Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You know you have cabin fever when...

Posted by nugrdnnut N-C WA 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 1:05

... the neighbors are over and you ask if they want to see the seeds on your toilet paper, BEFORE you tell them what seed tape is. :-0

Please share your signs of cabin fever?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You know you have cabin fever when...

Our oil burner died last night at midnight and it's -4degrees out and 55 inside, waiting for repair man. Yeah, we're stuck in this cabin!

o

It's so cold out you can't use the outhouse. This is also a good signal that it's time to go south...

o

...you walk around the house all morning in your long underwear not realizing you forgot to put your pants on.

And not really caring once you realize it.

Me. This morning.

I really need to make stronger coffee. And put some pants on.

o

"...you walk around the house all morning in your long underwear not realizing you forgot to put your pants on."

I would be frozen solid sleeping, or just walking around in merely underwear! Forget about the coffee, how didn't the cold wake ya? Step outside... Lol

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 13:37

Cabin fever may be bad, and this morning I went cross country skiing in balmy 23F weather. But I will probably get out again wednesday (it is going to be a snow day Monday), except for shoveling Monday. It will be -13F Tuesday morning.

o

It's 70* and you can't plant anything cause it's still freezing overnight. Stupid drought! Nancy

o

Your water lines freeze and so you have no running water and you have to use drinking water to keep the indoor basil plant alive.

And . . . your water repair guy says if it's a break in the pipes, he wont be able to dig them up until spring, and so you consider going into hibernation along with the garlic.

o

"... the neighbors are over and you ask if they want to see the seeds on your toilet paper, BEFORE you tell them what seed tape is. :-0 "

I got a good laugh out of that one!

o

You stare at your garden - knowing you should be out there adding leaves, etc. to the soil but it's just too cold.

Yet, you continue staring out the window...so very unproductive...sigh.

o

I haven't been able to get my leaves mulched and on the garden either LKZZ, too cold and too wet.

Thursday I found some small, almost mummified, red potatoes sprouting in the cabinet that i forgot about. I went out to the shed and potted them up in a 2 gallon container, knowing that they won't make it. But I need something growing!

I'm a little excited though, they have came up already and are starting to put on leaves! If I can keep them alive for about 3 months I'll try transplanting them.

I'm ready for spring!

o

So far, it looks like we'll have a weird winter to go with our weird summer.

I have a few TPS going in my window which should make tubers large enough to plant in the potato patch this spring, whenever it shows up.

I'm soooo longing to see the bright daffodils and dandelions blooming their heads off.

o

I once talked to a man from Maine who said that the winters were so bad that he would start an argument with his wife to force himself to go outside into the cold and cool off. He told me that when he retired the was going to move south in is RV with a snow shovel tied to the front grill. The first place where someone asked him what was that thing on the front of his RV, he was going to settle down for his retirement.

o

Great story about the Mainer!

o

Its pretty cold down south too! Not as bad as you guys have it but under 20 here in Texas.

I'm Seed-shopping right now and my head is spinning trying to pick the right varieties for my area and trying to find a few hand-me-down heirlooms too.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 18:56

If you have cabin fever, stepping out my door right now would cure you instantly. It is almost too cold to post.

o

I was in Belfast, ME during the last cold-blast, and yes, I could not wait to leave...

o

20 degrees here last night! I miss living in central Florida. it is only 31 now. On Saturday it will be 79. Wacky weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here