Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lhayes1976

I just got a warning from Webmaster???

Lisa Hayes
18 years ago

Can somebody please explain the purpose to me. I just received a warning from the webmaster that I posted inappropriately on the alliums forum. The title of the post was "dumb question" and the question was "what happens to green onions if you leave them in the ground?" The webmaster stated that the title has to accurately describe the content. When I went back to the allium forum there are several posts that don't explain the content. Some examples are:

I can't stand it. . .

Oh, the horror . . .

Oh, dear. . . .

The only explanation I cam come up with is that I used the word "dumb". It was purely innocent. They also removed the post. Am I being paranoid?

Comments (10)

• ellen_
    18 years ago

Unfortunately, I think the reason your post was removed was that your question didn't reflect the nature of your question. I've been deling with this website for 7 or 8 years and somewhere along the line, we were advised to use words in the title of our questions that would alert others to the nature of our problem. For example, we were advised not to just use the phrase (help!) as it doesn't really describe what we're asking for "help" about. We were asked to mention the plant in need and also a word or two that would clue someone in as to what its needs might be. I saw your post. I love to grow garlic and look at that forum. But as I have grown few onions, especially green onions, can't help at all. But by seeing the title of your post, I didn't know whether the subject would be garlic, onions or something else. If your title had been something like "green onion problems", I wouldn't have even had to check it out as I know nothing about green onions. Try to be more descriptive with the titles of your questions and that way people can zero in on the areas they know.

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I can understand that, but my question to the webmaster was "Why was my response singled out?" As I stated there were a few others that didn't state the nature of their problem. I received a very condescending response from the webmaster:
    PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING LINE IN ANY RESPONSE:
    GardenWeb mail response mc29743071014309874ec rosa

Life isn't always fair. Did you know some people speed on the interstate and get
    away with it? Does that mean no traffic laws should be enforced?

Take care,

GardenWeb Staff

I am very frustrated with this response. I am a subscribing member and feel this is very belittling. I just asked a simple question. I was not sarcastic in any way, but I feel this response was.

• TJG911
    18 years ago

just some good advise, don't argue.

this site probably scans post subjects and if you use 'dumb question' that is what causes an automated email being sent to you. this would explain why your subject, while no more or less informative than some others, was flagged.

and really, it would be better to use a descriptive subject. i ignore threads with nebulous subjects, i just don't have the time to read stuff just to find out it's something i can't answer or comment on.

tom

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Lisa, you just never know what they'll pick up on and what they won't. I recall getting a warning about something that was absolutely silly here awhile back.

That comment about speeders on the interstate is very strange tho.

• worth1
    18 years ago

I got warned 3 times one right after another on the "C" man.
    I have no idea what I did I wish they would have told me.

Worth

• ceresone
    18 years ago

good thing you dont belong to freecycle around here. i was warned, and put on moderation, cause i said i wanted to find hens nests--instead of saying wanted hens nests.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    18 years ago

Love2weed, could it be just a spot check and you got caught? Like the speeding analogy mentioned in follow-ups above?

Recently a thread was jerked from the electronics board and the person just reposted it and it stayed up for a couple of weeks. I think they just spot check -- or -- someone, a user who wants to play hall monitor, is combing through threads and reporting them and then going off to bother someone else on some other forum.

• Zesame
    18 years ago

I am very new member. Utterly unfamiliar with site,
    read the instructions --Several times, as it happened,
    because I normally disable wretched "cookies."
    Site requests: Posting question WITH specifics, not
    the vague 'help.' --I thought that was wise instruction.
    Nearly all of us are Posting FOR "Help." A Forum
    with 30 posts of 'Help' variations, but no specifics:
    Not helpful/pretty boring, no?
    Without specifics in the question: it cannot be
    cached for the Search engine. Others may want
    same info you might have received, they won't
    ever see it in RESULTS with 'Dumb question'
    You were singled out and others were not, ya and?
    Why take it personally? Move on.

To original ?: I'm growing green onion, in small pot. When I need green: I snip some midway, and they grow back, for next time. Doing that for three years,
    if that helps.

• gonefishin
    18 years ago

You probably just drew the black bean, or the short straw.":^)

No, I am sure that they have certain words and phrases flagged that sorts the messages into something that they should look at and the rest probably do not get a close look unless someone has complained or it is something pretty controversial. I would bet that it was the dumb question phrase, there are just so many dumb questions, but the dumbest one of all is probably the one that is not asked.
    I have seen some threads disappear and saw no reason that seemed reasonable to me, wondered if they have some puritans amongst the hired help. Just my thoughts.
    Bill P.

• ruth_12
    17 years ago

Dont worry I hope you do not have bigger problems in your life than having your veggie posts deleted, next time just use a more specific description of the problem.