Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinamigarden

google searches

chinamigarden
17 years ago

Is it just me, am I being too sensitive. But does anyone else find it rude and a bit insulting to have someone answer your question with a link that takes you to a search page. I see this all the time and it just now happened to me. Like I don't know how to search the internet. Frankly the reason I come to gardenweb is to ask actual gardeners questions. Not to read through page after page of university studies on growing veggies. I am actually hoping that one of my fellow gardeners here can say, and they usually do, I have done this before and here is how it works. Just like I do for others.

Comments (11)

• organic_nut
    17 years ago

I consider the nicest and best answer to be a google link. then I can look up the answers I am looking for.

If you dont want links then I suggest you say so when you ask questions.

My feeling is that if you want the answer to a question then you will be willing to do a little work to get the answer. dont expect everyone else to simply do your work for you.

I keep wondering why people ask these simple questions that can be answered so simply with a google search. I have wondered if they are simply lazy or not aware how easy it can be to find an answer.

lastly I think the google search is the best response because I always find the questions not well defined. the google answers allows the person to find the answer that best fits his circumstances.

My other suggestion is that you find another way to ask your question. for example you might ask if other people have done something and ask them how it turned out.

• chinamigarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If you think a google search is the best answer, why would you be part of a community like this?

Like I said I don't want to wade through page after page of studies done in a university, which is what so many internet searches turn up. I would rather have a gardener answer a question if they have specific experience in the topic. Its not about being "lazy" as you so kindly put it. Its about an exchange of information and experiences.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    17 years ago

What seems even more perplexing are suggestions to "consult your local county agent" for an answer. Good advice in some complex respects but not for most simple questions like when to plant beans, etc.

• thedens
    17 years ago

One problem with google searches is that you don't know how accurate the information you come up with is going to be. You're inevitably going to get a mixed bag of commercial sites offering information skewed to generate profit for themselves, sites and blogs of self-professed experts who aren't nearly as knowledgeable as they think they are, highly opinionated diatribes that only offer one point of view, technical sites that go way over the heads of gardening newbies, and yes, some sites that are complete, accurate, and helpful. While these sites are easy to tell apart if you already know what you're doing, it's easy to forget that a less experienced gardener isn't always going to be able to tell which information is accurate and which isn't. Even an extension office website isn't always what it's cracked up to be; the articles are only as impartial as the gardener who wrote them, and I have seen articles on these sites that were very opinionated (for example, I saw one recently that went on at length about the superiority of hybrid tomatoes, and suggested that attempting OP or heirloom varieties was never worth the effort).
    In a forum like this one, however, inaccurate information will rarely go uncorrected by other posters. Biased opinions are almost always going to be balanced with other points of view. If an answer is too technical, one can ask for, and will usually receive, clarification.
    Personally, when I have a question the first thing I do is search the forum archives to see if it's been asked before. Usually, I find the subject has been covered before, and I highly recommend that people take this approach. If it hasn't been, I go ahead and ask. I do google things sometimes, but I consider the forums -the- best, fairest, and most accurate source of information, not Google.

Denna

• jimster
    17 years ago

China,

I understand your frustration with getting a search page as an answer.

However, I often include a link to a specific site with my answer, usually to supplement my verbal reply, but sometimes as my entire reply. Such a link is one which I found especially good and to the point and better than any answer I could compose. It also is from a more authoritative source than moi. But then, I doubt that this is the type of reply which offends you. I'm merely making an observation about useful uses of links.

Jim

• chinamigarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jim,

I love an informative reply that ends with something like. I learned even more about this at this link. A link that takes me to a gardening site that discusses my particular question, I find to be most useful. For instance if someone asked about asparagus and a reply answers the question and then gives a link to an asparagus grower who has asparagus growing tips for the home gardener, I think that is a great response.

Dave

• ntaylor_2006
    17 years ago

Dave - I agree. I have had a couple of questions answered with links, and am running about 50% as to whether they are useful or not. Some people assume they know the answers, and answer with a link. Wasted motion.

YOu are right - what we seek here tends to be subjective info. - how does it taste, how easy was it in your zone.

Thanks for bringing it up - it was one of my pet peeves, as well.

Regards.

• ben_950
    17 years ago

Well put by all.
    Regurgitation of fact sheets and online resources that anyone can look up, is a waste of everyone's time. When I post a question, I'm looking to draw from the real life experience of fellow members. Likewise when I post a response, I'm merely offering what works for me, and wouldn't expect it's perfectly suited for everyone's situation.

Ben

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

If you want real life experiences, then post so in your initial post when creating a thread. I never assume that anyone wants one thing or another. I do assume they want to be able to find a response to what they are looking for that works no matter what they are asking.

Some people find the links useful, others don't bother to look because they have a different principle. There is no rule here at GW saying you can't post search engine links. This is an open forum and everyone can contribute their responses as they wish.

When I find it appropriate to type out a personal response, I do. When I find it appropriate to post a specific link or a search engine link to several sources of information, then I post accordingly.

Technically, everyone can search. But there are techniques that allow for more specific searches so not everyone always gets the same results.

If you find a response annoying feel free to post your own response or ignore it. That's what the forums are for.

:)

vgkg,
    You are the only one who goes as far back as I do as far as being an active member of GW. Good to see you, it's been a while.

What seems even more perplexing are suggestions to "consult your local county agent" for an answer. Good advice in some complex respects but not for most simple questions like when to plant beans, etc.

I disagree. If someone asks when to plant beans and can call their extension office and have the following information sent to their house for free so they have it on hand to refer to, I see nothing more simple than this:

{{gwi:4005}}

{{gwi:4006}}

{{gwi:4007}}

• feldon30
    17 years ago

If someone posts a question that so obviously indicates that they didn't even TRY to find an answer like "does anyone know anything about 'San Marzano' tomatoes? I found this transplant at store X and I was trying to find some info." They didn't try very hard. :)

Now if they asked "Do people like San Marzano better than other romas/paste tomatoes?" or "Which paste tomato do you like best for spaghetti sauce?" then that's totally different.

Sometimes I strongly disagree with violet's google links. Sometimes I agree. It depends on the circumstance.

Knowing when to plant beans is the kind of information that county extension services are supposed to provide, since they've done the studies and have the historical data. Sure you can ask people when they planted beans last year, but I like looking at the recommendations of a panel of Master Gardeners.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    17 years ago

I find the use of "local" whatever to be even more annoying than a link to a Google search page, howbeit both are a bit rude - sometimes. I once went to my local county extension office to ask about soil and the woman told me "We only do the Rodeo and the crossword".

(One time a few years ago there was two replies that said see you local county extension office. One OP was from India and the other from Maylasia.)

The people on language forums who are often professional communicators suggest posting the gest of the answer and including a link, if you feel a need to link.