Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vgking

MAY Garden Journal

vgkg Z-7 Va
18 years ago

Whoa, where to begin?

Veggies:

Picking Asparagus daily now, Radishes too.

Lettuce coming along but had to replant for better germination.

Carrots are sparce but enough, onion sets are doing well.

Picked Spinach for dinner last nite, first pickings.

Early corn and bush beans are up good.

Most of the tomatoes are in the ground now.

Broccoli & cabbage transplants getting bigger, all doing well except 4 Packman Brocs that bolted on me.

Melon seeds inside under lights.

Cukes & summer Squash seeds in ground now.

Fruits:

Strawberries blooming like Crazy, looks like a banner year. VgQn & I spilt the first one last nite and it was really sweet! (Early-Glo)

Asian pears & Peaches have formed up nicely, may get about 50 of each this first year of production if they don't drop.

Apples, figs, regular pears, plums, cherries, and hazelnut trees are leafing out good but no blooms except for a few cherries.

Grape vine are growing rapidly, several grape clusters can be seen now.

Raspberries are leafing out good too.

Will be planting 2nd batch of corn tomorrow as well as the rest of the tomato plants & peppers. Weather is expected to reach into the 80s early next week so melons soon to follow.

I think that's it? That's enough ;o)

vgkg

Comments (9)

• ellen_
    18 years ago

Tomatoes and peppers are doing great. Have been starting to harden toms off in coldframe and hope to plant after the middle of the month. Will start hardening off peppers after it warms up more.
    Lettuce is mostly planted. Most of the broccoli didn't come up, but will plant that which did. Onions are in and garlic is looking great. Hope to plant radishes this week along with rest of lettuce. Will plant cuke and melon seeds as well as beans later in month once ground is warmer. Basil is coming along nicely along with marigolds and alyssum. Bought lots of perennials last year so don't have to fill in flower beds as much this year. Have been cleaning them up around the bulbs which are all still flowering nicely.

• veilchen
    18 years ago

Still a bit behind here, and nights have been borderline below-freezing this week. Even cool-weather crops growing slowly, the only lettuce we've eaten is from the greenhouse. Actually that's the only thing we've eaten from the garden so far. Onions and leeks in, just sitting there, carrots barely germinated, lettuce and other mixed greens very small.

Peppers and eggplant in gh, poor tomato seedlings just breaking first leaves. Got a late start on them due to Apr. vacation and the fact that I decided to keep them in the gh after germination (cold nights). Trying to keep to a minimum what's inside under lights.

But oh how delicious the garden lettuce is! All winter/spring I have tried numerous brands/varieties from the supermarket and wholefoods store of baby greens--we usually end up leaving 3/4 of these salads on our plates, no enthusiasm. But last night's fresh-picked greens were completely finished off and we wished we had more.

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

My garden is progressing so nicely...everything is looking good. I just have to get out and get some new (or more) beds going...I just want to plant some of everything...My potatoes are beautiful ...full of blooms and a nice green color...very little beetle damage at all...onions are fabulous...doing good hope one bed of them will make some nice slicers...tomatoes are lush looking and growing nicely...I keep mounding the dirt against the stem and my green beans and limas are growing good, I love beans so I have lots of varieties growing and just planted some Florida speckled beans...climbers along the fence...Asparagus up and growing but this is the first year bed so no picking..squash looks good and my corm plants growing...got watermelon and cantelope ready to transplant plus lots of romas ready to go in...I just love gardening...

My yard obviously is bare since it's a new house and a great neighbor brought me iris, japanese iris, agapanthus and lantana...she is going to be my best friend...LOL

• wanna_be_farmer
    18 years ago

So far keeping about a week behind what I should be doing. Tomatoes hardened off but not in the ground yet Peppers too. Cages are ready just looking for the hour or two to do it!

Potatoes doing great bugs on them already. Beets Radishes Onions Garlic and Lettuce all coming along. Haven't had the first salad but hopefully soon.

Couple of the beans have poked up I noticed today. Corn Squash and Cucumber seeds still on the counter. I need to get moving!

Did get my Postage Stamp Orchard from Burgess planted. I call it the stick farm. May be a few years till they bear fruit if all six of them make it. No more mail order tree's for me. Ended up buying three fruit tree's from Lowes to make it look like I planted something. The Peach tree from Lowes had fruit set on it already and is coming along good.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

Weather has warmed up some again...quite a cold spell there!
    No potatoes up yet.
    Lettuce and such are still small.
    Carrots are up finally!
    First sweet corn is up....will plant more soon.
    Planted green beans today.
    Set out 14 tomatoes today...they are exceptionally nice as I have taken them outdoors nearly every day since they were little.
    Onions are looking good.
    Apples finally are getting more bees on them....don't know if many king blossoms got pollinated.
    Melons will soon be getting transplanted.
    Strawberries are blooming...some varieties.
    Raspberries look good.
    Blackberries took a hit and are all killed back except one vine that was lying on the ground.

• cochiseaz8
    18 years ago

All the lettuces, beets, radiccio, cress, and peas are spent, tilled under and feeding the next crop of toms and okra. Chiletepins and Bolivians, Andeans are in black containers and doing well, as are Meyer lemon and mango, (a pretty good stretch for my region). Ihave an urge for a nice mediterrainian fig if I can find one and a replacement peach as the last one went TULO on me. New property next door to play with, 3 whole lots!! But the first order of business is a retaining wall,, then a play house for "them boys" I'll think about the house later. darlene

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I got all my watermelons, cantaloapes, honeydews, tomatoes, & peppers in the ground now that it looks like warm temps are here to "stay".
    Only items left to plant during May & early June are pumpkins, winter squashes, and 3 later plots of corn.

Now to keep up with the weeding and hope that the rains come on time.
    Picking spinach, asparagus, buttoned broccoli, strawberries so far. Cabbages are heading up now.
    No pests to speak of but I'm sure it won't be long.....

• wanna_be_farmer
    18 years ago

Finally got cought up on planting. Cukes and melons now in the ground. Corn planted may do another batch in a week or so. Would like to do another row of beets. First row getiing close. Need to thin the Bush beans since there all up now.

Radishes are ripe for the picking. Spinach and some leaf lettuce making nice salads now.

Four of the Six stick fruit tress are thriving. Two are kinda iffy and look like sending shoots out from the roots. Figs didn't come out but shooting up from the staulk. Guess there not as cold hardy as i thought?

• MLcom
    18 years ago

Salad harvest everyday in May. Radishes and winter sowed lettuce.

So many tomato plants not sure if can get them all planted by sept at this rate. Maybe if the plantings are spread out they fruit will also do the same. Have over 50 in the ground now, it is lack of space for more.

Spinach is done till summer plants get planted. Used a variety called "Space"

Warm weather plants just now planting the seeds directly into the garden. IE the tomato patch.

Very dry may here one day we had up to 4 inches but not much else.

Hay prices going up and down due to the sporatic rain falls. Great to make hay but not all is growing due to lack of rain.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company