Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tikanas2

February Garden Journal

Tikanas2
19 years ago

So, How does your garden grow?

We have 8 varieties of lettuce which we are resowing every 2nd week.

Scallions and garlic tops harvested every 3 days. Bok choi, Pak Choi and other Chinese cabbage are about 2 weeks away from picking.

Peas are covering both sides of a 33' fence. Western wildflowers and nasturtiums grow up another 12' fence. The grapes are pruned and look pretty bare along the arbor, so I planted some scarlett runner beans to cover the arbor and provde some color.

Some peppers (habeneros, pimento and anaheim) overwintering quite well and STILL producing!

4 artichoke (golden globe) are about 2' tall. Spinach, beets, mustard, and the rest of the brassicas are coming along nicely.

Iv'e seen a few white fly but we are so far aphid free. Leeks (American flag) are 6' tall in pots as are a variety of herbs and waiting for transplant into one of the raised beds. Various fingerling potatoes are just being started in compost in one gallon pots, where they will stay.

Just starting eggplant and peppers.Heirloom Tomatoes will come from a nursery this year (NO MORE ROOM to start anymore seedlings)

We are busy putting together trellisses and decorating the perimeter of our garden with river rock and have really beefed up our composting efforts.

Tell me about yours!! Cochiseaz, any more pig problems?? :)

Tikanas

Comments (12)

• mstrgrdnr
    19 years ago

Collards, cabbage, broccoli, garlic, and onions all growing well and very happy.

Already cut the collards twice and it is almost time for the first cutting of broccoli.

Several varieties of endive, mesclun, arugula, lettuce, and other salad greens growing in a home made PVC and plastic sheeting hoophouse.

Finally got the wire compost bins moved to the other side of the garden so that I can convert that more sunny space into a planting area.

Raised beds are now complete....it only took me three seasons to build those frames. :)

I am going to cut up my seed potatoes in a little while so that they have time to heal over by Sat when I plant them.

So much I want to be doing, but this weather has been much less than cooperative.

Good Gardening!

Aubrey

• cochiseaz8
    19 years ago

Those little porcines are making my gardening life miserable.. I've taken to fire arms,, so far I've done sling shot, (with shattered marbles), pellet gun,,, I think I'm ready for the 30.06. They just turn around and give me "the hoof" when I hit 'em in the butt. The dog is to scared to run 'em off (as they do tear up a dog quickly), just last night my sweet old neighbor told me to run a twine soaked in amonia around the fence, though I haven't tried it yet, I will get to it and hope for the best. I have found the pigs don't like radiccio, horseradish, land cress, radish, or peas (which are doing great guns, popping like pop corn, white blooms everywhere), but they think beet greens, endive, romain, kale, fres'ee, butter leaf is all there for they're pleasure. I've started chil-tepin from a wild variety which have they're second set of leaves, but are looking chlorotic so gave 'em a small whiff of blood meal and compost tea. Have had good success with fennegreek starts, (I use alot of it in cooking, but it's expensive) and have found that the whole plant is culinary, but mostly looking forward to the harvest of seed. Have put off starting tomes cause I want to take a road trip with the offspring in early summer and don't want the maintainance burden then. I will leave the house sitter with a full complement of ammunition and anti pig weapons , providing the amonia / string thing doesn't work, The herbs are going gangbusters, what a treat to have fresh cilantro, parsley, tarragon, chive, rosemary for every night meals,,, I am truly blessed, even if I do have those damnable boars on the property,, much love and good garden, darlene

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    19 years ago

Garden is asleep here in Va. It get about 2 months of rest before 10 months of active duty. Presently trimming the dormant fruit trees, grape vines, raspberry canes, roses, etc. and will thin out the strawberries when weather permits. Did stock up on seeds and starting mix (my time to rest too ;o). vgkg

• veilchen
    19 years ago

Good luck with the pigs, Darlene!

Nothing at all going on here. Garden snow-covered and I am waiting til I get back from Disney before I start seeds.

• heidibird
    19 years ago

Hubby has tilled the garden and I am waiting for the second tilling to be done. Too wet right now for it. We had 1/2 inch of rain so far this month. My seeds are all ordered, but I think I am going to find somewhere to order the heirloom tomato plants from as I have no luck growing either toms or peppers from seed. :-( It's about time to think about doing the dormant spraying for the trees and I suppose the pruning of the trees and grapevines is close as well.
    ~Heidi

• euglossa
    19 years ago

My garden is buried under two feet of snow, with more on the way.

I've made up a few small seed orders and have one big one ready to send. By the end of the month it will be time to start some things in a friend's greenhouse.

I have plans to set up quite a few new beds this year, I am hoping that I'll have a nice long spring as I did last year so I'll have time to get it all done.

Ellen

• heidibird
    19 years ago

Still have not tilled the garden. We have been having just enough rain to keep things a little wetter then DH likes when using the tiller. Had planned to get the lettuce and radishes planted yesterday. Temps were 75 and it was gorgoeus. Unexpected company put a quick end to that planning. Garlic just arrived Saturday and that needs to go in soon. I forgot to order for the fall planting, so will see how the spring planting goes. Still need to get some tomato plants ordered as my seedlings never survive. :-(

My Belle of Georgia peach is ahead in its bud swelling. You can already see the pink. The other 2 peach trees(an unknown and a 2 year old Harken) are not far behind. Strange to see them swell so early. My mature apricot should be the first to show. Not sure any more if the 4 year old North Star cherry tree is dead or not. She turned completely brown in late summer. However, I "think" I see some budding and I was able to bend some of the branches instead of snapping them. Hope to know in the next couple of weeks because I have a few replacement trees ordered...and one was to go in that spot.
    Yellow crocuses have been blooming for several weeks now and the purple just started blooming this past week. For the 800 bulbs I planted in the last 2 years, I don't see a lot of blooms. Wonder if the squirrels are getting the bulbs. Hyacinths are just starting to bud up too. Forsythia and lilacs are awakening, although their blooms should not arrive for a while yet.
    ~Heidi

• veilchen
    19 years ago

We just got about another 8" of snow yesterday. Total of about 2' out there, so gardening still seems a long ways away.

Talk to me in March.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    19 years ago

Was nice here yesterday on Prez Day holiday so I took advantage and tilled up a new virgin plot for spring planting. Also combined 2 compost piles from last fall into one big pile and wrapped up trimming the crept myrtles that line one side of our lot. Got all seeds and starter materials ready for indoor early guys later in March. Still working on house projects while garden is idle. Mapping out veggie plots. vgkg

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    19 years ago

I forgot to mention that the Daffodils are budding-up here now and now 4-6" of snow is predicted tomorrow. Glad they're not blooming yet. vgkg

• chinamigarden
    19 years ago

I have a nice 6 inch layer of snow mulch on my garden. My plans for February is to start making a cold frame this weekend.

• cochiseaz8
    19 years ago

It started to rain, then the pigs disappeared, I guess they prefered acorns and knotweed which came out in profusion after the 1st inch of slow rain, haven't seen them in over a week.. thank God(dess). This'll be a pretty good year , I think, darlene