Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaddie_gw

Carpet Gardening??

kaddie
13 years ago

Hi, I came across a book called, The Carpet Garden, I've only just began to read it but they claim that by using indoor/outdoor carpet as a mulch in the garden dramatically reduces the weeds, pests and the need to water as often.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this, may have used this method? It sounds too good to be true and well we know how that saying goes!

Wouldn't the carpet it self have chemicals that you wouldn't want around your growing vegetables? I guess that's my biggest concern.

I would really love to hear from anyone that uses or tried this method.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• spogarden
    13 years ago

I have thrown an old piece of carpet or two out where I needed some weed control. In my raspberry's where I don't till, I put some in the path between the rows. It isn't a real pretty way of doing it but it works well. There wasn't any plastic in it, all natural fibers. Eventually it breaks down. I figured that was better than throwing it in the garbage.

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

I tried it, did not like it. I like my mulch to break down and return to the soil. Maybe a warmer dryer climate than mine would work?

Curt

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

Curt ... interesting comment about 'warmer/dryer climate'. Here in my semi-arid climate, I have used carpet scraps [my sons are in construction]in my pathways for years. I used to have a devil grass/bermuda problem in my pathways. After years of carpet/cardboard paving, problem solved.

Now I use carpet scraps as cover on my in-ground worm pits and the worms LOVE those carpets! Helps to retain moisture in the worm 'bed'.

Ooops ... just re-read the OP ... you were asking about the indoor/outdoor carpet material....seems like very "man made" chemical soup type of stuff .... guess I'd pass on that. The carpet I use is indoor material ... often wool...

• kaddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, that's what I was thinking, 'the man made material'. Anyway the indoor carpeting is an interesting idea. If the carpeting would help to control even some of the weeds it would be worth it.

Thanks for your replies!

• jekyll
    13 years ago

I've used old woollen (i.e. biodegradable natural fibre) carpet in the garden. It's an excellent mulch. It takes some time to break down and not a lot grows through it easily.

I'd use more if I had more old carpet to use.

It's best as part of a layered mulch, with compost etc under the carpet and something like pea straw over it. You don't really want the look and smell of rotting carpet as a garden feature...

• lizzah47
    8 years ago

Hi, this idea about outdoor carpet came to me last night...randomly? I think there is unnatural substances in these materials, so, I will be putting down garden paper first, and then the outdoor carpet, then weighted down with gravel on the backside and garden stones in the front. I am so tired of weeds. I will be just placing in larger areas that a bombarded with weeds. I hope to find a dark color in browns or greys. Hope all will be ok. If I see any changes, I will remove pieces and just go back to mulch or bark. ALSO, there are chemicals in bark and mulch as well....otherwise, how would they get it to color

• nancyjane_gardener
    8 years ago

We've been using carpet as a weed block for years. I don't use it IN the vege garden, cause I really don't know what's in it, but I do use it for paths and the yard (covered with wood chips) It holds the weeds back for a couple of years, then it's tolerable for a couple more years (weed roots can't get too deep and are easy to pull)

In the vege garden cardboard is my friend! Nancy

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

I bought a house where the previous occupant had used carpet for mulch. E-E-E-W-W-W!!!! It was mildewy (and I am quite allergic to molds including mildew) and so DH had to remove all the wet, mildewy carpet pieces and take them to the dump. Although we have been in this spot for 18 years, I am still finding carpet fibers in the garden. I would definitely NOT recommend using carpet for mulch.

I use corrugated cardboard, wet, and then about 4"-6" of wood shavings on top. I replace as needed, usually topping it off for one or two years and then by the next year it needs replacing. But, it breaks down naturally and enriches the soil over time, and does a good job of keeping the weeds at bay without adding nylon fibers to my garden. One of my neighbors uses waste wool from sheep shearing that is unsalable. She layers it on, and though not beautiful, it does a good job of keep moisture in, feeding the worms over time, and keeping the weeds to a minimum. It also feels lovely on bare toes and lasts at least 3 years.

• lizzah47
    8 years ago

Know all the methods of weed control. I also have my own liquid weed killer....that works on weeds only. WEED MAN is dead to me. .... Will be using landscape paper and outdoor carpet in a small area, just to see how it goes. My dad has outdoor carpet on the deck for years, never became moldy...just became thin with wear and tear. I think landscape paper will change the degradation of the fibers. Carpet that has been left out for tooo many years, with a lot of moisture will rot. for sure. Called a carpet depot... Dark brown outdoor carpet is not cheap, custom order. This is an experiment at best. Hope it works.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

Lizzah, I think the difference between carpet on soil and carpet on a deck is air circulation. Decks have narrow openings between the boards that allow water to drain and sir to reach the underside of the carpet, whereas dirt maintains a moist surface against the underside of the carpet, at least here in NH where we get something over 40" of precip annually.