Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sperales3012

helpful tips for the aspiring Chile growers

sperales3012
12 years ago

I was raised in New Mexico, the Chile central of the USA(no NM is not located in Mexico), and so I picked up quite a bit of tips on growing pepper plants from my dad. 1) peppers love dry soil and bright sun. the worst thing you could do to a pepper is plant it in a shaded, moist area. water is needed but allow the soil to dry in between waterings, or if in a mixed garden, water a little each day rather than allowing water to pool underneath the plant. also, the brighter the sun, the happier it will be. 2) when dealing with seedlings, keep in mind that all seedlings(no matter the variety) are vulnerable, so it is okay to keep seedlings moist and out of direct sunlight if you have the option. if not, then just keep an eye on them. 3) the tip to growing a HOT(or not) chile is the amount of water you give the plant. the less water you give it, the hotter the pepper it will produce; going with that, the more water you give, the milder the heat level...these tips will work for most peppers(the natives in NM especially, such as green chile varieties like Big Jim and various Jalepeno varieties). hopefully this helped and if you have any other tips I would love to hear them

Comment (1)