Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Honey Bear Acorn Squash -- Your Experience?

anney
15 years ago

It's relatively new, and I'm planning to purchase the seeds from Johnny's, link below. A question about this new-to-me vegetable.

Has anyone grown it, and can you tell me the best spacing for the plants? Do they spread as much as summer bush squash like zucchini or yellow squash?

The literature mentions 3-4 squash per bush. Is this about the average?

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Bear Acorn Squash

Comments (10)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Except for maybe some folks getting some for trials, I doubt that many have grown it. It is hitting the market by storm this tear tho, since it is the 2009 AAS winner. It is a semi-bush cultivar, with about a 5 ft spread. Larger than most summer squash, but comparable to some of the "heirloom" zucchinis. Its major impact is the "Personal" size about one pound. I do grow bush acorns (Bush Table Queen) and 3-5 per plant is good.

• anney
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FarmerD

Thanks so much. I'll have to do some plant shifting in my plans to accommodate a five-foot spread of these squash. I'd planned on planting six, so that's going to take a bit of room.

I hope they're worth it!

• denninmi
    15 years ago

I ordered my seed for this new squash already. It should be a good variety, Johnny's is known for some pretty major and successful introductions.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Anney I do leave 7 feet side to side on the row. In the row , however, I use the hill method. Hills 3-4 ft apart with two plants to the hill. they do well this way. Have to use the wide row to have room to harvest them. Not as critical as with zucchini, because you can wait until mature and don't have to worry about damaging the vines. If you like acorns, you should be pleased with them. Little small for me. Table queen is just the right size for me to split, fill with butter,sliced apples and brown sugar and bake.

• tcstoehr
    15 years ago

I looked at these in both Johnny's and Territorial's seed catalogs. The fruits seemed way smaller so I didn't bother with them.

• anney
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tcstoehr

That's why I love Crenshaws instead of cantaloupes, or one of the reasons. They are so good that we pig out on them, and one Crenshaw's a lot bigger than a c.

This will be my first attempt at growing acorns, so the small size is good to start with. The semi-bush habit is also attractive to me. I just can't keep a huge space weeded or covered while anything is growing! I had OrangeGlo watermelon vines 20 feet long running in all directions last summer, rooting at the nodes all over the place, so I couldn't rearrange them into a smaller area. Eventually the weeds hid the vines and fruit as well. I'm hoping these will be tidier.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Bush acorns in standard size include Bush Table Queen and Tay-Belle

• Kostar
    12 years ago

I am trying Honey Bear for the first time this year. I only have 1 plant. I currently have 4 fruits - I pulled one with worms in it, the other 3 look ok so far. My question is, how do I know when they are ready to be harvested?

Thanks
    Kostar

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Is this squash any good? We planted Table Queen Bush Acorns this year and we got early, small, not sweet but a delicious nutty flavor that we really enjoyed. We wanted to plant the same thing next year but Johnny's doesn't have it. I do see they have this bush squash. Does it have a similar nutty flavor? PM resistance is good as PM eventually killed all my acorns.

They have two other "semi-bush" varieties.... not sure what "semi-bush" is but we need these to be bush to fit into the space allocated.

What about Table Princess they have at Pinetree... what's the difference to Table Queen?

I think I am going to need to order from Pinetree.... Johnnys has some awesome varieties but too expensive to buy everything there.

This post was edited by Peter1142 on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 11:24

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

I grew the Honey Bear, and we didn't like it. I mean it wasn't terrible by any stretch but completely inferior to Table Queen - no nutty flavor, sweet but bland, weak production, and contrary to as billed it was ravaged by PM. I will grow Table Queen again next year.