Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vgking

August 2005 Garden Journal

vgkg Z-7 Va
18 years ago

Hot enough fer ya ;o)

Things still cooking in the garden but thankfully the rain is ok although still below norm here.

Tomatoes are peeking now with 30 plants producing about 50-60 tomatoes daily, keeping VgQn on her toes canning up stuff.

Peppers doing well too.

Many things are done for the year but still got these going here :

Watermelons

Cantaloaupes

Honeydews

Corn #4

Corn #5

Late Cukes

Winter Squashes (2 varieties)

Pumpkins

Tomatoes - again

Peppers

Aug 20th will be planting the fall crops of broccoli, cabbages, kale, collards, carrots, kohrabi, and spinach in Sept for early Spring pickings.

This year the tomatoes look Great, out of 30+ plants only 3 look on the wane. Most are putting out a late crop despite the recent heat wave so hopefully will be picking tomatoes up to first frost (barring another hurricane that is).

Hows youse doing out there? vgkg

Comments (10)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

Great here

Tomatoes....never looked better
    Watermelons....never looked better...am getting nice large ones now. The Ro Jo Grande today was/is the sweetest melon of my long life.
    Cantaloupes...never looked better...from huge Pulsars, Athena, Jaipur, Sugar Queen [my favorite], and St. Nick
    Sweet corn ...never looked better... #3 [Ambrosia] is almost finished with Incredible [yellow] ready and 4 more to go ..all growing super.
    potatoes....smaller on average this year so far
    Green beans.... Festina is loaded but I don't care for the taste or texture of this one.
    Squash.....well, never looked better..loaded
    Apples...never had so many nice ones on the trees before
    Peaches...my two or three fruits look ok
    Fall broccoli and cauliflower are set out and growing
    Pumpkins are pumpkining

It's been hot a lot, but we have gotten rain fairly often and in just the right amounts.

• david52 Zone 6
    18 years ago

Kind of hitting the crucial weeks here, if it stays warm enough, and it doesn't hail, then things should be ok on peaches, apples, plums. Winter squash is doing very well, but needs time as the fruit is just now beginning to form, same for the melons. Tomatoes are mighty average, still not a red one to taste, and peppers are a joke, 25 plants and maybe 10 peppers. Chard picking up. Beets were wonderful. No corn 'cause of racoons.

• veilchen
    18 years ago

Wow August already. Got the letter from the school listing supplies needed. I hate back-to-school season because I feel like it's me that has to go back. Plus I like having my daughter home playing every day (and helping in the garden!)

Not a single tomato yet, but one is nearly ripe on a container-grown cluster type I had in the greenhouse.

Eggplants ok, 4 plants in bed + one in container. Had a nice "first flush" but they seem to be in a lull now, will be a few days for any new eggplant. Maybe I will grow more next year.

Peppers, however, are going gangbusters. Jalopenos, serranos, marconi, ancho, anaheim types etc. Least farthest along are the aji dulce (habanero type).

Cukes finally regularly producing. Squash of course is Aok.

First flush of bush beans pretty much over, have 2nd planting ready to pick today plus a 3rd to hold me over til fall.

Have several beds of carrots in different stages, including a fall bed.

Corn has silks and ears forming, but I am seriously worried about pollination. Have been hand-pollinating on occasion and hope when we husk the first ear that it is fully-formed.

Havested garlic yesterday, have drying outside and must remember to bring in today before it rains. Onions getting big, have been hand-watering between rain hoping for gigantic onions like last year.

Have to sow some more lettuce soon as this heat breaks. It's been a warm summer starting in July, up to 90+ many days.

We have a fog rolling in from the ocean this morning and I must say my garden looks pretty in the mist. Esp. all those muted colors from the daylilies.

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Oh my...is it mid August already? This has certainly been an interesting summer.

Until last week the only tomatoes I've had were sungolds, thank goodness for sungolds! But it's certainly not easy to make a BLT with cherry tomatoes.

This intense heat is starting to take it's toll. Even the bermuda grass looks like it's dying...I wish! I keep saying I'm going to water (not the BG!) but then "they" predict rain. Tomorrow morning I'll start watering some veggies and fruits. I do keep my blueberries irrigated along with all new plantings. We drink a lot of cranberry juice here so I poke a tiny hole at the bottom and use them for "drip" irrigation. The blues produced a few berries. It's so nice to be able to walk outside and pick fresh berries for breakfast. I have a single doyle blackberry plant that produced some flavorful berries as well.

I've only had a few bush beans thus far, but grateful for the few. Pole beans are just starting to fatten up. Some peppers are producing well and others aren't doing crap. I'll bet I've harvested 25 or more hot banana peppers from one plant. Anaheim has been a great producer as well.

The melons are starting to come in. We had the 1st ambrosia last week. Still waiting on Hales. I've had a nice harvest from diva cukes so far. They may be petering out as I type. They were looking a little wilty this morning.

We ate the 1st okra last week too. We nearly fought over those few.

I'm gonna pull my alpine strawberries this fall. They just aren't worth it. I think I've figured out how I can squeeze another row in my garden by reducing the size of a couple of paths. Now, what will I plant there? Hmmm...

Happy harvest!!

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

It's raining!!!!!!!!!!

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah Peggy, we got about 1.7" Sun/Mon here and more today. Today's rain was a pleasent surprise since I just put out some Broc & cabbage transpalnts.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I got all my Fall crops in now. Brocs, cabbages, collards, carrots, kohlrabi, and some white Japanese turnips. Will plant spinach in 2-3 weeks for an early spring harvest.
    Started picking my last late corn (Ambrosia) yesterday and it's very good yet smaller ears than main season of course.
    Out of ~35 tomato plants all are still producing except for the 6 Cherokee purples which seem to be dying from some disease (leaves drying up to brown). Hornworms have been numerous this year but hand picking and parasitic wasps have kept damage to minimum.

Still getting some cantloapes and watermelons too, rather later than normal this year.
    Winter squash and pumpkins looking good so far but many squash bugs out there multplying like crazy. Absolutely No powdery mildew this year, perhaps due to dry spells between rains? Even the summer squash escaped PM before being wiped out by the borers.

Have picked about 40 Asian pears from my 3 young trees and these are very sweet and juicy.
    Got about 12 little grape clusters too from the still young vines, even though the foliage was pretty torn up by JBs this season.
    Was actually a bit chilly this morning, fall is in the air as the old corn stalks rustle in the breeze...now awaiting possible rains from the latest tropical storm which looks to hit Fla and creep up the app mtns early next week. Could use some rain now to tuck in the fall crops

18 years ago

Fall broccoli and cauliflower growing very nicely....lettuce sowed.

Some cantaloupes and some watermelons still producing....a dream melon year Some watermelons are regrowing fresh vines.

Late tomatoes sizing up.

Sweet potatoes looking good.

Gourds and squash are rampant.

Apples are sizing up.....seem later this year maybe.

Fall Gold raspberries very nice now.

• cochiseaz8
    18 years ago

I have put up at least 4 gallons of roasted marzanos , I have four gallons of cornichon, and 3 gal. of kosher dills. I was grateful the the weather got to hot for the tomes to set fruit,(as I was to busy putting up the first flush),, second flush is coming on now,, MY OKRA STILL SUCKS!!!! what am I doing wrong??,,, The herbs are all going to oil (native first press olive oil),, Am quit impressed with the Italian lovage,,, celery on steroids. Greek oregano, tarrogon, and majoram... They do well in my pitiful so. Az. soil,,, but the heat... oh, my god.. in 26 years I 've never experienced heat like this... It's brutal

18 years ago

Raining here now....Katrina.
    We needed some rain to finish some things up.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor