Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vic447

What do you think of $6.95 ?

vic447
10 years ago

I was seduced this morning by an email for free shipping by BURPEE. They have Burpee's Best Squash @ $ 6.95 ! Now that must be some pretty special zucchini ( 20 per pkt ) Has anyone grown these, are they worth it?

Comments (14)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

It is just plain old zucchini after all. Zucchini is zucchini.

But if you are one who still buys into all the description hype that Burpee is noted for - their prices are only exceeded by their hype - then go for it. Personally I'd never pay that much for any pack of 20 seeds, much less one from Burpee.

JMO

Dave

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I agree. $6.95 for 20 seeds is just outrageous.

The description for Burpee's Best Hybrid: "Burpee Exclusive. Hail, the new Zucchini King, the new triple-crowner ruler of the zucchini patch. Brings zuke-lovers an earlier harvest, out of this world yields and exceptional vigor. 'Burpee's Best' is your go-to zuke for rich, buttery flavor and refined texture. Spine-free plants yield plentiful full-size 6-8â deep-green fruits."

Zucchinis are already fairly early fruiting. Any possible increase in yields are irrelevant since even with "regular" zucchini plants you'll run out of ideas on what to do with them anyway. Plus Zucchini are already vigorous if you keep them free of disease and pests. As for the an improved taste and texture, who knows. They only interesting thing I see is that they are spine free plants. But this is just my opinion.

Rodney

• vic447
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rodney and Dave, very good points. I might pay the $ 6.95 if they planted, watered, and weeded those seeds. Victoria

• seysonn
    10 years ago

In another topic is mentioned that Burpees has free shipping deal.
    I checked their site. They are selling $3.95 per pack. Well, that price includes more than shipping already. Then HD and Lowes are selling most of those seeds under 2 bucks.

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    10 years ago

$6.95 for 20 seeds is chump change compared to the $75.00 I paid for 13 seeds earlier this year haha.

But for zucchini? heck no, unless it grows bars of gold.

This post was edited by ZachS on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 22:59

• TheMasterGardener1
    10 years ago

"But for zucchini? heck no, unless it grows bars of gold."

I would even pay 7.95 if it grew bars of gold. :)

10 years ago

Ill raise you a nickel and say I MIGHT even pay 8 for it, but that'd be pushing it haha.

• Rollen
    10 years ago

Hint: Burpee seeds online are pretty high priced, but if you wait until Lowes or another local store has their seeds in store. The packets are normally $2.99 so if you have to have that variety maybe its worth waiting. I did that with their red colored corn that I wanted to try last year. I'm not sure they have everything, but it is quite a bit.

Also I'd rather get the seeds of Pinetree Seeds for $1.60 for 20 seeds which has some great varieties.

I've grown various kinds of zucchini (Ambassador, Black Beauty, Butta, Eightball, and growing Cashflow this upcoming year) over the last couple of garden seasons. All of them have done really well for me and produced so many I was taking them to work to put in the break-room for anyone to take home. All did well for multiple purposes (fried, grilled, and zuchini breads/bars) so I don't see the need to pay that much for seeds when I've never had a bad tasting zucchini plant. Is that one slightly better, maybe, but I find the others quite good.

Only way its worth the price is if it has some type of attribute that makes it able to grow in your area that the other varieties do not possess

• vic447
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ Rollen I forgot about Pinetree thanks for reminding me:)

@Zach what did you buy for $75.00 ??

10 years ago

My sister uses cannabidiol to help control her seizures, (which used to be readily available) but after a couple guys went on CNN to talk about the wonders of it, everyone and their mother came to Colorado to get ahold of it so now you have to be on a waiting list to get the CBD. Instead of having her be on that waiting list, I just grow a strain of no THC high CBD cannabis for her. As is the case with supply and demand however, the price of seeds keeps rising and rising and I will probably just stick to rooting cuttings from now on. $75 is actually on the low end, believe it or not, I read a recent newspaper article that said some seeds can go for hundreds of dollars PER SEED. And it's even more expensive for non-medical patients, with 25%+ taxes and all (boy am I glad I grew out of that stage of my life years ago haha).

Note: This is not intended to start an argument over the use of medical strains of marijuana or legalization of it. It has worked for her and our family, but I understand that it is a touchy subject and there are many different view points concerning it, all which I give my upmost respect. Therefore, I will not engage in a public debate on this forum. As far as I am concerned, this is a vegetable growing forum, not a place for political discussions or how to grow cannabis (there's plenty of other places for both of those). I like to come here to get help and advice about my true passion, growing heirloom vegetables. I intend to keep it that way.

This post was edited by ZachS on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 20:04

• vic447
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zach, I admire you helping your sister. As a nurse I understand the gap that available medical care can offer the patient with chronic disease. You do what you have to do. :) Victoria

PS but $6.95 for zucchini, now THAT should be against the law...lol

10 years ago

Thank you Victoria.

I agree, at 6.95, zucchinis are almost cheaper per pound at the grocery store, lol. That is criminal!

10 years ago

Thank you Victoria.

I agree, at 6.95, zucchinis are almost cheaper per pound at the grocery store, lol. That is criminal!

• tucson_tomato
    10 years ago

Dear Vic,

I think that price is really high. 5-10 cents per seed for a small packet is acceptable. Some hybrid seed sometimes goes for a lot more, but what is the use if you can only grow the plant once? There are some good open-pollinated varieties still left out there.