Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aka_peggy

I cam't take it anymore!!!!

aka_peggy
18 years ago

I fell off the wagon!! I'm a stubborn person but I'm not a masochist. Veilchen, you were right, there's nothing out there that even comes close. Heck, I even tried to join DG over the weekend but I found it very confusing. It's free...but then they say you have to pay when you try to visit the forums??? I get confused easily so I soon gave up. Then I read here that the site is upgrading due to the heavy influx of refugee's from here.

Oh my, why do things have to change? I was having so much fun. (I suppose that's like asking why my hair is turning gray)

I don't mean to sound like an alarmist but I'm still troubled by the verbiage on the "terms of agreement" Particularly about iV being able to share our personal information with it's many affiliates.

In spite of this, I've decided that I'm only punishing myself by leaving. This place has been a refuge for me and in spite of the problems, I can't leave yet. So even if I don't post, I still visit for the information. I just won't give them my email address.

I do miss Vgkg...er vgkg, as I can't help but notice he ( and others) don't post as much recently. His posts have always been so helpful and humorous. A mentor to us all.

And what happened to the soil underground?

Comments (12)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

Well, stick around Peggy. I plan to also.
    DG gives full privileges for subscribing. They could use more vegetable and fruit gardeners over there. I don't see this as a GW or DG choice only.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

I should have said that there are no ads over there......so they have got to generate funds somehow.

• veilchen
    18 years ago

What's DG? I've been browsing some other forums and they just don't have the traffic like GW does. I'm glad you decided to come back, Peggy.

A lot of people are ****ed off since IV put up the new terms of service statement. On one hand, it doesn't concern me that much because I don't post that many pictures, and the ones I do aren't that good anyways. On the other hand, it would really **** ME off if they started using the content of our posts for their own profit. I've been reading a lot of complaints in other forums, and it could be just a case of IV being overzealous in stating their rights. But in the meantime a lot of people are wandering off.

I don't know what went on the soil underground. From what I can glean, somebody upset somebody and the owner pulled the site. Then someone from TSU made yet another new site, I have the link if you want to email me. I haven't been there much, although I'd like to, I don't have time to keep up with the conversations.

Anyways, GW is working great for me right now. They still must have me listed as a paid member as I don't get any ads. I am back to being automatically logged in. So far no spam. I just hope they don't make any more changes. I know sooner or later they're bound to make the site full of aggressive popups visible to everyone. When the day comes I have to chase around several popups (despite my own popup block) every time I click on a post, I won't have the patience for GW anymore.

• veilchen
    18 years ago

whoops just saw in the garden journal thread it's called Dave's garden (I'll do a search?) and vgkg gave you a link to the compost froup.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    18 years ago

Thanks for the kind words Peggy. I guess my posting has dwindled off over the past year or so but that's really due to me constantly repeating myself and havintg less new stuff to offer as time goes on. The other site I listed on the Jan Journal covers gardening and a lot more, perhaps too much more at times but the froup (as it's called) stays relatively calm even during heated topics, even religious and political topics. Do swing by and take a look, everyone! It's free too.

• toad_ca
    18 years ago

What's a "froup"? My Googling hasn't really given me an answer.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    18 years ago

The word "froup" actually originated as a typo when one of the forum members was typing the word "Group" and hit F instead of G. Since that time "Froup" has been accepted as shorthand meaning "Friendly Group"

• marshallz10
    18 years ago

vgkg is really the King of the Froups; he's just too shy to admit to regal aspirations or respirations. :)

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    18 years ago

Ha, no King am I (except for in my garden perhaps). I'm more in the court jester category. I don't think there is a "king" over there, but Marshall on the otherhand would surely be the Wise & Knowing Merlin of the Froup.

• aka_peggy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lol! You guys are funny.

I haven't posted since before the 24th until today. For some reason I was unable to change my email address on my profile until this morning. So maybe things are getting back to normal??

Nah!!

Veilchen, I've been going to this site on ocassion. http://thegardenforums.org/index.php

Lots of "ship jumpers" there but I find it confusing to manuever my way around but then I'm kinda slow at times. Like you, I don't have time to keep up with conversations. (unless they pertain to some aspect of gardening)

It's too bad because it seems many of the problems here comes from a lack of communication from iV. Their "bedside manner" leaves much to be desired but I don't think they care. I've seen where a lot of folks say there are ways to avoid the pop-ups but I'm not good at that kind of stuff. I tried surfing under the re_registering handle and was bombarded with puppies running across the screen, some guys in skimpy underwear and then a Crystal Light ad with women doing a happy dance. You can't close it out or even go "back" most times and it keeps playing over and over. I can't imagine having to see that crap every time I come here.

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Try the Firefox Browser with the Adblock extension.

Works quite well.

:)

• cochiseaz8
    17 years ago

I understand exactly .. this site has been politicaly (nearly) demonisized.. How sad.. .I loved the banter, the knowledge. the spankings, the love. theat took place here. I have been soo busy with the other property that Have not had the time to keep up,,, and am dissapointed with these changes as well. would still like to keep in touch.. slow on the draw. where you go'in?