Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

looking for southern SP varieties

pnbrown
9 years ago

I want to start some sweet-potato slips in florida this year and set them out well before any commercial places start shipping.

If anybody can spare a few tubers of any of the deep-south cultivars I'd be very happy to buy them, or if anybody knows of a better place to post this request.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Mine our deep south but maybe not as deep as you want. I am just north of the Florida/Georgia border. I grow my sweet potatoes from slips that grow on my supermarket potatoes. I harvested at least 50 lbs. of them this year. I have tiny fat roots available. My friend says she plants them with great success.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Mine our deep south but maybe not as deep as you want. I am just north of the Florida/Georgia border. I grow my sweet potatoes from slips that grow on my supermarket potatoes. I harvested at least 50 lbs. of them this year. I have tiny fat roots available. My friend says she plants them with great success.

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I could do that, and sometimes I do come across a cultivar in a grocery store that I might actually want to grow, but it's very rare and still I don't know what it is called. I only care for the fine-grained white and yellow fleshed types.

• planatus
    9 years ago

You could try tatorman.com if you don't find a trade.

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Whites and yellows are mostly northern or Asian, so it is going to difficult to find many in the south. Sandhill has a good selection and I do grow a white fleshed variety from time to time (White Triumph, Poplar Root,Violetta) I may have a Violetta in my potato storage. Georges plant farm (Taterman) will have O'Henry, Red Japanese, and White Triumph.Good plants and they do have early deleivery.

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Farmerdill, will you send me an email? You don't have a contact on your page. Thanks!

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Pn brown; I sent you an email, but email does not work well on GW, so I don't know if it was delivered

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't see anything that looked right for an email.

Anyway, the description of Violetta (on the sandhill list) sounds an awful lot like what tatorman calls 'red japanese'. I have plenty of those.

I can't see any advantage to using an early variety in FL, in fact it would seem a distinct disadvantage if one needs the tubers to cure in the sand and get pulled in the winter.

I'm going to take a chance on getting slips from George by march 25th or so.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Pnbrown, have you tried the white skinned / purple-fleshed Asian sweet potatoes? I share your preference for the white and yellow fleshed sweet potatoes, and the purple - while smaller - has similar qualities. They are long season (far too long for my climate) but should do very well in Florida. Chances are you could find stock in Asian markets; several markets near me are selling them now.

If you would like to try them & can't find them locally, send me an email. They dry out faster than commercial varieties, so you would want to start slips shortly after you acquire them.

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, that's a good thought, Zeedman, Asian markets. I guess a trip to downtown Orlando will be in orderâ¦I have not tried the purple-fleshed ones, but have heard the flavor is rather different from what we are used to.

Looks like I found someone to send me some tubers of Hayman, which is exiting.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH