Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aka_peggy

And I thought it was gonna be a smooth ride

aka_peggy
15 years ago

I've been having a wonderful summer. Great weather. Just the right amount of rainfall. No significant bugs to speak of. Life is good.

I've been coming to this site for almost 10 years now and in that time I've gotten to know some remarkable people. I've learned more from the folks here than I ever would have dreamed possible.

So I've decided to let my friends here know that I'm fighting a new "bug" these days. I was diagnosed with brain cancer less than one month ago. I've since had surgery and I've been home for 2 weeks. I'll spare you the details but my recovery has been amazing and I was home in 2 days. (I insisted) FWIW, The cancer is an astrocytoma. Needless to say, I'm in treatment and will be for the rest of my life. I'm a young 59 yo and I wasn't on any meds whatsoever until 3 wks ago. Just living well and enjoying life.

We're taking it one day at a time. I have a wonderful support system. My family, friends and neighbors are THE BEST. I don't need for anything and I'm not looking for sympathy. In fact, I'm doing great at this time. I feel very positive and intend to fight this with everything I've got!

My garden is coming along nicely this summer and I'll soon be enjoying the fruits of my labor. And if the bugs give me a little slack I'll have even more fruits to labor over. So far, so good. I have about 23 tomatoes and about the same amount of peppers. I have corn, greens, beans, okra, cukes, more beans, melons, berries galore, onions, garlic, apples, asian pears, cherries, figs, grapes and more. I'll post some pics later.

Thanks for the ear. Positive thoughts are welcome!

Comments (26)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

Ah, Peggy, I was wondering if you were going to share this with the online folks, and I'm glad you decided to. All of us praying for you can't hurt! You know you have my prayers and love.

• anney
    15 years ago

Peggy

That had to be an awful shock! It sounds like you've been able to tackle it quickly, and you certainly have my good thoughts.

Your gardening scope is larger than mine, and you'll certainly stay busy, given that list of goodies under your care!

Anyway, enjoy the healthy fruits of your labors. It sounds like you're gonna' have a lot of them!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Peggy, your positive attitude is inspirational! Of course you have my best wishes! I'm glad the garden is there for you too. Good for the body & good for the spirit. Take care.

• cols_grdnr
    15 years ago

The attitude that comes through in your post seems like just the one that would thwart any bothersome astrocytoma that dares to stand in it's path.
    Sending positive vibes your way.

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

Get as well as you possibly can, as soon as you possibly can! And then stay that way :-).

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

A positive attitude is 99% of the recovery...keep up the good work and enjoy life with everything you have!

• jimster
    15 years ago

Peggy, all I can say is I'm glad you have good people around you, including your friends here on the forum. I'm glad the garden is doing well too. I know that can be greatly comforting to the spirit. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. We enjoy your company.

Jim

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

Peggy - Nice to "meet" you. I agree with the other posts - attitude is very important and it seems like you are in the right place with that. When you are able to concentrate on the good things and are grateful, the bad things don't have as much power.

Thank you for your post, it has reminded me that I need to appreciate life a little more (and get back to my gratitude journal). I would think that your garden gives you even more pleasure now.

Maureen

• jodifromoregon
    15 years ago

Hello Peggy. I'm Jodi from Bend, Oregon. It's a delight to meet you, and I send much love and hugs your way, Hon. I can tell from your post that you are a warm, wise, strong, and loving lady.

I have a cousin currently fighting two types of blood cancers (a lymphoma and a leukemia) at only age 30. He is also making a remarkable recovery, and I count blessings every day. And I am 48 years young and have multiple medical conditions; severe rheumatoid arthritis in particular. When I talked to my husband about adding a vegetable garden to my gardening projects this year, he said, "Babe, you have a progressive disease. You may be taking on a lot more than you will be able to handle soon." I started to cry and told him, "But Scotty... I have a progressive disease... and that is exactly why I need to do this."

He built me 3 beautiful 4 x 8 raised beds. High enough for me to be able to reach them easily. And he willingly paid the extra to have 4 yards of soil delivered by a truck with a conveyor belt, so the soil could be poured right into those beds, one at a time.

A positive attitude and loving support are everything.

Bless you, Sweetheart. You will be in my loving, positive thoughts.

• htimsgem
    15 years ago

Peggy,
    I'm a newbie gardener, -ironically, I've been gardening about as long as my best friend has been fighting cancer. I find my time in the garden quite theraputic, and I hope you do too. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Meg

• aka_peggy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your warm wishes. It means a lot to know I can come here to visit my ole gardening buds and recieve such a warm welcome.

Also, I enjoy hearing other peoples stories. Thank you all and Jodi, thank you for that story. You said it right. When I came home from the hospital I made a beeline for the garden.

• susaneden
    15 years ago

Peggy--I do not know you, but your post indicates to me you are a strong and lovely person.

I wish you the best in ypur recovery--chase those renegade cells aut of where thy do not belong and are not appreciated!!!!!

I can tell you that attitude is 99% of the battle. Live well, and bountifully!

Nice to meet you :D Will keep you in my prayers.

• barbe_wa
    15 years ago

I've been fighting cancer this past year, too, and the peace and comfort I find in my garden has helped me thru the rough times. I hope you find the same joy in it that I have.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    15 years ago

Peggy,

Healing and health to you. May God bless you.

• momamamo
    15 years ago

Hello Peggy. I just happened across a photo of your garden and thought it was quite attractive. Even though you and I have never 'met', the pic was in its own way an introduction.

My sincere wishes to you for perfect health. Maureen

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

Health and Happiness to you, Peggy! You are a wonderful asset to this community and I have learned much from you, and will continue to do so.

• ourhappyhome
    15 years ago

Gardeners are fighters! Peggy, you gave cancer the knock-out punch. Here's to a speedy and total recovery from an old tomato trading pal.

I'd love to see those pics of the garden.

April

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Hi Peggy,
    I'm glad you shared this with us. All of us sending good, healing thoughts your way has to help, right?
    I'm so glad to hear that you have good, caring people around you. Nature has wonderful healing properties, and it sounds like you're using it as good medicine!
    Please keep us posted on your progress, and know that many of us will think of you and send good thoughts your way.
    ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

• farkee
    15 years ago

Peggy, your strength and attitude are amazing. So glad you shared this--wouldn't have seen it anywhere else. I have read your posts for years and years and this is just the 'right place' to post such news. Makes us all sit back and reminds us not take anything for granted. Hope you get lots of tomatoes to eat , bound to help.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Peggy,
    I'm glad you have a positive attitude. You might get sick of people saying that though, lol. I know you've known who I am for awhile and even traded seeds with me, but you don't know I had breast cancer a few years ago. I'm obviously absolutely fine now. When I was going through everything everyone kept going on about my good attitude. I eventually wanted to start screaming, "What attitude do you want me to have?!" lol.
    I can definitely say gardening is wonderful therapy! I had a few operations and couldn't do much and it was slow going, but I kept at it. I also learned to ignore the messes in the garden and house,lol. In fact my house is still a mess : )
    Wishing you all the best,
    Remy

• aka_peggy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm, I don't know what happened to the post I made here at 1:39 am Sun morning. iV apparently took the liberty of deleting it when they moved this thread from the main page. I don't know why they'd remove it, it was a clean healthy post, honest.

Remy, I hope you see this because I totally understand what you mean when you say; "What attitude do you want me to have?!" I think I must be missing something.

I'm so glad you are well and happy in your messy house, Lol! Enjoy it.

Also, I want to thank all here who sent warm wishes and prayers. You have no idea how happy it makes my heart & soul to read the words you've written on this page.

You folks are the best.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    15 years ago

Apparently Peggy my previous post was also deleted? No matter though, glad to wish my gardening friend a quick and complete recovery as many times as possible. My oldest sister also lives in MD (Emmitsburg) and just recently had surgery for colon cancer. She's undergoing chemo now but is also in as good of spirits as you and is recovering nicely. May you both live well into your 90s. (my sister is now 73). vgkg

• granite
    15 years ago

Yes, my post to you was deleted also. I had to go searching to find this thread because I wanted to share it with my husband after looking at your other post that included pictures of your garden. We're now discussing the possibility of building a "cattle panel" cold frame to protect our fig tree this winter and maybe grow a few cold frame greens.

Hope that you are doing as nicely as your gardens look!

• cochiseaz8
    15 years ago

PEGGY, wE HAVE NEVER MET,,, BUT HAVE BANTERED MANY TIMES OVER OVER LASAGNA VS. NO TILL ,VS. TILL , VS YOU NAME IT!!!!! i REFUSE TO ACCEPT THAT YOU'LL GIVE IN TO THE DEMON... YOU HAVE NOT YET COME TO MY HOME FOR RHUEBARB PIE AND THEREFORE CANNOT SUCCOMB TO THIS NASTY DITCH CALLED CANCER... i HAVE BEATEN IT TWICE... DON'T GIVE UP!!!! kick cancers ass... BEAT IT UP. AND ACCEPT NOTHING LESS.. MY CANDEL IS LIT FOR YOU WOMAN.. iF i CAN DO IT YOU CAN 6 YEARS AGO i HAD A 3 MONTH EXPECTANCY... TUCK THAT!!!!! i WANT LIFE,, i WANT MY HUSBAND.. i WANT TO SEE MY SON.. AND DAUGHTER GROW UP... jUST fIGHT, FIGHT. FIGHT

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

I thought of Peggy and did a search. She unfortunately died earlier this year. : (
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Peggy's Obituary

• aka_peggy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is Peggy's husband and I wanted to thank all of the posters on this thread for their kind thoughts and good wishes. Peggy fought hard until the very end but neither of us were strong enough to win the battle. She died peacefully at home with me holding her tight with lots of friends and family surrounding her singing and telling stories and kissing her goodbye. She will be missed but not forgotten, especially since she spoke so often of her true passion, gardening. I'll never forget the first time I showed her this wonderful site and she started connecting with so many diverse personalities. As you all know, Peggy was very opinionated and did not shy away from vocalizing them.

I didn't feel up to doing this until now, I hope you understand. Feel free to contact me if you would like to share memories of our girl:

brian_reynolds@hotmail.com

Again, thank you one and all for being a part of my wonderful wife's journey through her short visit here.

God bless,
    Brian

PS... thanks Remy for updating everyone.

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!