Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vgking

November 2005 Garden Journal

vgkg Z-7 Va
18 years ago

Hi again Folks!

A beautiful Indian Summer here now. Some brief frosts in late Oct have sweetened up the collards and now most of the broccoli main heads have been harvested and frozen. Cabbages are doing quite well and the turnips are plump. Carrots are just about ready to pick too. The kohlrabi are now near the soup making stage.

The very late spinach is looking good and ready to bed down for a early spring harvest. Most of the pansies are planted as well as many various new bulbs for a spring show. Strawberries have been divided and thinned for the most part. Now just waiting for old man winter to strike a first blow...and I don't mind waiting ;o)...

Comments (5)

• veilchen
    18 years ago

We've had a nice fall, warmer than avg., except it rained most of Oct. I have some beautiful carrots in the ground that I'll pick before the ground freezes & store in our (now damp) root cellar. Still picking lettuce. Also have some spinach I'll winter over.

Leeks still in the ground. Too bad, because I decided I don't like leeks. Nobody else in this house does either. Don't know what I'll do with them.

All empty beds got an inch or two of compost and a thick layer of shredded leaves, tucked in for winter.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

Broccoli, cauliflower, pok choy, and lettuce doing very well here. I did eat the last piece of watermelon the other day.

I don't cover beds heavily as I want them to warm up and dry out early.

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

We just had our 1st frost on Friday. That's phenomenal here in zone 6b. It was a great year for my garden in spite of a lack of rain.

Worked all last week and over the weekend cleaning up the garden. Emptied the compost bins. Also added another 26x13' of gardening space. Finally I'll be able to grow corn. The garden got fenced and chicken wire added...no more bunnies IN THE GARDEN!!

I have kale, brocolli, cabbage, spinach and a few beets. The cabbage is about ready to harvest and the kale is looking great. My lettuce bolted early on.

Now I need to scout the neighborhood in search of OPBL's. Then I'll be ready for winter.

• veilchen
    18 years ago

Hi there Peggy! Our frost was also very late here, not til the last week of Oct. At least 3 weeks late. It was nice, but not much was growing despite no killing frost due to the decreased day length and colder temps. So although my tomato plants were alive, the green ones weren't hardly even turning ripe. The eggplant lived but hadn't produced a single fruit since Sept. The zuchinni was alive but not producing much, esp. due to lack of bees, who were already making plans for hibernation. I did leave my peppers and chiles on the plants, and they did seem to turn more red every day.

Congratulations on your new corn space!

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Thanks Veilchen,

I can't wait to grow corn. Until it turned considerably cold and windy, I would just stand in the new space and envision all that corn and maybe some melons.

Snow is in the forecast for the next 3 days. It doesn't usually snow around here before late December or January.

Funny story. Dh and I went into town the other day and I asked if he'd drive thru this older established neighborhood to see if we couldn't snag some leaves. Lo and behold we drove past a house where a couple was out bagging maple leaves. We stopped and I asked if I could have them. They glanced at each other as if to say..."what'd she say?" I spoke up and said I wanted them for my garden. A big smile came over their faces and as they explained how that would save them a trip across town to get rid of them. I got 12 large bags in all but had to make 2 trips.

I need a bigger truck:)