Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vgking

February 2005 Garden Journal

vgkg Z-7 Va
18 years ago

HA, Well, it's not that bad but might as well be (not my place). Nothing growing or being harvested at this time. Pruning the fruit trees is my present yard chore. Also mapping out the Spring planting diagrams. Daffodils are showing some buds now. Tulips are smarter, no sign of them yet.

Comments (9)

• goddessemer6
    18 years ago

I noticed my Daffodiles popping up about 1 1/2 weeks ago! I'm so excited cant wait until they bloom. I planted about 50 in a bed along the front entrance walkway a couple of months ago. I can't wait to see all that wonderful spring time color! My crocus and my golden muscari are in bloom now too!

~Rose

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

Nothing doing much outside. Inside I have about 10 stalks of amaryllis in bloom, an orchid, and a bougainvillea. ...nice here inside out of the latest snow.
    I got my melon seeds though...and the others.

On DG there is a thread of posting a picture of yourself on the tomato forum. I do have a perfect one but it is from an older format...not JPEG etc. It shows me in a decent [that's rare] pictuce with a half watermelon. I would say on the tomato thread that the melons were my first love...not tomatoes. hah!

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Rose & Wayne, I'm still waiting for my Wilhite melon seed order to roll in, hopefully any day now. Wayne, did you mean that there is a pic of you over there? What's DG mean?

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Vgkg, DG is Dave's Garden.

I have lots of daff's and a few tulips that popped up a couple of weeks ago. It's been so warm that I've seen buds on some of my trees as well.

I ordered from Fedco (and others) before the end of the year. I got all my seeds from the other places promptly Then I got a notice from Fedco mid-Jan that some of the seeds were on backorder. Then last Monday I got another letter that stated they were "out of stock." Geez, I wish they'd told me a little sooner so I could have ordered them some place else. I won't be placing any more orders this year.

Does anyone want seeds of blacktail mountain melon? I got them in a trade, 72 in all. They're dated 2003. If so, let me know here. I can't assess my new hotmail account for some strange reason:)

Wayne, I have 2 amaryllis about to flower, an orchid and a cyclamen. They're so nice this time of year aren't they?

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Peggy, I can't seem to find your email addy on your page. Send me an email (my addy should be on my page) and I'll send you my list of WM seeds, would like to trade some for a few of your BTs. Thanks for the kind offer, vgkg

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Hi Vgkg,

You've got mail!!

• heidibird
    18 years ago

We have had no rain in almost 5 months in my area. :-( Crocuses should be up by now, but they probably needed the moisture too and DH does not like watering the lawn. (guess I should have made some puppy dogs eyes at him and hooked up the sprinklers).

We have had an unseasonably warm winter with temperatures many days in the 60s and 70s. Talk about confusing our trees. The fruit trees all have some form of budding. My pluot tree, which I planted last year, appears to be the furthest along with some white and pink showing. It is much too early for what I am seeing. We have a cold front on its way which may bring snow or sleet this weekend. If I counted right, that should be about the time my lettuce and radishes will want to pop up-of course. *sigh*

I have not placed my seed order yet for my warm season veggies, even though I vowed to myself that I would have that done by the first of February.

~Heidi (crossing her fingers for rain instead of sleet)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

Yeah, Peggy. I have 12 amarylis stalks...two colors. The orchid has 5 blooms and the fragrance fills the room.

No, vgkg, my picture isn't there. I thought it would be fun to praise watermelons on the tomato forum......so many people are tomato crazy. I like tomatoes, but prefer a good melon about anytime!

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's a tough choice Wayne but it's more fun to eat an ice cold watermelon on a hot summer day :). Speaking of which, my Willhite seeds arrived last Thursday. Getting eager to get started.....only about 8 weeks before indoor seeding starts for the melons. 6 weeks for the maters.