Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Zone 5 Seed Starting

Posted by hoagc 5 NW Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 0:12

Hey guys! This is only my second year gardening, and my first year starting seeds indoors. I just wanted to know if anybody knows when I should start some of my seeds for this year. I have checked the average last frost date info, but when it comes down to it, it's just info. Nothing beats real-world experience...which you guys/gals have aplenty haha. I am want to grow some bhut jolokias, as well as some other hot peppers, some tomatoes, zucchinis, cukes, and bush beans. I don't want to start anything too early, because I only have one 4 foot light set-up. I just want it to be big enough to go out when it needs to go out. I am in Zone 5 Ohio.

Any suggestions?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Zone 5 Seed Starting

Well, only tomatoes and peppers need to be started inside. Everything else can go directly in the garden after last frost date--probably very late May/early June where you are. Peppers and tomatoes should be started about 8 weeks before you plan to set them out.


 o
RE: Zone 5 Seed Starting

You probably should have started your Bhuts already. They take about 150-180 days to develop ripe pods. I started mine last season on December 26 and they did great. The year before, I didn't sow them until the end of January and they were starting to get pods when the killing frost hit.

I'm in Cincy so maybe a week ahead of you and I'll start my tomatoes around the Ides of March.

Mike


 o
RE: Zone 5 Seed Starting

hoagc, if your interested in starting seeds, you may want to take a look at the Winter Sowing Forum. I have some seeds out right now and will see how this works out. I think that it may work for most seeds but maybe not the bhuts that have such a long germination period. It's just an interesting concept.

Luke


 o
RE: Zone 5 Seed Starting

It appears that most of all northwest Ohio is in zone 5b - which is the zone I am in for Central Illinois.

In 2009, it seemed our last frost date was a few weeks before the most accepted last frost date of around May 11th.

Note that cool weather crops can typically survive a light frost - but not a hard freeze. These peas, lettuce, and cabbage family members. So, these can be planted outside a few weeks before.

Last frost dates are not exact, either. For example, statistically speaking, If you plant out on May 11th, there is only a 10% chance of frost after this date. However, if you plant out April 4th, there is a 90% chance of frost after this date. Then, April 23rd is the middle point with a 50% chance of frost after this date.

You may go to this website that will detail climate information. This page is specifically for my town, but you can navigate to find yours and a wealth of information.

Climate Information

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog


 o
RE: Zone 5 Seed Starting

hoagc,

I am in zone 4b-5 in Iowa, and here is the basic chart I created to time the start of my seeds. I usually plan to plant my plants on the second or third weekend of May depending upon the current year's climate. I repot the plants at end of April and then start hardening them off on the end of the first week of May.

Approximate Seed Starting Dates:

  • March 7th - 8+ weeks - Peppers, Eggplant, Broccolli, Cabbage, Thyme
  • March 21st - 6-8 weeks - Tomatoes, Basil, Leek, Swiss Chard, Brussel Sprouts, Tomatillos
  • April 14th - 4 weeks - Cucumbers, Squash, Melons, Okra

Dean


 o
RE: Zone 5 Seed Starting

I am in northern Ohio and I usually expect to plant my warm weather crops outside around Memorial Day which include all the things which you plan to grow, I do not know about the bhut have not grown that before myself. A lot depends on the year of coarse, you will have to watch the temps and weather to make sure it is safe to plant. I usually count back from Memorial Day and add a week just in case it is a warm year and I can start planting outside a week earlier, and start depending on what the package says. Last year I started some of my hot peppers on March 8th and started Tomatoes and the rest of my peppers on March 22th. If you would like you can start the zucchini and cucumbers about three weeks before planting out, but I prefer to just start them outside myself (I grow too many to start inside). You can always experiment with that if you have extra seeds. The beans I would just plant directly outside. I have heard of some people who start them inside but never really considered doing it myself. Good luck, and don't forget to have fun.


 o
RE: Zone 5 Seed Starting

  • Posted by hoagc 5 NW Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 15:27

If you guys think that the beans, zucchini, and cukes will do just fine if I start them outside, then I might just do that since space under my light is limited. Sounds like I need to get the Bhuts, Habs, and Fatalis started ASAP haha. The tomatoes can wait for a few more weeks.

Thanks for the help! Anybody that's grown the hotter peppers...how many times will I need to transplant them if I start them now?


 o
RE: Zone 5 Seed Starting

I'm in zone 5 as well and so ready to plant something. I plan to start everything in shifts this time around, with an exception for the tomatoes, cukes, melons, peppers and herbs.

I'll most likely start 3 week of Feb indoors. I have a nice setup going.


 o
RE: Zone 5 Seed Starting

I transplant tomato and pepper seedlings a few days after they get their first true leaves. The containers are 3" square but 3.5" deep so I try to have the seedlings close to 3" minimum. That's the only potting I do until they go into the garden or permanent home.

Mike


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here