Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cityboygonecountry

I think this lady deserves some support

cityboygonecountry
17 years ago

Check this out. It's a promo for a show about self-sufficient living. It's rough (as the title indicates) but with a good crew I'm sure they could make it really good.

Garden Girl Rough Promo

Comments (21)

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

excellent! I hope this woman gets a regular show on TV. I would definitely watch it.

• nandmsmom
    17 years ago

I want more shows like this! I will definitely watch.

Heather

• filmshack
    17 years ago

Thank you for the support Cityboy. Please check it out folks and send it on to others, and ask them to do the same. Patti

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-882082844236943883&q=Filmshack&hl=en

• carriein
    17 years ago

A very impressive and inspiring video clip.

How on earth does she/you get so much done?

• filmshack
    17 years ago

Maybe I should be CityGirl? Anyway, I have it designed that it takes about twenty minutes a day. So it really isn't hard, but honestly I have so much fun doing it, I just want to share it around. Please help out by sending my link out to as many people as you can, I figure that grassroots is the way to get the attention of the Network execs, and I just want to mainstream the message. So please leave comments on the google site and help me get this out there.

Patti(Garden Girl)

• albertar
    17 years ago

Patti
    Loved the video, but where is your website?
    Alberta

• robin_maine
    17 years ago

I've met some people involved in television through my work in publishing. I'll pass the link along. She's fantastic!

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

I am very interested and would love to see this show if/when it comes out, If you haven't got a good website that might be the place to start. I was especially impressed by the pond, the only thing left for you is to get a small patch going for firewood it looks like.

• redchrysanthemum
    17 years ago

Interesting show. I'm not sure any urban areas are allowed to raise chickens anymore, but I absolutely love the rabbit hutch idea. It has great potential. Good luck!

• vieja_gw
    17 years ago

Here in the heart of Albuquerque, NM I've raised hens & it is allowed & not counted towards the legal four pets (dogs, cats) one is allowed in the City; I hear a rooster crowing many mornings in the neighborhood too though I just wanted fresh eggs (did get some fertile eggs x a friend once & hatched them so the neighborhood kids could watch) so only kept hens. Hearing those contented hens as they scratched & pecked & let me know they had just laid an egg ... so soothing! One kept getting 'broody' & refused to leave the nest & her sterile eggs so each year we had to buy a chick & tuck it under her at night & next morning she was the proudest mama in the flock showing off her baby!

• filmshack
    17 years ago

Well the chickens are definately illegal. I raise only hens and have "bribed" all my neighbors with produce and poulty products. I feel secure, personally it is one of my inalienable rights to feed my family. So the birds stay!

City Boy, I got banned from HGTV's message boards. Can't even show those folks a good show! Bummer.

Thank you all for the support.

Patti

• cityboygonecountry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HGTV wouldn't know a good show if it bit them in the azz. The only one they have is Gardening Buy The Yard with Paul James. If they had any sense of what their viewers want to see, they would sign a contract with you instead of banning you.

I posted a link to your video on my MySpace blog. Hardly anyone ever looks there though, lol. But I do what I can because I really do think your show can be great.

• filmshack
    17 years ago

Thanks City Boy, means a lot to hear you say that. I do apreciate your efforts. Start a fight for me over at HGTV LOL, since I'm banned I can't post anymore.

Thanks again,

Patti

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

I've never even so much as seen a segment on a garden on HGTV, just homes. I also Doubt anyone with any power at HGTV has anything to do with the forum, They are probably just up to keep visitors busy and feeling envolved while totally saturated with the HGTV adds. However, I don't see any reason why you can't make a gmail or hotmail addy and reregister.

Back home in Anchorage AK (where I an right now) "farm animals" within the city proper are illegal, the city council spent tens of thousands of dollars researching and weeks debating about how best to remove our rights. Why did they do this? You may ask, well the reason was because in a citys of nearly 300,000 with ~2000 violent crimes and ~11000 property crimes a year the police heard 10 complaints over 2002-2003. I'm glad to hear that your neighbors are understanding Patti!

• redchrysanthemum
    17 years ago

Yeah the HGTV garden scenes are mostly about adding hardscaping to make it seem more like the inside of houses. Adding concrete, lots of outdoor kitchens, heaters and other things so we can "forget?" we are outside.

I've dragged 3 people into our home office to make them watch the video. And, as a good preview should, it left us wanting more. We have lots of questions:
    1. Was that goat hair you were spinning?
    2. Do you eat the 300 pounds of sunfish?
    3. What's with the show chickens?
    We'll start with those.
    We're in a South suburb of Chicago and are trying to be more self-sustaining on many levels. Can anyone suggest any good websites with more instructions for projects like you were describing?

• rosebush
    17 years ago

AWESOME!!! I'm passing this on to everyone.

• filmshack
    17 years ago

Brendan- Even Alaska! It is truly shocking and amazing that it is illegal to try to live sustainably in Alaska. Wow. In terms of HGTV, whatever. Their programing is becomeing completely out of touch. Maybe some of you guys can post my link for me. Shameless self promotion isn't as good as other people shamelessly promoting me(LOL). Thanks for the support.

Red- Your right about HGTV as well. Thats why I'm trying to grass roots this message. It's easy to ignore on person, but people listen to numbers. So push my link around to everyone you know, it actually helps and gives me a leg to stand on when I meet with Network execs. On to your questions:
    I was spinning my own blend of Angora(bunny)and Pygora(Mini angora goat)with a small amount of Alpaca some nice folks in Upstate new york sent me. The goats and the rabbits are from my herd.
    My family does it the fish. We have two smaller ponds that are for the fry(babies) and teenagers, they grow out in the big pond as seen in the video.
    You're the first person to ask me about the show chickens! Because I live in the city I wanted birds that didn't scream chicken. I wanted them to match(Grey and Black) and be fluffy like the rest of my livestock. They make a great conversation starter and are quite entertaining.

I'm making a companion book for the tv show. Check out my new peeps at www.peakoil.com as well. They have some great stuff as well.

But please post my link around folks I really need help if I'm gonna get this seen!

Thanks again,

Patti
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-882082844236943883&q=filmshack&hl=en

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

I have posted your link around a bit, I fear this is the only place I spend time (or even have the ability to post) where gardening comes to play, especially homesteding. I find myself very curious about your setup though; What zone are you in (USDA) and how is humidity? That or you could just tell us what area of the country you are in, but many people do not wish to share that kind of info. Why sunfish? What do you do for animal feed?

Personally I think you should consider adding muscovy ducks to your flock, They are colorful and much quieter than even the quietest breeds of chicken. Plus they don't need water like the mallard derivatives and they absolutely destroy any fly or biting insect populations (something I doubt your very much visually impaired but good looking chickens are very good at).

Alright, I'm off to look at Peakoil.com

• cityboygonecountry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They have you featured right on the front page over at Peakoil.com, that's pretty cool. All the feedback is positive too. I haven't seen anyone, anywhere, yet who doesn't like your video.

Look out Martha Stewart... here comes the Garden Girl. lmao

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Wish I could watch video's but it is near impossible on dial-up :(

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

What ever happened with this?

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms