Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
helpful tips for the aspiring Chile growers

Posted by sperales3012 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 15:57

I was raised in New Mexico, the Chile central of the USA(no NM is not located in Mexico), and so I picked up quite a bit of tips on growing pepper plants from my dad. 1) peppers love dry soil and bright sun. the worst thing you could do to a pepper is plant it in a shaded, moist area. water is needed but allow the soil to dry in between waterings, or if in a mixed garden, water a little each day rather than allowing water to pool underneath the plant. also, the brighter the sun, the happier it will be. 2) when dealing with seedlings, keep in mind that all seedlings(no matter the variety) are vulnerable, so it is okay to keep seedlings moist and out of direct sunlight if you have the option. if not, then just keep an eye on them. 3) the tip to growing a HOT(or not) chile is the amount of water you give the plant. the less water you give it, the hotter the pepper it will produce; going with that, the more water you give, the milder the heat level...these tips will work for most peppers(the natives in NM especially, such as green chile varieties like Big Jim and various Jalepeno varieties). hopefully this helped and if you have any other tips I would love to hear them

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: helpful tips for the aspiring Chile growers

Some great info, especially on watering. #1 killer of peppers is overwatering.

It should be noted, however, that if you are located in a Mediterranean climate summer can quickly exceed the threshold for most chile varieties, at which time blossoms and fruit drop and continue to drop until temperatures subside. Point being that in these hotter climates full sun is excessive and results in a lower yield overall, regardless of slightly better growth/yield in early spring and fall. In my experience peppers in the hottest climates require less sun and benefit from a break at some point, preferably mid-late afternoon.

Many people locally avoid peppers like the plague because they are directed to plant them in full sun when in fact it is too hot for them. When stall from June to August they are often ripped out before they have a chance in autumn.

In most climates the OP is absolutely correct but this should be noted for Mediterranean or hotter climate gardeners. I have a piece of burlap shading my peppers now and it hasn't hit 100° yet. Technically 70°-80° is the ideal temperature range, IIRC.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here