Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cirrus12_gw

I seem to be bad at growing roots

Cirrus12
9 years ago

This is year two at attempting a garden. I'm doing square foot gardening this year. Lettuce, corn, kale, beans, peas; they're all doing great. My roots generally fail or are just disappointing. This year I'm attempting beets, carrots, onions and radishes. The onions I bought as plant starts, the rest I started from seed. Here's a run down of what I've been seeing so far.

Carrots: I planned on 32. It looks like something ate most of them. I'm down to about 6. Last year I had the same issue of most of them not surviving. The ones that did survive wound up being depressingly small.

Beets: Those were a complete failure last year. I blamed it on them getting shaded out by the cucumbers. This year they're coming up on about 6 weeks old and none of them have leaves any bigger than half an inch.

Radishes: Small. Small small small. I've pulled about 10 so far and it was about a week after their maturity date was supposed to be. The biggest one was less than half the size it was supposed to be.

Onions: I don't know. It's too early to tell. They look like they might be doing ok. Haven't started bulbing yet, but I wouldn't have expected them to.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Comments (5)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler