Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broccoli... direct seeding... when & how??

Posted by pastor_steve Ind. 5 (NE) (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 8, 09 at 8:27

My "better half" has specifically requested broccoli in this spring's garden. My seed starting set up is already maxed out with the tomatoes, peppers and eggplants that will be going into the flats in a few weeks...

Can I successfully direct sow broccoli in the garden?

If so, what time range and soil temp are the best targets?

Any advice on soil prep, row spacing, etc. would also be appreciated.

If direct seeding is out, I guess I'd better get to work on more lights and supplies...

Thanks! Blessings...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broccoli... direct seeding... when & how??

Direct seeding is possible but I would not reccomend it. Another uption is the cold frame. I start all my brassicas this way. They don't need a lot of heat. Yhis one is home made with framing timbers and a glass pane froma storm door. Starts roughly a hundred plants.
cold frame

o

check out the winter sowing forum on GW. It may be your answer instead of trying to direct sow broccli. Enjoy!!

Alberta

o
Broccoli soil temperatures etc.

Info from THE KITCHEN GARDEN GROWERS' GUIDE (Amazon)

Broccoli:
Germination soil temperature: 50-85F, optimum 77F
Days to germination: 7-10
Sow indoors: 6-8 weeks before last frost
Soil pH: 6.0-6.8
Growing soil temperature: 65-75F
Spacing of plants: 14-18 inches in all directions
Soil prepartation: Broccoli prefers humus rich, moist well-drained soil. Early season crops do best in sandy loam, loam or silt loam. Change planting location annually to avoid soil nitrogen depletion. Add compost to soil before planting. Apply two light application of blood and bone meal, or liquid fertilizer during the growing season.

Here is a link that might be useful: HarvestToTable.com

o

I live in South Florida. Set the broccoli plants in pots and then just threw some on the beds. The ones on the beds gave better results. (Just my experience). Currently they are about 8" tall and I have much more than I expected

o

Steve,
Here in central In. I sow seeds in plastic pots about the 22nd of March and plan to transplant them out on the 15th of April...weather permitting. the worst thing for broccoli is to leave them in pots too long or if direct seeded , to not thin them early enough.

They can be direct seeded about the 17th of April. A strip of clear plastic over the soil until the seeds first start to coming up will help greatly and it also keeps cold rains off. The plastic is optional and MUST be removed as soon as any seeds come up.

Broccoli needs about 24 inches or so between plants. Several plants grown in a group is good as the plants will shade the soil better.

o

• Posted by pam225 6 - Eastern PA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 11:07

So I have a question for the experts. My last frost is mid-April (Wilmington, DE is April 10, Williamsport, PA is April 30)...so I'm figuring Havertown is mid-April since we're about 15 miles out of Wilmington...

ANYHOW...I want to start my broccoli indoors and then transplant outside. My question is....can I transplant earlier than my last frost date IF I use a coldframe over it? I have panes of glass that I could essentially put over my raised beds to make a makeshift coldframe.

Thoughts? I'd like to get them in the ground mid-end of March to get a 2-4 week jump on the grow season.

Thanks in advance,

Pam
Havertown, PA

o

Last average frost daye here is April 15. I seeds February 1 and start transplanting around the spring equinox. Seems to work best for me. Although hardened broccoli and cauliflower will tolerate temps in the mid twenties, They tend to button if thier growth cycle is interupted
Early Dividend

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here