Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manda02_gw

experiment with Rutabega Sprouts

manda02
16 years ago

During the winter I posted a question, which I now canÂt find in this forumÂs archives about growing rutabagas from the sprouts that push up through the wax on some of them bought at the store.

IÂve had little luck growing rutabagas from seed, but got some ideas from this forum, which I will try in my next fall/winter garden.

We had about four sprouts that did so well under a grow light that we decided to plop them in the garden in early February, just to see what they might do. contributors to the original thread on this said the plants would just produce seeds, and while that was true  stalks shot out of them in April, the greens stayed tender, so we cooked them and they were delicious, not tough or bitter at all. The other thing is that each plant had a giant root, not exactly a rutabaga, but its central portion was very rutabaga-like, so we cooked and ate that as well. Not bad for sprouts that pushed through wax. You gotta admire their determination. I would have saved some seeds, but I wasnÂt sure theyÂd come true, even if they did germinate. IÂll stick with my packet from Pine Tree and hope for the best when I start some indoors in August.