Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vgking

June Garden Journal....

vgkg Z-7 Va
18 years ago

What happened to May? ;o)

Strawberries were/are still a Big Success! VgQn says "enough already" LOL as she has put up many jars of jam, froze many quarts for later, and is presently whipping up batches of strawberry icecream, yum! Extreme strawberry production this 3rd year of expanded planting so no shortage there, neighbors & family loving them too - "Earli-Glo" gets Big Raves for Sweetness from everyone who has bought those giant tasteless beauties at the store.

Spinach is bolting now but not before VgQn picked and stored the rest.

Broccoli is going nutz too, blanched & froze enough to get us thru to the fall crop. Still getting numerous side-shoots now.

Picked Cabbage #1 yesterday for dinner, yum again.

Snap beans are beginning to bloom now.

Tomatoes are lush & blooming, got a few tiny Sungolds out there now.

Peppers still a bit small but are normally slow growers.

Cukes, watermelons, cantaloapes, and honeydues are now laying over and starting to crawl about.

Early corn is about knee high, almost due for a side-dressing of fert. Mid-season corn about 6" high, later corn just popping up, 2 more sets to plant yet.

5 summer squash varieties are almost at blooming stage.

Onions are looking good, green & young yet.

Asparagus about done now, a fairly good year for those.

Lettuce not yet bitter, a nice mild Spring helped there.

Carrots are spotty...better grown in the fall here.

Radishes doing good too, not too hot.

Grapes are vining up nicely, good clusters all around.

Raspberries are forming up, bees giving them the business.

Peaches & Asian Pears are still holding tight but a few fell victim to pests.

No fruits on regular pears, apples, cherries, plums, or figs (so far). Most trees still young.

Asst Herbs & Flowers looking good as well.

Gonna be a busy month ahead, still need to plant Pumpkins, Winter Squashes, and late corn. Few pests seen thus far but spotted some CO potato beetles (on bolting spinach) and a couple of spotted cuke beetles around squash, plus 1 squash bug - which got squashed.

So how's things growing at your homestead? vgkg

Comments (9)

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

I just tried posting a long report here. Lost it all again!!! Everytime I think my computer is gonna let me slide on thru I lose my message. My Dell isn't here yet, had a delay. Maybe I'll try later on the laptop.

Happy gardening!

• veilchen
    18 years ago

I am so far behind due to the terrible weather we had all May. They said we had exactly one day of sunshine the entire month. The rest rained. Plus it was cold. Put that hand down Vgkg or else I'll move to VA.

My Earliglows are blossoming, hope the berries won't be too long from now. They are the best! Just hate keeping up with the runners the rest of the summer. I gave my friend a bunch of starter plants that were set from the mother plants, so now she will have an Earliglow bed as well.

Pathetic to say, the only lettuce we've had is from the greenhouse. The beds outside will be another week before they are at picking stage.

Peas are growing fine but will be a while. Finally planted my bean and corn seeds the other day. Put a row cover over the corn bed to keep the birds, etc. at bay. Just put in my squash and cuke seeds yesterday. I swear it'd been so rainy and cold, if I did them any earlier they would likely have rotted.

I may or may not plant out my eggplant and pepper seedlings today. They do need transplanting, but I would like to harden them off in the sun for a few more days or else I know they'll get sunburn. They are used to the cold, so that won't be a problem. Tomatoes are still a little weak-looking. They had a rough start in the cold GH, then back inside under lights, now getting used to the outdoors.

Carrots are growing slowly. Daikon radish looks good but I don't know how long it will take before they're ready. Potatoes are up and doing well so far.

I potted up a Fairy Tale eggplant, a grape tomato, and some cuke seeds in the GH to see if I can get an earlier harvest. The start we've had, they may be the only ones that produce before Sept.!

• david52 Zone 6
    18 years ago

Lets see, peas and favas about knee high and flowering, onion sets doing well, garlic booming, probably the best looking plants ever and I just cut scapes two weeks early, tomatoes and egg plants set out, still need to do the peppers, chard, and so on. It got hot and then got cool, now windy. Seeds started for okra. All the winter squash set out, its growing well. Basil already getting snipped, but I do that in greenhouse. 10 new fruit trees planted, 20 older ones sprayed twice, and grass mowed every freakin' week.

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Well, I'm finally on my new Dell Dimension and boy is this thing nice. I feel like I'm finally in the 21st century.

The last 2 weeks has been a rush to get everything planted. I finished planting the beans and okra yesterday. I got a jump start on my "dixie speckled butterpeas" by planting them in peat pots on May 1, 30 plants in all. Now they're in the ground and some are 4". I think I'll do that again next year. All other beans (5 types) aren't even up yet.

My poorly looking tomatoes were planted a couple of weeks ago and I was worried that they wouldn't make it but they look great right now and have already grown quite a bit. I planted a few blue potatoes this yr 1t time. I got them in very late and they're just starting to emerge.

Been harvesting lettuce/greens for several weeks now and planted a 2nd batch of seedlings over the weekend. The asparagus has been incredible. For about 3 weeks, I was harvesting a lb+ a day. It's slowed some now but still coming. By next week this time I'll be harvesting the 1st peas. The vines are hanging heavy with them. I have eggplant too but I'm forced to grow them in a pot 5' off the ground. D*med flea beatles are getting smarter!

I planted more strawberries this spring. I planted a few quinaults last year. This year I planted 25 earliglows but haven't had one yet. Good to hear good reports about them. Also planted 20 tribute of which 10 died. Lowe's puts them out way to early and I bit...hoping for an early spring. oy_! Stupid me/:

My fruit trees are looking sooo good. Looks like we'll get 5-6 asian pears (3 trees) and a couple of purple plums. The apple tree is loaded but I don't think we'll get many of those. I sprayed too late, etc, etc... I tried bagging some after reading a post by the Jellyman on the fruit forum.

Blueberries planted last year are loaded w/berries. Bluecrop and sunshine blue in particular. Powderblue and climax are just starting to show fruit. I am so glad I planted blueberries and only wish I'd done so sooner. Oh well....

I planted a couple of paw paw's in Aug 01 and they're over 5' now. Planted a grape vine on the new "rustic arbor" we built this spring. As soon as I figure out how to use the new digital camera I just got, I'll take a picture of it and post it.

Have fun in the garden! I'll go bag some more apples.

...hey, the temp is gonna be 90° here today........

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

Things are growing well here.
    Potatoes are lush
    Sweetpotatoes are starting to take off.
    Tomatoes are blooming and caged.
    Sweet corn is close to knee high for the first planting with 3 more up and another planted.
    Green beans look so nice....planted some more today.
    Peppers are still small.
    Lettuce is especially nice this year.
    Early watermelons have some fruits started.
    Later watermelons have been slow.
    Apples are looking good...lots of fruit set on all trees except a young one.
    Cuke beetles hatched out and are under close watch....death to them!

• cochiseaz8
    18 years ago

All early green and tender plants are a thing of the past, as we had a heat wave that damn near killed the tomatoes,, ( 104 here in may) broke the 1954 record then we had a succulent 2 1/2 inch rain fall that cooled things off for a week,, well ,, the heat is on again, 96+ today,,, (ahhhh, you can hear the tomatoes grow) but the nights are cool, hovering around 50+ so I'm getting blossom drop and a plethora of night munchers (to be consumed by the early blooming toads) all in all things still appear to be on the raod to bumper crop, The cukes look good and am planning to grow them up the sides of the house, the chil-tepins have tripled, as have the meyer lemons, the cantalopes have not yet shown they're face's, and if anybady has got a trick to growing okra, please tell me!!!,,, they are the biggest prima-donna's in my yard, though I live in the best part of Az. I can't get a harvest, and I love okra pickles!!! It's those dog-gone harvester ants that carry them away single file as they sprout,, I get sick when I watch them martch down the garden path... dang it anyway!!! They like 'em too!! I'm lucky to get 4 plants out of 20 starts,,,, pisses me off darlene

• veilchen
    18 years ago

Welcome back Peggy!!

It makes me feel better that you've just got your beans in--mine just sprouted after planting last week. Unless, of course, they were your 2nd sowing!

I saw my first blossom on the sugar snap peas yesterday.

Going from one extreme to the next here--after cold rainy weather all of May, we finally had a hot sunny weekend. Then Mon. was back down in the low 50s and drizzly. Then yesterday hot hot and 90! My poor plants.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Need some rain here NOW! Been some time since our last good soaking and hotter weather moving in.

Picking snap beans, cukes, squash, onions (spring), and some blueberries and raspberries at this time. Got several cantaloapes, watermelons, and honeydues shaping up to golf ball size. Early corn has now been pollenated, 2nd corn tassles peeking out. Last corn (5th) will be planted after the beans are gone in ~10 days. Pumpkins and winter squashes are up. Tomato plants average about 4-5' high with many green fruits on each. Peppers are peppered. Grapes, peaches, and some Asian pears are plumping up too. Now just need a good rain - well watered everything last nite and glad I mulched heavily this season with compost, grass clippings and pine straw. Not too many pests to deal with yet....a few JBs & some Squash bugs is all at the moment.

• veilchen
    18 years ago

I found a weed growing at the edge of our property down the ditch that resembles a potato plant. It has little dark purple flowers, I don't know what it's called. Anyways, it has potato beetles all over it. Good for me, because the beetles aren't bothering my potato plants (after they layed a lot of eggs). But not so good because I don't want this plant to be a haven and attractant for potato beetles that will overflow into my garden. So we sprayed the weed with Bayer Rose & Flower (good beetle killer).

I found I can actually catch flea beetles when it's cloudy or in the evening.

Ate first sugar snap peas this week. Lettuce still good. Hot weather crops behind due to the cold start. Will be a while before I can even anticipate a tomato (or squash, cuke, etc.)

I planted my corn, then stapled a row cover over the raised bed. I think someting was still able to crawl under it, because almost half of my corn is gone! I removed the row cover this week, and I know there was twice as much corn the week before when I peeked. Maybe mice? or cutworms, caterpillars, already in the soil? Found that when wet, the row cover tears easy. There were a few holes poked in it (birds?). I transplanted some of the seedlings to fill in the gaps, so now I only have a 4' x 6' plot of corn (if the remainders survive). Will probably have terrible pollination, maybe I should just give it up. Sprinkled cayenne pepper on seedlings in exasperation, which should deter mice, squirrels, and birds, but now it's raining. Sigh.

Potatoes are nearly blossoming, hoping for the best crop ever due to good seed potatoes at local nursery + able to plant big chunks vs. measly pieces from mail order.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations