

I found that base of knowledge in Al's article entitled "Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention", and its updates. It allowed me to think logically and clearly about organic growing versus inorganic growing, dispelled a lot of fallacies, and gave me the facts about what roots need to stay healthy within a confined space. It was a great starting point to my learning.

Along the way, I learned that each grower has a different and unique set of circumstances to overcome within their own environment or micro-environment, and that one-size-fits-all growing does not exist. There will be certain adjustments required, and what works for one grower may not work for everyone.

However, I feel as though that base of knowledge is very important... a very important starting point for anyone wanting real success in container growing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention XVI

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Nancy

Thank you for the answer & posting the photos.
    Just like Jodi, I have never thought that you would have to protect plants in Fla.

I push the zone little, hoping to overwinter plants that are on margins of our zone. That usually works with good mulching. But mango would need a greenhouse here...

Rina

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

You're welcome Rina, most people have that notion about FL but I do live in an area in FL that do get a few days of freeze, luckily not nearly as bad as in North FL. South FL has the best location for occasional or no freeze at all some years, but even they get them once in a while :o(

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately in any industry the main goal is to succeed. In order to succeed there must be profits gained so yes there is no way your going to get the full boat of info from the aforementioned companies. It's like 80% of the fish sold in the box stores, not one have I seen anywhere on a tank housing common plecostomus that they get a foot long and need a tank of 50+ gallons when adult. And don't get me started on the most common name they are labeled with 'algae eater', what a joke. But they sure do sell the stuff out of them!

Fortunately my gardening has mainly been in potted containers (other than my aquatic gardening), so keeping plants happy in pots has been what I'm used to.

I am nothing but a novice here and truely appreciate everyone's comments; hoping they continue to be posted enlightening me with practically every posit.

This post was edited by bsmith717 on Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 14:11

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

There was a point in time when ethics and integrity meant something... when a company took pride in its products and valued its reputation and maintaining a quality product line. That's more the exception than the rule today, more's the pity.

Money and the collecting thereof has become top priority. Enough is never enough. And there's a sucker born every minute that will buy inferior items for an illogical purpose.

It's almost become acceptable that products won't last, aren't made with quality in mind, and a warranty doesn't need to be attached. Consumers take what is offered at face value, very seldom delving into any research on a product's viability or usefulness.

We might not think this applies to the gardening industry, as benign as it seems, but in order to squeeze a profit, it becomes necessary to sell in mass quantity, and ensure repeat sales through the quick demise of plant materials.

Once we learn the basic science and physics of what happens within the confined space of a container, and what is truly necessary to maintain healthy root systems, we can easily see how the industry caters to themselves and not to the consumer.

• angel_fl
    11 years ago

Those are some nice trees you have there Nancy. I'm north Florida and I'm trying to keep my potted. so far so good. I bought a Cogshall at a show last year and it gave me one Mango. I also purchase a Kent and it has flowers on it already.