Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vgking

Fall Garden Update

vgkg Z-7 Va
17 years ago

It's been a while. After 5 years of monthly garden updates I guess it got a bit repetitive so perhaps quarterly updates will do.

Fall Crops are at their peak now, maybe a bit past but here's what's going on here in central Va : All of these were planted during the last week in August.

Broccoli (transplants): All the main "heads" are harvested now and in deep freeze for winter eating, picking the side shoots until a hard freeze hits (lowest here so far = 26F)

Cabbages (transplants): Have picked and cooked 3 heads so far, 5 still remain outside and look good and big, should keep well out there until needed or hard freeze forces picking.

Carrots (seeded): these are doing very well with weekly picking now. Loads still in the ground as I planted 5 varieties this year to see which are the better ones for future fall planting.

Turnips (seeded): Have picked and cooked up about 1/4 of these, the remaining 3/4s will be picked as needed. (White tops).

Collards & Kale (seeded): Both are excellent, picking as needed. These seems to grow faster than can be eaten.

Kohlrabi (seeded): Have yet to harvest any but several are ready for soups when needed. These are the 60 day varieties (2).

Natually the fall crops aren't as exciting as summer crops of corn, tomatoes, melons, etc but we'll take what we can grow at this time of year. Everything should keep producing up until a few nites in the lower 20's/ upper teens hit here. The carrots are always the last to go, usually by mid Jan. Several frosts have hit but the plants have recovered nicely although the turnip tops look a bit ragged now (I may pick all the turnips soon and store them so that they won't become too strong or split. The 2 nites that hit 26F I did cover the cabbages and broccoli with old sheets. All summer flowers are dead, the only color out there are the pansies now and some tree/bush foliage still hanging on.

Anyone else have fall crops going?

Comments (7)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    17 years ago

I have picked the last of the cauliflower and side shoots on the broccoli. It was a very good crop.
    There is some Nevada lettuce going yet. Also I dug into some volunteer potatoes...mostly Red Pontiacs...while making another bed for watermelons [4].
    Otherwise, things are laid to rest.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Wayne, it's good to know that someone else grows fall crops....or at least reads this side of the forum ;o).
    Yesterday I picked the last of the broccoli side shoots too and most cabbages to store in the fridge. I left one cabbage out to see how long it'll last and if it may get bitter or not. VgQn has detected a bit o' bitteness in the last cabbage she cooked but I didn't, but that particular plant looked "old" while the rest don't (others still bright green). About 2 weeks prior to planting I applied some wood ash to the cabbage row that's still bright green and those were bigger and healthier looking than the row without the ash.

Today I will pick the remaining turnips because it supposed to drop down to near 20F tonite and those may freeze and rot. The collards and kale are on their own but I will pick bag fulls once I see teens on the way. The carrots are doing well and they too will be on their own for while yet. Kohlrabi looks good so will leave be also but I may pick the biggest ones to store away.
    Time to relax and take seed inventory....may have to try cauliflower next fall but it's hard to find transplants around here for some reason.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    17 years ago

vgkg,
    I raise my own cauliflower and broccoli transplants...I like Snow Crown for early ones and a later one for, well, later ones.
    I like Triathlon, Goliath, Arcadia, and perhaps Marathon broccoli....can't buy those in transplants.
    I start some seeds on my backyard picnic table on about June 14th [got to around here]....no matter what I read others doing.
    My melons, sweetpotatoes, peppers and corn were hard hit by hail on June 28. The corn and sweetpotatoes recovered quicly and completely. The peppers never recovered well. The melons were a mixed bag. The cantaloupes did great....Sugar Queens have some crenshaw flavor ....and which ever crenshaw that made two large ones was off the chart for flavor.
    The watermelons were hurt badly at a time of fruit set/developing and many did not do as well as I like. Melons have a main cycle and unless you have that super warm September like 2005, you miss out a lot if the plants don't do as well when they are young and vigorous. The corollary is corn that has only one cycle and then dies down.
    Still I picked some good watermelons, but ended up with more seconds and thirds this year.
    THe Raspas were good as were some [just some] of the Sangrias. Sometimes this one wants to set on a huge family and that leaves you with a lot of seconds if you don't thin the fruits promply. AU Sweet Scarlet was good as was Gold Strike and Orangeglo. I don't know about RoJo Grande this year as I did not mark that one and it looks so much like Sangria.

God Bless,
    Wayne

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So sorry for your hail storm losses there Wayne! I think that's my biggest fear other than an unexpected late frost or a dear strike at 2:00am. I have been blessed so far as to not suffer any of the above.
    I'll be repeating myself but those Raspas you recommended are the best. I also grew Sangria (seed from the local store) but got 1/vine, good ones though. The Raspas did 2.5 /vine and got great raves from family, friends, and neighbors. I did have a yellow doll germination failure last spring (indoors) but these seeds were 4 years old. I missed those. Both Raspa and YD will be 80% of my crop next summer.

As for starting brocs & cauliflowers, that will have to wait until I retire in 2 years. No time to deal with summer transplants now. The local broc transplants are the usual packman and early dividend but on occasion Goliath shows up too, as well as green comet. I like Broc as both a fall & spring plant as they keep the freezer full just about all year round. I will keep your variety lists handy for when I retire, so much I wanna do once retired ya know.
    God Bless you too Wayne, I'm sure that you are as it's easy to tell that you're one special individual. vgkg

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well my Fall garden has turned into a Winter garden now. Odd as it may sound I'm still picking some broccoli side shoots, kohlrabi, turnips, and carrots -(these I expected). Daffodils were popping up at Xmas and Dec was the warmest on record here. The fruit trees are showing some buds now so we better get back to a real winter or else they'll be blooming in Feb. I hear that some cherry blossoms are now in bloom in DC?? Good for the heating bill but sheeeeze, might order some orange trees soon at this rate...

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Picked more broccoli last evening but that is probably the last time. Carrots, & kholrabi are still going as are the collards and kale (which I forget to mention earlier). Temps going down into lower 20s tonite so things returning to normal. Early Dec was the latest I've ever picked broccoli so I got an extra 5 weeks out of it this time around. Usually there's nothing but carrots left at this time.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    17 years ago

RIP Fall Garden, youse was good to me!
    Picked the last of the carrots yesterday as the recent cold wave killed the remaining kale, collards, etc. The tops of the carrots took a beating but all-in-all they are in good shape. I left a few out there to bloom in the spring and attract some beneficial insects. The fall planted spinach is looking good despite the cold wave, hopefully that cold (worst in years here) killed many over wintering pests.
    Next step - fruit tree dormant oil spraying & indoor seed sowing by late March.