Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The best okra variety you've grown?

Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 08 at 9:44

One last seed packet to get, and that's okra. I'm considering growing Clemson Spineless because I grew it years ago and loved it. It's reliable, highly recommended, and I can save the seeds! But that's the only one I've ever grown.

If you've grown it and other okra varieties, how did they compare? Production, plant size, pod size and texture, taste? You know, what we'd all want to know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The best okra variety you've grown?

Personally, my favorite is Stewart's Zeebest. It has long slender pods. Sometimes they are still tender at over 8". The plants branch more than Clemson Spineless. This is an heirloom from LA. There is a thread from 2006, with pictures. But I haven't been able to find it lately. Am very grateful for those working on this problem.

Anyway, the seed is now available through Southern Exposure, if I recall correctly.

George

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 30, 08 at 14:15

George

Thanks. I found it at Baker's Heirloom Seeds and may order it since you say it stays tender when it's relatively long.

I suspect the link below is the one you meant.

I worked outside today but didn't stay long -- it was just too cold, though I did get some more soil in one of the raised beds and set up an 8-foot trellis before coming back in. Ice was still on the overnight rainwater in the wheelbarrow and some damp soil in a bucket I'd left out had a solid-frozen center!

I was going to plant peas and lettuce but decided the weather is just a little too uncertain for the peas even if not for the lettuce. I'll give it another week and see if this cold spell breaks. It's supposed to get even colder tonight.

But we're certainly glad for the rain to ease the drought some.

It's a different kind of story when it comes to okra with its love of hot weather!

Here is a link that might be useful: This is probably the link you meant.

o

Yes Anney,

I'm sure that's the link. I'm away from home, in Mexico, for couple of weeks and don't get to the Internet that often, couldn't remember, and didn't want to take time to do a search. That's probably the only company carrying the seed at this time.

I received my seed, in a National Gardening Assoc. seed swap, back in the mid 90's, from someone in LA. Unfortunately I lost their name and contact info.

Here's a picture of Stewart's Zeebest.

Never mind. I put in a link since GW doesn't seem to be doing pictures anymore.

George

Here is a link that might be useful: Stewart's Zeebest okra

o

--GW doesn't seem to be doing pictures anymore.--

Sorry to hear that. I loved the pictures. Will miss them greatly.

o

That looks quite a bit like this White Velvet Okra that I grow. I like it because it remains tender at a larger size also. The first year that I grew it, I thought that it was perhaps a bit more bland than the others like Clemson Spineless etc. that I had grown before, but that grown from seed that I saved in the following years taste very good. I don't believe that it causes you to itch when gathering it as much as most of the other ones do, either, but that may just be my imagination.

It does not take much okra seed to go a long way, it is a very productive plant.
Bill P.

o

Emerald grew very well for me here in Massachusetts. The pods look similar to those of Stewart's Zeebest and White Velvet. Also, the pods were tender at large sizes like those varieties.

Cow Horn did not produce well for me. Maybe it does better in the South.

My neighbors did well with Clemson Spineless.

Jim

o

I second Emerald. It has been the best performer for me, but I do like the velvet types better than the ridged types. White Velvet and Green Velvet also do well. Cowhorn produces well, but I don't like the texture as well as the velvets. Have tried hybrids like Cajun Delight,Annie Oakley, and Blondie but not found any advantage in growing them. Blondie is extremely early and performed in southwest Virginia, where it was too cool for most okra. Oddest one I have grown is Beck's Big Buckhorn, which is more of a novelty, than a food okra. Great ornamental and edible. Clemson Spineless grows well here, but it gets tough quick. Not my favorite by any means. Ditto for Burgundy.

Here is a link that might be useful: emerald

o

I am also looking for another variety of okra to grow this summer. Has anyone ever grown Silver Queen? I saw this in a seed catalog and it was described as being "well branched with unique white/green pods."

o

I was also looking at Okra varieties the other day. I am very surprised about how many there are! At Cornell University's site there are several pages listed! I think Clemson is one of the "staple" okras available but the information that I got from reading the descriptions of some of the others makes me think that I need to be growing a variety other than Clemson.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ft2Garden.com

o

I've never heard of Zee Best variety of okra until today... I am currently working with my State Ag. University on seed increase of a variety that I've developed over the past several years. I call it "HEAVY HITTER" From what I've seen in photos of Zee Best okra, my new variety has it beat hands down. HEAVY HITTER produces over 50 branches and dozens of tender okra pods in succession, between 200-300 pods per plant, per season. It's won first place in every competition we've entered.

I don't know how to post photos or else I would.

o

It sounds like a great okra variety. I would love to buy some seeds if you have any for sale. I live in Georgia and okra is one of our most popular veggies. Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon!

o

Don't know if you'll get an answer two years after that last post. But if you google heavy hitter okra, you'll find where this guy is selling it. His email is in this post ill link to. I can't vouch for it, but it sounds intriguing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heavy hitter okra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here