Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground Hog and Possum problem !!!

Posted by dannyholikati (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 16:01

We purchased an new home 3 years ago and I have finally cleared a area out back for vegetable garden..about 40x30...and we have groundhogs and possum...the area where our house was built was farmland and I think the ground hogs and possum were there before the house were built...I did buy a trap and have caught 1 possum so far and relocated him...I think that whe I catch and relocate the ground hog and possum that are there I will be O.K...it is a neighborhood now and I think once I get rid of these guys no more will be back...my question is...if I do not catch all of the groundhogs and possums before my garden is planted can I spray my seedlings with something(diluted tabasco sauce) or something...I do not want to kill these guys...they were there before us,but I do want a garden...what spray would work and not harm the seedlings...I am growing silver queen corn,cantaloupe,squash,watermelon,tomato and sweet peppers...I also heard that you can dust the seedlings with baby powder...PLEASE...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND TIME...Danny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground Hog and Possum problem !!!

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, May 18, 06 at 13:01

Danny, my area has loads of deer and rabbits but my special homebrew recipe seems to keep them at a distance. Human urine dabbled around the garden perimeter after each rain. I save it up during the winter and spread once plants have germinated, not too close to the plants but close enough. It's free and plentiful but it does go fast during a rainy season. Might go into business one day, label the product as "P1ssoff!" ;o) - Try it, they won't like it! (esp after a long winter, ha).
Note : not sure if it will deter possums - they smell so bad themselves that they may not notice.

o
RE: Ground Hog and Possum problem !!!

Danny, I'll quote you from another site: "Opossums are in fact immensely beneficial to the environment. Opossums move around a lot, while rats and mice usually come to stay, not to mention the fact the oppossums will feed on mice if give the opportunity. They are the best squirrel-proff technology you can afford. From Creature Comforts by Joel Thomas" My question to you is- what problems do you have with possums, that you would want to relocate them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here