Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding manure

Posted by bjorn773 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 5, 08 at 13:39

Hello, I am new to the forum and this is my first posting. I have a question regarding the addition of manure to the vegetable garden. Last fall, we added about 5 cans containing about 30 gallons each of horse manure to our 16x24 foot garden. I also added ground leaves from the yard. This spring I tilled the soil. This year's yield was incredible compared to past years. My question is whether to add more manure and how much. My wife and I are debating about how many of the nutrients are still present in the soil. On one hand the manure did wonders for the soil. On the other we don't want to burn next years veggies by over-fertilizing. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding manure

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 6, 08 at 8:48

The nitrogen from last years addition may be depleted by now so adding in more each fall shouldn't be a problem. It is good to do it way ahead of planting esp if the manure is fresh. If you see happy earthworms then you're on the right track. Plus the added leaves will use the nitrogen to break down into better conditioned organic material. That 16'x24' plot measures out to a little less than 1 gallon of manure per sq ft, so look at the soil before adding that much again as you are right about not over do-doing it ;o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here